Special Olympics

Keeylay

http://www.specialolympics.org/community/_images/unityHdr.jpg

I lost my job back in October, due to this unbelievable economy we live in, one of my dream jobs closed there doors. I worked at a Video Game store. pretty sweet right?

Since I have all this free time now, and I really have no idea what to do with myself, I have decided to volunteer to be a coach for the Special Olympics.

Im sure most of you guys know the awesome feeling you get when you play in an organized sport event. All the memories to gain from it. players and coaches. I wanted to help give that to them, its all about transforming lives, including mine

Remember the mentor, teacher or coach that made that difference in your life? The one who gave you the courage and determination to strive to be your best. The one who helped shape both your performance and your character. You can be that important figure in someone else’s life.

specialolympics.com

I wanna put that smile on someone face that deserves it, maybe sometimes a little more then we do.

I start coaching Jan 5th

EDIT

I know I posted it in the wrong forum part so if someone can please put it in the right spot, would be awesome. Sorry

Edited by Keeylay

• Owner

Very, very, very tough thing you stepped into. It's a great thing you're doing, though. I have a mentally challenged cousin that's three months younger than I am, and she does a lot with the Special Olympics, mainly basketball and bowling (I'm 110% sure she plays basketball the most). She's the reason I tried starting up "Shoot for the Stars" (and I guess I would've gotten in trouble for that, for some reason, according to some SO rep, even though it was non-profit).

Just a quick tip...smile when you're coaching them, and make jokes as you're doing it. If you don't, you'll run into some of them thinking they got into trouble and made you angry, and they get pretty upset over it. There was a referee about three years ago that called someone out of bounds during my cousin's game, and the kid went nuts, started crying and threw the basketball down the court. Even the smallest things tip the scales a bit, ref or coach.

Good stuff, though. Hope it's a great experience.

Very, very, very tough thing you stepped into. It's a great thing you're doing, though. I have a mentally challenged cousin that's three months younger than I am, and she does a lot with the Special Olympics, mainly basketball and bowling (I'm 110% sure she plays basketball the most). She's the reason I tried starting up "Shoot for the Stars" (and I guess I would've gotten in trouble for that, for some reason, according to some SO rep, even though it was non-profit).

Just a quick tip...smile when you're coaching them, and make jokes as you're doing it. If you don't, you'll run into some of them thinking they got into trouble and made you angry, and they get pretty upset over it. There was a referee about three years ago that called someone out of bounds during my cousin's game, and the kid went nuts, started crying and threw the basketball down the court. Even the smallest things tip the scales a bit, ref or coach.

Good stuff, though. Hope it's a great experience.

I know how they act to people very well, my parents had there own business working with them, so I really had no choice but to be around em' The best thing is not to be weird ed out by them. just act normal. I can understand them.Im excited to start working with them