Official Health & Fitness Thread

Dumbbells of multiple weights for shoulder lifts, tricep lifts, and bicep lifts. Also having bands is good too. You may need a pull-up bar, but bands tied to something is a good alternative if you don't have one. Make sure you have a lot of space when you do the workouts too.

How much did you get p90x for? and does the supplies come with it?

Edited by Legacy

Nets15VC, If I were trying to improve my bench press max, should i be doing 5 or 10 reps in sets?

Less weight + more reps

or

More weight + less reps

Either way it's fine, less weight and more reps gets you lean, more weight and less reps gets you bulkier.

Edited by Bulletproof

Nets15VC, If I were trying to improve my bench press max, should i be doing 5 or 10 reps in sets?

Bench press max?

Definitely go heavy and less reps. For your last set try doing your max.

Also if you have a good spotter, never really did it, but it will get your body used to heavy weight. Put on weight you can not do and go down as slow as possible with the weight and then the spotter will need to be a good one and lift it up with you.

so nets, can you clarify, need somebody credible to talk to me about this since no one is doing it right now.

Nice indirect insult. I already explained it all to you.

Max out = one final rep with the most possible weight you can do. End your bench workout with that. If you still don't understand, then you really shouldn't be lifting in the first place.

Bench press max?

Definitely go heavy and less reps. For your last set try doing your max.

Also if you have a good spotter, never really did it, but it will get your body used to heavy weight. Put on weight you can not do and go down as slow as possible with the weight and then the spotter will need to be a good one and lift it up with you.

So Nets, do I do 1 rep in the very last one? What sets and reps would you suggest for certain workouts to improve benching?

Towards the end of my benching session I'm usually worn out.

For me, I usually start out with a lower weight to warm up. I start out doing a lot of reps and then add weight gradually until I start repping near max weight. After doing a couple of reps there I'm usually exhausted and gradually decrease my weight again.

That's how I've been doing it and it works for me. I guess you gotta try your own thing, but I always wear down towards the end.

If you really want to bulk up your chest do incline and decline bench presses as well. They workout your upper and lower pecs.

Also do flies, which helps shape and tone up your pecs/chest, but I heard it doesn't really help increase your bulk too much.

Edited by Artesticle

Towards the end of my benching session I'm usually worn out.

For me, I usually start out with a lower weight to warm up. I start out doing a lot of reps and then add weight gradually until I start repping near max weight. After doing a couple of reps there I'm usually exhausted and gradually decrease my weight again.

That's how I've been doing it and it works for me. I guess you gotta try your own thing, but I always wear down towards the end.

Not bad. :glasses:

I edited my post.

Do incline and decline bench presses and flies as well if you're looking to develop your pecs and chest area.

Thanks for the advice, so what other workouts would you suggest that could possibly help my benching? like dumbbell routines or barbell routines is what i'm looking at.

Thanks for the advice, so what other workouts would you suggest that could possibly help my benching? like dumbbell routines or barbell routines is what i'm looking at.

I'm not really an expert at this stuff, just relaying what I know.

If you want to increase the amount you can bench, the best exercise for that is to just bench. Just like if you want to increase how much you want to curl, the best exercise is to curl.

If you're only looking to increase your bench press weight, I guess you should just stick towards the flat bench presses. Keep working on that and you'll get better.

But if your looking to develop your chest/pecs, the best way about it is to do a variety of exercises, such as incline/decline bench and flies. You'll find that these exercises are all different. For an example, I can bench more on an incline bench than a decline bench, but I bench most on a flat bench.

But I would recommend you try different exercises. They work out different parts of the same muscle and you get bigger/toner that way.

• Like 1

Give me a dumbbell routine to improve my bench.

You're on the football team right, just ask your teammates or coaches they'll definitely help you.

You want just dumbbells to improve your bench?

Dumbbell flat bench

Dumbbell incline bench

Dumbbell flies

You're on the football team right, just ask your teammates or coaches they'll definitely help you.

You want just dumbbells to improve your bench?

Dumbbell flat bench

Dumbbell incline bench

Dumbbell flies

I'm planning on joining, but I'm doing their workouts and they are having this circuit workout, 3 times a week after an hour of those real workouts where you write your progress on a sheet. I will talk to coach though, but I just wanted to know what I could do in the mean time. '

Would military dumbbells work too?

and Nets, would you suggest that if one day I decided to work on biceps, I would have to work on triceps as well to even them out? Also, last question Is the most important body part to work on to improve your bench is your chest?

To get bigger arms people think its all biceps, but triceps are actually 3/4 of your arm. I like to have an arm day where I workout bicep and triceps together. But you dont have to work them out together, you can do biceps with back or triceps with chest as some people do, its all about how you feel comfortable working out.

Yeah bench is an important workout and it works out your chest but to improve your bench you need to improve other body parts as well mostly your triceps and shoulders as well, they give you the extra power to your reps.

• Like 1