Lakers after Bosh...with Bynum?

Real Deal

Guest California Dreamin'
The agent for Andrew Bynum was caught off-guard like the rest of the Lakers world by the New York Post story speculating that the Lakers are interested in sending the young center to Toronto for Chris Bosh. “I had no idea,” said agent David Lee on Monday. “I wish he (the reporter) had called me. I’m in New York.”

Lee said any “talks” between the teams would be a bit difficult considering Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak currently is out of the country.

http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/2010/01/11/news-is-news-to-bynums-agent/28283/

kingfish - Bosh's free agency isn't a barrier, you can make extend and trade deals. The barrier is money. Would Buss be willing to pay max to Kobe, Pau and Bosh? If anything stops this it's payroll and taxes.

Boston would not be an issue. Simmons is terrified of Bosh to LA for good reason. The Thibodeau defense is predicated on swarming Kobe and daring a Laker big to hit an uncontested j from the elbow or a guard hitting a 3 on a kick out. Put Bosh at the elbow and he buries that open jumper all day. The entire scheme of two guys between Kobe and the hoop is no more because Bosh would bury them. You want to make sure the Lakers take down Boston, get Bosh.

Defensively Bynum gives them size but just like Shaq the big dog doesn't need to just be fed for him to play defense it has to be full. Constantly. How are you going to keep Bynum full on a team with Kobe and Gasol and terrible post entry passing? You're not. Bosh would set up elbow and keep the ball moving or bury the open j, defenses would be toast.

The problem is defensively. Bosh is a good weak side shotblocker when motivated, but Bosh as a first option shifting to 2nd or 3rd isn't going to guarantee solid D from him either. However Bosh is quick and the defensive rotations would be far superior to what they are now. The issue for Bosh is his vulnerability to surrender scoring position on the block.

Given what Bosh does for the offense I make the trade, but it would require a shift in defensive philosophy. No more anchor, far more emphasis on rotations. The issue is Pau to center can bang him up and after all his games played in the last two years he's more fragile this year. Final issue is a Bosh trade deadline uses all the assets, leaving them with no means to add a 1. Fisher is now glue factory so not adding a 1 would be a huge gamble. I still make it. Bosh is what the offense would need and the east would have no answer defensively for LA.

• Owner

Great post, Sky.

And just a quick mention of our offensive rating: 12th, points per 100 possessions.

Defensive rating? First.

I think we need that green light to get our offense flowing again, especially if Kobe is going to be injured all season long.

RealGM says the deal isn't happening, which of course could just be a smokescreen. I want this to happen, only if Bosh says he is leaving obviously, not only because Bynum is an amazing way to save face but because Bosh could go and win a ring. If he went to LA everyone would start slobbing on him and realize he is a top player, he would finally get into the media spotlight more playing in LA. Honestly this team could be one of the best ever on paper with Chris Bosh, you would have 3 guys there who can score as a number 1 option on an NBA team, along with Artest and Odom.

Edited by travesy3

Jim Buss isn't going to trade away Bynum, not after pushing for him hard in the draft, not after giving him that extension. While a trade like this would make sense, and I would do it, there's no way Jim Buss will on board for it. Bynum is his boy.