What are the chances....

The Regime

that we make a trade for a backup pg or another valuable asset off the bench. Fish played nearly 35 minutes tonight as a result of poor play from Farmar. A guy Fish's age should never be playing that many minutes. I still dont understand why Phil gives Shannon Brown limited pt, he not only gives us a a good hustle player but a good shooter and a lock down defender. It was absolutely disgusting watching Fish and Farmar struggle fighting through screen and rotating late. I realize that Walton is injured, but honestly how much of an impact does he really have. Any ideas? Please don't give me any of that "it's only one game" crap, watching us lose tonight was just disgusting! Sorry if it seems like I'm [expletive]ing, but the way we lost today was embarrassing. :angry:

Edited by Confidence

The bench is flat out pathetic. Everyone all the way to Odom was pathetic tonight. It killed me watching Farmar, Sasha, even Shannon, throw up brick after brick. They were what Phil was talking about no ball movement, they just chucked garbage shots and missed them then the Cavs started to pull away. It gave the starters no room for error. Chances are we wont trade for anyone, even if we do, the stupid triangle limits anyone from coming here and just jumping right into action, according to Phil it takes time to learn it. Pretty much screwed with the bench, luckily come playoff time it doesnt usually matter, but were not a very deep team.

We can make a trade if we want one. We have quite a few assets: expirings in Morrison, Farmar and Fish (doubt Fisher gets traded). We have some picks that can be dealt, all in all, it just depends if the management wants to make a move. I do agree that our bench has been pretty bad this year. Lamar looks like he's sleepwalking again, he must be more aggressive and assertively take the lead role of the second unit. Until he does that, we'll continue to struggle. Farmar sucks and Sasha sucks, we all know that. Shannon is serviceable, but he cannot create his own, which is one of his biggest weaknesses. He is a great role player when he plays within his limits, but once he starts looking for shots he is ineffective. The ball movement in the second unit is piss poor, which is why I'm looking forward to Luke returning. Hate him all you want, but he facilitates the offense and creates ball movement, which is what we're desperately lacking.

If I'm Mitch, I look to package Farmar/Morrison with Memphis's 2nd round pick to any team looking to clear salary and pick some useful pieces up to help this team. In all, we're not in bad shape. One game doesn't determine everything, we just came out flat against the Cavs, everyone on the roster. If the bench continues to struggle though when Luke is back, I expect Mitch to start shopping around.

Until then, I'm not worried.

Given the appetite for last year contracts I'd be surprised if the Lakers don't move Farmar and Morrison by the deadline. Rumors of that package offered to Chicago (along with Sasha) for Hinrich and to New York for Duhon. Maybe they are also looking at Sessions and Felton as potential targets.

With the horrific bench play and the need to get a new starting 1 ready for next year a trade is necessary. Potentially that can be a combo guard that can back up at 1 and 2 now and then start at 1 next year. They had hoped that would be Shannon Brown but now it may have to change to a trade acquisition instead.

I was actually reading this post on here: http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2009/12/18/so-you-think-the-lakers-are-going-to-make-a-trade/ a few days ago and they made some interesting points, Sasha and Morrison definitely need to go for sure, but who would even want a player like Sasha anymore at this point, I've been hoping there's a team out there stupid enough to take take him though. Farmer is eh so-so sometimes he plays really well other times like last night he sucks, and it's pretty obvious Fish should not be starting. All I know is the bench needs to step up and quit forcing our starters to play so many minutes.

No one in their right mind would deal for Sasha, but there is an opportunity if a team is looking to create the cap room to go shopping this summer in free agency. That's why they've floated Farmar, Ammo, Sasha to Chicago for Hinrich. The Bulls need to move Hinrich, he makes a ton next year, and if LA offers Farmar, Ammo, Sasha then the Bulls cut 4M off their cap. Obviously what they want instead is just Farmar and Morrison, that way Chicago clears 9M, but LA won't do it, too much payroll and too high a tax bill. The Lakers are hoping Chicago can't get a better offer for Hinrich than clearing 4M off the cap.

Willie - Chicago has been shopping Hinrich but wants to deal him on their terms aka no post 2010 salary back. Thing is no one is willing to do that. Few teams even want Hinrich given his salary, but LA is one of them, they've liked Captain Kirk for a long time.

Few players are less movable than Sasha but Redd and Gadzilla are two of them, radioactive contracts. No one touches those two.

Please give me some Michael Redd, he would be PERFECT for this team. He would spread the floor with us and using him with Kobe in the same lineup would be a dream.

We dont need anyone though, people said the same thing last year about our team, were fine once Walton comes back and Odom gets his head out the sink.

Hinrich is a huge question mark. He's an upgrade over Fish/Farmar, but that's not saying much. Farmar is an absolute scrub, and Fish is unreliable 90% of the time, he only wakes up when the game's on the line. That being said though, Kirk's shooting percentages are TERRIBLE. He's shooting 36% from the field, and only 34% from beyond the arc. He has struggled these last two seasons, or ever since he signed the contract extension. He is also getting paid a crap load of money, for being just an average/backup PG. So although he may be an upgrade over what we have now, I don't know if it's a smart move to make at this point. He's vastly overpayed and overrated (seeing how some Laker fans think he is a savior).

Hinrich does three things well outside of stats that the Lakers need. Defend. Post entry. Backup 2. Which is why they are interested in him but only if they get to dump Sasha in the process. Hinrich would get wide open looks in LA that he wouldn't in Chicago. He is overpaid but it's frontloaded, his money goes down each year which makes him easier to deal down the road provided he resuscitates.

Captain Kirk is not a savior but he is clearly an upgrade. If they can do better then fine, but who? Felton is another guy they have been interested in for a long time, but LA has already gone to the well so often with the Cats that the Lakers have nothing left that Charlotte would want. Felton is a last year so they get no cap savings by dealing him.

Duhon is another target, his game is coming around, but his shot has been suspect. He'd be the passer they need, but his lack of footspeed is an issue. Sessions, also on the block, good passer, but he needs the ball and signed a sizable contract. Arenas is on the block but way too big a price tag. I like Charlie Bell but he's been inconsistent. I like Collison and Chalmers but neither can be had. You run down the options of what Farmar and Morrison can get in trade and Hinrich may very well be the best they can do. You have a better option in mind that's realistic in trade and price tag then name him.

Redd is impossible for LA, max player, Buss can't just ignore taxes.

• Owner

I've been saying it for two or three years now: I want Hinrich in LA. That defense is what lures me in. While everyone criticizes him for how badly he defended Bryant...why not do that to everyone? I don't see anyone stopping him.

But Kirk can defend two positions on the floor, sometimes three (depending on the forward).

The shooting percentages don't worry me, either. We went over this with Trevor Ariza. With Bryant facilitating the offense, Hinrich gets open looks all day long, especially when there's a post presence in Gasol.

Get Hinrich, start him at the point, bring Fisher and Brown off the bench as our secondary backcourt, and we run with that. I'd be one of the happiest Laker fans in the world.