Nowitzki: Bargs is way more athletic than I ever was

BasX

“He’s way more athletic than I ever was,” Nowitzki said of Bargnani, his fellow 7-footer. “He’s shooting way quicker, he’s got a quick first step. He’s a tough matchup because he’s so quick now off the dribble and he’s shooting the ball really well this year.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2010011728

Very nice praise.

Dirk is so much more versatile offensively, Bargnani still gets the most of his points off spot up jumpers, a lot from 3 land. But Bargnani, since Smitch got fired last year, has continually progressed and there is no doubt that he is our second best player now.

I think Bargnani has potential to be a better defender than Dirk though, especially since Bargs is bigger with potential to man up on legitimate Centers.

Bargnani will never be as good as Dirk offensively though. Bargs looks like a really good second option if he can continue to get better and round his game out.... this is why I want Bosh to stay, with the strides Bargs is making they could form an un-guardable C-PF combo.

A good example of how far Bargs has come, was when he made that quick move past Dirk for the and 1 dunk today. A quick, confident move by Bargs.

Edited by travesy3

^^^.. Dirk was a spot up shooter just like him at the begining of his career...

In Dirk's 4th season he averaged 22.2 ppg/9.4 rpg/2.3 apg/1 bpg

In Barg's 4th season he is averaging 17.2 ppg/6.5 rpg/1 apg/1.4 bpg

Outside of their rookie seasons, Dirk and Bargnani are nothing alike. Dirk was arguably a better player in his 2nd season than Bargs is right now in his 4th season.

Dirk was putting up 28.4/13.1/2.3 on 57% from deep in the playoffs during his 4th season. He has been much more than just a spot up shooter ever since his 2nd or 3rd season.

Don't get me wrong, Bargnani has been playing great over the last two weeks and has took the next step in his development this season, but the Dirk comparisions are even more ludicrous now than they were when he was drafted. Bargnani will never even come close to being the player that Dirk is, which isn't a knock against Bargs because Dirk is the best PF in the NBA, a future Hall of Famer and arguably the best European player to ever play in the NBA.

EDIT: Also, keep in mind that Dirk was younger than Bargnani when he first came into the league, and he had less experience as well. Both of those factors should play into this as well.

Edited by Built Ford Tough