Kobe is kinda like Mike

kingfish

Kobe’s ability to make impossible shots at the buzzer is positively freakish. If he gets the ball airborne with the game on the line, everyone in the building thinks it’s going in. In that one Nike commercial Jordan admitted to missing 26 game-winning shots. Kobe may have missed as many, but it sure seems like he buries every one.

If — let’s face it, when — the Lakers go back-to-back this season, that will give Kobe five titles, one shy of Jordan. If he adds another selection to the All-NBA Defensive First Team, it will be his eighth, again one shy of Jordan. With LeBron James and Dwight Howard in their primes, Kobe won’t match Jordan’s five MVPs, but he was the best player in the league as we passed the quarter pole this season.

Kobe is 31. He has a whole lot of basketball ahead of him. Michael won three titles after he turned 33.

link

• Owner

I'm not that impressed with these articles anymore. These professional writers can't write about much of anything else, it seems. We've been reading these for about 4-5 years now, along with the new stuff about LeBron. It makes you wonder if some of these guys watch more than just those two play.

• Owner

Yep, and a TON of those probably came during the time they didn't have a post presence in Gasol or Shaq.

C - Kwame

PF - Odom

SF - Walton

SG - Kobe

PG - Smush

I don't think Kobe ever passed the ball on potential game-winners after Odom airballed one, and Walton didn't even shoot another. Those were two of the worst moments I remember from that time frame, especially that Walton situation against the Knicks, and Kobe was pissed.

Every game-winning situation, the opposition would push Bryant 30 feet away from the rim, double him and force him to shoot the long, long, long three. I'm surprised Phoenix didn't run him back to the three in Game 4 in 2006, when he hit that jumper over Bell and Diaw.

Yep, and a TON of those probably came during the time they didn't have a post presence in Gasol or Shaq.

C - Kwame

PF - Odom

SF - Walton

SG - Kobe

PG - Smush

I don't think Kobe ever passed the ball on potential game-winners after Odom airballed one, and Walton didn't even shoot another. Those were two of the worst moments I remember from that time frame, especially that Walton situation against the Knicks, and Kobe was pissed.

That's not what I'm arguing. The article states that it almost seems like he makes every potential game winning shot, when the reality is he only makes about 25% of them.

People glorify the ones he makes, and eventually forget the ones he's missed.

Edited by OldChili
  • Like 1

• Owner

That's not what I'm arguing. The article states that it almost seems like he makes every potential game winning shot, when the reality is he only makes about 25% of them.

People glorify the ones he makes, and eventually forget the ones he's missed.

I already knew what you were saying. I'm saying most of his misses probably came when teams could actually put two or three guys on him, and he was selfish enough not to pass the ball to anyone else.

He was more likely going to miss game-winners back in 2006 than he would this season, not to mention the Lakers were actually losing a lot of close games back then.

• Owner
The Lakers had a chance for the final shot, but Bryant passed to Luke Walton on the left side of the key, and Walton tossed the ball back to Bryant rather than taking a shot. Bryant wasn't expecting the pass and fumbled it briefly -- just enough time for Kurt Thomas to recover and block Bryant's look at the basket.

Bryant tried to dribble a few steps away for a buzzer-beater, but the clock ran out. He angrily spiked the ball to the ground and shot a glance at Walton as the Knicks celebrated.

"It was a mix-up in communication," Bryant said. "I kicked it to Luke and thought he had a pretty good look. He fired it back to me and I bobbled it.

• 2 weeks later...

When Kobe makes 53% of his shots then get back to me, MJ took just as many hard shots if not harder and was still a lot more efficient. Michael scored 37ppg and shot 48% from the field and Kobe 35ppg shooting 45%. Granted Kobe might be more of a clutch player I'll give him that but MJ is MJ and Kobe's Kobe and that should be it, I'm tired of this repetitive stuff.