McGrady back to the Magic?

http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/images/photos/000/782/514/80820590.jpg.7708.0_feature.jpg?1261675822

Tracy McGrady will become a free-agent during the upcoming 2010 offseason when he states that he will sign with whichever team gives him the best chances of winning.

After competing against the Magic in Orlando the other night, McGrady was asked if he would play for his old team again, and his response was “of course”.

“If I was to come back, I was going to rent out (cousin Vince Carter’s) guest house,” McGrady said.

T-Mac back in Orlando would be awesome if he was willing to play his defensive role once again like when he was a rookie/his Toronto days. My concern is that he will never be able to be a role player, he has always been a Gilbert Arenas type of scorer anyways.

He is still a really talented and versatile player, people just over-blow his scoring abilities, he is a streaky scorer but can have nights where he goes 8-26 from the field and just keep shooting.

You would have to be dumb to not be at least intrigued, in the Magic's position, if someone as talented as T-Mac was interested in your team. He would probably have to come off the bench though. But the Magic would be adding to what is already probably the deepest team in the league, it would just be a cool story to see T-Mac and the Magic/VC reunite.

Yikes. T-Mac back in Orlando. If everyone else stays put, that could make a damn good team on paper.

Nelson - Carter - McGrady - Lewis - Howard.

That's basically an all star team right there. That would be a crazy exciting team to watch if they can pull off the right chemistry.

Edited by Poe

There is only one ball to go around, would be hard to get everyone to buy into the system. I also think Pietrus would be better in the SL because he is the better spot up shooter. I doubt T-Mac would be interested in playing less than 30 minutes a game at this point anyways.

With how much he is hurt it is easy to forget he is only 30 though, so he might be able to contribute as a second option or a core guy still.

Its hard to say whether he will stay or not. To me it comes down to several issues.

- Is willing to be patient for a contract offer from Houston? I'm sure he knows that he isn't on the top of our target list. Once the free agency period hits, Morey is going to go straight after bigger names (Bosh, JJ, Lebron?). Is he going to jump right after the first fat contract that is offered to him? Once Morey is done with the FA fiasco THEN Tracy will have the attention of the Rockets front office.

- How much of a pay cut is he willing to take? I would pay him nothing more than $7-8 million.

- His play this season is a huge factor on whether Houston even wants him at all. Does he mesh with the core? He is a liability on the offensive or defensive end of the court? How productive will he be? He's looking solid so far but its too early to make judgment.

- Is he willing to take the backseat? Say hypothetically the Rockets sign a wing like Joe Johnson or Rudy Gay. Tracy will likely be not in the starting lineup because Adelman would prefer starting Ariza next to a scorer. Like it or not, one of the main purposes this season is to develop Trevor Ariza into a 2nd or 3rd option once Yao comes back.

- Is Les Alexander still gushing about Tracy McGrady? Most Rocket fans have been aware of our owner's infatuation with T-Mac for years. Recent reports are that he still likes having Tracy with team, which makes me believe that he won't be traded and that Les will reach out for Tracy's return in the offseason.

There are just too many factors at play here.

He's going to a team that won't make he 2nd round of the playoffs.....I can't see him on a contending team coming off the bench. He's still in his "prime" meaning he's still young, it's just does he still have as much talent as he did as an all star?