Colangelo Not Done Tweaking In Toronto

Raptors president Bryan Colangelo was working the phones on Saturday, even after landing Hedo Turkoglu on Friday night.

Colangelo is trying to work a deal that would allow him to keep one of his current players or land someone in a sign-and-trade that would make more money for free agent Shawn Marion.

His exact plans weren't known, but a number of sources kicked around the idea of Toronto trading Kris Humphries for a draft pick or other considerations.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60343/20090705/colangelo_not_done_tweaking_in_toronto/

I like the Humphries for a draft pick if it were to happen. Not because the draft pick would be great or anything like that, but because it would free up about 3 million dollars (or is it 3.5? Whatever) and that could definitely help the Raptors out and give them some more wiggle room to shore up their roster and strengthen their bench. If Colangelo is able to somehow add some depth to the Raptors and give them at least a serviceable bench, I will not be against the Turkoglu signing as much and won't have such a negative outlook on the team lol. I am not against signing Turkoglu because I like his game, but eliminating any and all depth the Raptors had in the process is what makes me hate the signing. If Colangelo is albe to give the Raptors a bench that won't be a complete disaster and can be relied on at times, I will warm up to the Turkoglu signing immensely.

I have said it before and I'll say it again, Colangelo is hyped up to be this great general manager, well it is make or break for him right now if you ask me. He absolutely needs to develop a bench and put together some depth for the Raptors because as of right now the Raptors are a 4 man team (5 if DeRozan is able to step in and contribute immediately which is anything but a sure thing).

I heard we give up the rights to our MLE with the signing too....? If that is true then that sucks soooo bad. I wanna see the Hump-Dooling deal go down, I hate Ukic so much.

EDIT- Just read they may not sign him right on Wednesday in hopes of trading AP, Marion and Delfino to get some valued depth who are under contract, never though of this, I hope Hedo would be willing to wait maybe a few extra days so BC could get some deals done.

Edited by travesy3

I heard we give up the rights to our MLE with the signing too....? If that is true then that sucks soooo bad. I wanna see the Hump-Dooling deal go down, I hate Ukic so much.

I have heard the same thing, but I have also heard that the Raptors didn't give up their rights to their MLE as well so I really don't know what to think.

The reason why I was so clearly against the signing in my first couple of posts about it was because I was under the impression that the Raptors did not have the MLE to use after the signing, but then you and a couple of other posters at a couple of different forums have said that we do have the MLE to use. The same amount of people have said that the Raptors don't have the MLE to use either.

I didn't think that we had the MLE to use but so many people have insisted that we did.

I heared we offered 4 years 32, but then later that day we agreed with Hedo so I guess Marion wanted more.

And when I was talking about using the MLE I basically assumed we got it, I don't even get why we have to denounce the rights to those players in the first place, but the CBA is what it is.

I heared we offered 4 years 32, but then later that day we agreed with Hedo so I guess Marion wanted more.

And when I was talking about using the MLE I basically assumed we got it, I don't even get why we have to denounce the rights to those players in the first place, but the CBA is what it is.

The Raptors had to renounce the rights to Marion, Parker and Delfino in order to get far enough under the cap to be able to sign Marion. I don't know exactly how to explain it but I'll try to make it make sense.

Even when you are a free agent, you still count against the cap (the exact amount is determined by your previous contract and what type of free agent you are). You will continue to count against the team that you had just played for cap until you sign a new contract or the team renounces your rights.

So even though the Raptors didn't have Delfino, Parker or Marion under contract, they still counted against the cap and in order to sign Turkoglu, the Raptors had to renounce their rights to give them the sufficient cap space required to sign Hedo. If they didn't renounce the rights to those three players they wouldn't have enough cap room to sign Turkoglu.

I hope that made sense, it is kind of hard to explain because I just became familiar with the whole renouncing players last season and up until then I had no clue what it meant.