Spurs' Ginobili to Pop: No more starts

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/272.jpg

Spurs' Ginobili to Pop: No more starts

----------

"Recalling what happened the last time the Spurs played the Mavericks, Spurs guard Manu Ginobili has a request of coach Gregg Popovich: Don't even think about putting me in the starting lineup.

It was in the Nov. 18 game in Dallas, his one and only start of the season, that Ginobili suffered a strained left groin. The injury cost him five games on the inactive list and limited minutes during the first few games after his return to action, on Nov. 29 against the 76ers.

"I guess that was my only start of the last few years, and probably the last start of my career," Ginobili said after the Spurs' 112-92 victory over the Pistons on Wednesday night. "No doubt. No question."

Nodding in the direction of second-year guard George Hill, who plays both guard positions, Ginobili avowed his preference to continue coming off the bench.

"Now," he said, "I say to Pop: 'No. Bring George. George starts.'"

Ginobili said the groin strain occurred on a routine play, as he pushed off on a first step on a drive to the basket.

"I remember I had the ball, and on my first step to the basket to penetrate it happened," he said. "It wasn't like a big thing, but it started to get tight, tight, tight, and then I couldn't make lateral moves on the floor, so I said no more, let's not risk too much."

Ginobili likes his role as a fourth-quarter finisher, and looks forward to tonight's game against a team that ranks as one of the Spurs' prime rivals.

"It's always an exciting game," he said. "We've got a great rivalry going on that's been going on for some years. The whole atmosphere is nice, exciting. I really can't wait."

---

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Ginobili_to_Pop_No_more_starts.html