Nuggets Lose Billups to Groin Injury

NJNJ

http://www.blogcdn.com/nba.fanhouse.com/media/2009/12/chauncey-billups-1209-200.jpg

DENVER -- Northwest Division rivals Portland and Utah have had injury problems. Now it's the Denver Nuggets' turn to at least be a little bit worried.

Star guard Chauncey Billups was lost early in the third quarter of Wednesday's 111-101 win over Houston at the Pepsi Center due to a left groin strain. While it's not believed to be a serious injury, he could miss some game time.

"He was going to get an MRI (Wednesday night), but the feeling I got was a couple of games (Billups would miss),'' said Nuggets coach George Karl. "Probably know a little more (Thursday) ... I got the feeling it wasn't going to be that long.''

Team officials called it a "precautionary MRI,'' and that results will be known Thursday morning.

Unlike the Trail Blazers and the Jazz, the Nuggets have been relatively healthy this season. Of the five players who have been starting regularly, forward Kenyon Martin is the only one who has missed any game action, having sat out three times.

Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony, though, isn't too concerned about Billups. He hopes he won't miss any games.

"(Billups) told me in the second quarter he did tweak it a little bit,'' Anthony said of Billups, who left for good with 9:06 left in the third quarter. "He was going to see the first minute (of the second half) and try to run on it in the third quarter and see how it feels. But I knew he was going to sit out the second half. I'm pretty sure it's OK. They say he walked out fine. He didn't want to take no chances with it, though.''

CONTINUE READING

• Owner

As I said in the game topic, Paul dropping his 30/9/19 probably wasn't due to Billups being out, since he just blew past anyone trying to defend him to begin with (and Billups would've suffered as well).

But, we'll see how this pans out. If Conley and a few others torch Denver in their next 3-4 games, maybe this hurts the Nuggets more than imagined, and maybe Lawson isn't ready yet.

After all, Carter started at the point, not Lawson, in that game versus the Hornets. I don't know why.