Stan Van Gundy: Dwight Is A Better Defender Than Alonzo Mourning

The Regime

Stan Van Gundy has coached some excellent interior defenders, including P.J. Brown and Alonzo Mourning.

But Van Gundy says Dwight Howard, the NBA's reigning defensive player of the year, is on a different level.

"He's a better pick-and-roll defender, probably, than Alonzo was and a better shot-blocker than P.J. was," Van Gundy said. "There's just not much he can't do defensively. I think as a big guy he's as good as anybody I've been around."

Howard had a tough assignment Monday against the Utah Jazz when he guarded PF Carlos Boozer. He helped hold Boozer to 17 points.

Howard now has recorded 23 blocks in Orlando's last five games.

Link

Howard is so athletic that he can recover so easily on any broken plays and still get a block. He is an amazingly physically gifted player. I don't know how he will be as he gets older and his quickness and legs start to go though, Zo was able to maintain his defensive abilities through his entire career. Dwight might rely on his athleticism more than anyone in the NBA.

Thanks for the indirect shot.....you posted twice and it had nothing to do with your coach being a loud mouth do I could really care less.

And if you are trying to diss the Cavs then ouch....I really have no concern for the Hedoless Magic.

Thanks for the indirect shot.....you posted twice and it had nothing to do with your coach being a loud mouth do I could really care less.

And if you are trying to diss the Cavs then ouch....I really have no concern for the Hedoless Magic.

And you posted about how SVG is a big wuss, how does that have anything to do with him being a loud mouth? Indirect shot...

Hedoless Magic? Was that really even an attempt... we're 21-7. At least it would have made more sense to call Carter out.

But seriously, we know you're upset with your Cavs... it's showing a lot recently. So whatever, peace n God bless.

This guy is so obnoxious. I heard his comments on Jerry Sloan too and he just needs to shut up.

It's not like you hear Mike Brown say LeBron James is better than someone.

What did he say? I thought I remember him saying something, but I thought I remember it being really complimentary, so if you could clarify...

What did he say? I thought I remember him saying something, but I thought I remember it being really complimentary, so if you could clarify...

I can't find the quote but I on NBA TV they showed it. He was complimenting Sloan and it should've ended there. But then Van Gundy said that at the same time Sloan is crazy and I just remember it was a useless comment. My point is the guy doesn't know when to shut up.

I found the quote...

"I think it's absolutely phenomenal what Jerry has done. It's incredible,'' Van Gundy said before the Magic and Jazz tipped off Monday night. "For him to be able to do this for as long as he has, I don't know if that's great mental toughness, or if the guy is just out of his mind.''

"My god, I'm in my fifth season (third in Orlando) of this, and it's tiring. It's mentally wearing,'' Van Gundy said. "It's remarkable what Jerry has done. And it's remarkable for the organization.''

"Nothing in coaching impresses me as much as what Jerry has done. Phil Jackson's championships impress the hell out of me. John Wooden's championships (at UCLA) impress me,'' Van Gundy said. "But nothing impresses me more than what Jerry has done in Utah. I stand in awe, but with no desire to ever try and top him.''

Wow, really offensive stuff. Honestly dude, are you kidding me?

There isn't anything wrong with saying "He's a better pick-and-roll defender, probably, than Alonzo"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Owner

He's right in saying that Dwight is a better pick and roll defender than Zo when he was coaching Mourning.

He's wrong if he thinks that Dwight is a better overall defensive player than Alonzo was at almost any point of his career.