KG Likely to Miss 10 More Days

The Regime

Celtics coach Doc Rivers said Saturday that forward Kevin Garnett could miss another 10 days with a hyperextended right knee. Garnett was kicked in his surgically repaired knee twice during a three-game trip this past week.

"KG's still 10 days, maybe, I don't know," said Rivers before Boston's win over Toronto.

"I have no idea, I honestly don't. There is some history with hyperextended knees that we kind of know that it takes at least two weeks, sometimes three. We know it won't be longer than that, but we don't know how quickly. There's a history there -- not with [Garnett] -- but with league history."

Rivers added that he doesn't see Garnett's injury as a long-term issue.

"It won't be that long," he said Friday. "When I did this, I looked at the schedule and the days off, and I thought this was the time to do it."

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/63783/20100103/garnett_likely_to_miss_10_more_days/

• Owner

Garnett and that knee...

I know they say it's nothing like that (nothing to really worry about), but it's the same one. Knee injuries and older players don't mix well together.

Boston won't crash and burn without Garnett, though, but if this becomes something they'll have to be concerned with up until April or May, I don't see them reaching the ECF.

• 2 weeks later...
It's definitely not set in stone, but the Celtics may get forward Kevin Garnett back on Jan. 22 against the Trail Blazers.

"We would have a practice day the day before (Jan. 22)," Boston coach Doc Rivers said Friday night. "I'm just glad that he's running right now. We'll have a couple of practices over the next week where he can get on the floor and work with us.

"We'll play him when he's ready, and that's it. But there's an outside chance that Portland could be the return game for him."

Garnett is recovering from a hyperextended right knee, but was cleared to resume workouts earlier this week.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64067/20100116/garnett_may_return_on_jan_22/