Darrell Arthur rejoins Grizzlies for good

La Bomba

Reserve forward Darrell Arthur has rejoined the Grizzlies -- at least as their biggest cheerleader.

Arthur, out up to fourth months after pectoral surgery, has been spotted on the team's bench at recent home games. He made his first road trip Sunday, and will stay with the team until he's ready to resume playing.

Arthur said he feels good about being around his teammates even though his return to the court is slated for late February or early March.

"It looks like we're getting settled," Arthur said of the Grizzlies. "We're moving forward in the right direction."

Team doctors told Arthur to take six weeks off and limit his travel following surgery during training camp.

Now, the second-year player is working on conditioning, he's stretching and dealing with light weights.

Arthur said he is hopeful he can return sooner than expected because his recovery is ahead of schedule so far. Arthur's range of motion has improved at a faster rate than doctors expected.

Despite never taking this much time off from basketball for any reason, Arthur remains upbeat.

"It's given me a chance to evaluate some things," Arthur said. "I've watched how Zach (Randolph) does things. And when I do get ready to play, I'll have a better idea about the guys I'll be guarding."

Staying positive is "all I can do," Arthur said.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/dec/14/no-headline---2009-12-13-232833700537/