A Nice little look at the impact of Hedo on the Raptors offense

BasX

Here is a statistics representation of the impact Hedo Turkoglu has had on the Toronto Raptors through his assist totals:

Games With 5 or more Assists

Record: 11-3 (.833)

W - Detroit (6)

W - LA Clippers (5)

W - Miami (8)

W - Indiana (7)

L - Washington (6)

W - Chicago (5)

L - Atlanta (8)

W - Houston (5)

W - New Jersey (7)

W - New Orleans (7)

W - Detroit (11)

W - Detroit (6)

W - Charlotte (5)

L - Boston (7)

Games Under 5 Assists

Record: 7-15 (.333)

W - Cleveland (3)

L - Memphis (1)

L - Orlando (4)

W - New Orleans (4)

L - Dallas (3)

L - San Antonio (2)

W - Chicago (4)

L - Phoenix (3)

L - Denver (0-DNP)

L - Utah (4)

L - Orlando (2)

L - Charlotte (2)

L - Boston (3)

L - Phoenix (3)

L - Atlanta (1)

W - Washington (3)

W - Minnesota (4)

L - Milwaukee (3)

L - Miami (4)

L - Orlando (4)

W - San Antonio (DNP)

W - Orlando (4)

Bold is games missed by Jose Calderon.

Now, the meaning is has to the Toronto Raptors could be interpreted in different ways. However, there is no doubt that the higher the assist count for Hedo, the better the team does. Of the two losses with Hedo >5 assists, the Atlanta game stands out as the game that they for sure should have lost, and did. However, they had more than a chance to beat the Wizards, and did so a few days later in Washington.

I am of the opinion that Jose as the primary ball handler with Hedo in the game really hurts the Raptors, and if the Raptors could design a way for Hedo to control the offense the whole time when Jose is on the floor, you have to think offensively the team will respond positively.

I just found this trend interesting.

Edited by BasX

i dont see much change to be honest your only winning to losing teams and losing to winning teams with or without the assists

the only legit win out of them all is the cavs but hedo only had 3 assists so to me it isnt saying much

I understand the lower quality of teams makes the stats look worse, but these stats are not surprising when watching the team play. The ball movement is much better when Hedo has it and let's not forget a few weeks ago the Raptors were in the middle of the pack with teams like Chicago, Indiana, Detroit, Milwaukee, Charlotte, but has since then risen above and it can be partially attributed to Hedo having the ball in his hands more.

I know we have been playing worse teams which helps our record obviously. But we are also playing better too, it's not always in the numbers, but we are hustling and going for loose balls. The young guns have been playing great. I think the problem is against the veteran teams, the contenders, the young guys get exposed. When we play the lower level teams the young guys are more effective. At least this is what I am thinking, I am anxious to see how we play against the Celtics and Spurs if we win again tonight and take our streak to 5.