Hedo Turkoglu Uncomfortable With His Role

Turkoglu, who signed a five-year $53-milliion deal US with Toronto this summer, admitted yesterday he is uncomfortable with his role at a time when just about everyone else on this Raptors roster seems to have found a comfort zone.

"The things I can't do -- I don't know if you followed me much (in Orlando) and how I played there -- I just can't do the things without the ball. Even today, I had nine assists, but the things about how I play are as much about how much I get the ball and how I get myself going and my teammates too."

In short, Turkoglu is not playing with the ball in his hands as much as he was accustomed to in Orlando and he's having a hard time making an impact in games without it.

"It's hard for me to tell you right now that I can run down the side and just expect to be a spot-up guy after the past three years being the point guard and leading the team and making those decisions," Turkoglu said. "Still, I will try to be out there and try to do my best and hopefully things will turn around."

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/basketball/2010/01/11/12416266-sun.html

Turkoglu has been pretty pathetic this season for the most part, if you ask me. Whether that is because he doesn't have the ball enough, is uncomfortable or is simply overrated, I don't know, but the more and more I watch him play, the more and more I wish the Raptors had just re-signed Marion. Turkoglu is looking like a huge bust for this team. He just doesn't fit in, and, like I said in the summer, he was made out to look better than he actually is when he was playing in Orlando because in Toronto, he looks like nothing more than a bigger version of Calderon.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

It made me sick when people would genuinely think he was the MVP of our team last season. It kinda sucks it's not working out in Toronto for him. I watched an interview with him a few days ago and he was saying how he asks his teammates "Give me one good reason why I'm here." and saying he hates the cold, idk, just seemed like he's accepted that he isn't gonna win many games and is just enjoying his money.

Our coaching staff is too dumb to realize that Jose and Hedo can't co-exist. Jose is a ball whore, and Hedo obviously needs the ball to be effective.

While I agree Hedo has been relatively disappointing, I still believe he can help make this team better. He can affect the games, at least offensively, in so many different ways.

Edited by travesy3

We do have Jose coming off the bench, that part is fine. It's mainly that the end of games when our lineups is Jack, Jose, Hedo, Andrea and Bosh. That is where a lot of the problems lie and thus Hedo is forced to be a jump shooter.

We do have Jose coming off the bench, that part is fine. It's mainly that the end of games when our lineups is Jack, Jose, Hedo, Andrea and Bosh. That is where a lot of the problems lie and thus Hedo is forced to be a jump shooter.

Well, its not like Hedo has actually done anything in the 4th quarter, even when he is given the ball and is able to create. I honestly don't even think that there has been a game this season when Hedo actually took over in the 4th, like he wants to be given the opportunity to do. He hit that one shot in Washington during OT that gave the Raptors the win, but if I remember correctly, he did nothing in the 4th quarter which was a big reason why the game actually went into OT in the first place.

Its one thing to complain when you have actually done something worth a damn, its another thing when you have been given opportunities and done nothing with them.

Don't get me wrong, the Raptors should give Turk the ball more frequently but he really hasn't done much when he has been given the ball. You need to earn your touches, and Hedo hasn't done that, at least in my opinion.

I completely agree, he has done little in the 4th all year. Personally, if it is the last shot in the game, minus the Philly game where Bosh was clutch, I almost feel most confident in Bargnani taking the shot. He seems to be the 4th quarter guy we need. Sadly, when you rely on your big to take big 3's and defend the post, it is a formula that can rarely work.

I'm still most comfortable with giving the ball to Bosh about 15 feet away (like they did against Philly and San Antonio) and having Bargnani on the opposite wing for an easy kick out if the team decides to double Bosh. I know that Bosh hasn't always been the most reliable player in late clock scenarios, but I also don't think that he is as bad as some Raptor fans make him out to be. This year he has been easily the best Raptor in the clutch and has made some great decisions in short clock scenarios.

Bargs has proven that he is capable of knocking down a clutch shot off of a kick out, but I wouldn't trust him at all to do anything other than that, at this stage in his career. He is a great option to have on the floor because of his shooting ability, which makes teams hesitant to double and also brings spacing to the floor, which allows Bosh more room to operate, but I wouldn't trust him to do more than that, as of right now.

Trade Hedo for Vince. :)

I know that a lot of Raptor fans would probably be against this idea, but I would actually probably pull the trigger on a deal like that. Carter's contract is not appealing to say the least, but he only has one more year left on the deal (a team option for the 3rd). He is still the better player than Turkoglu is as well.

If it was offered, I would definitely be all for the trade.

Lol, Vince has definitely been a disappointment for me this year. I thought he would take the Magic to the next level, but I never realized how incompetent Nelson was at running the offense. I understood Hedo ran the offense a lot, but I didn't realize he practically played PG for them, lol.

17 PPG on 39% though, I guess that is what happens when you expect VC to be a jumpshooter.

I would take VC for Hedo too, but only because of the contracts lol. Frankly at this point I don't know if I want either of them, VC would probably be better suited in a role like Toronto though. I wonder if the Magic would do that though, it would definitely be interesting if BC proposed that lol.

Edited by travesy3