CBS wants the Jets to lose

bigdog17k

Why CBS wants the Jets to lose

Many fans immediately look to market size and figure that the New York Jets have to be one of the teams.

And they’d be wrong.

“The matchup that will do the best is Indianapolis against Minnesota,” said former CBS Sports president Neal Pilson, who now runs his own consultancy firm. “It’s a matchup that features two marquee players in Peyton [Manning] and [brett] Favre and the rating you’ll get for that exceeds any other combination.”

Full Article

Rigged for ratings? Say it isn't so...

I don't watch Super Bowls with boring match ups... commericals maybe.

what super bowl in the past 10 years has had a boring matchup? there were two blowouts, but it had a lot of hype for the matchup. plus the ravens and giants was a close game at the half

Edited by Lkr

I'm just getting ready for if the Vikings win, the unbelievable amount of Brett Favre talk. Either way, it's the Super Bowl, I'll be watching. Why would i watch for 20 weeks, to not watch the championship game.

The Super Bowl is gonna get big ratings no matter what.

I mean...it's the Super Bowl. One of THE biggest televised events of the year.

Well of course it's going to get big ratings, but saying the matchup has no influence in the viewer turnout is pretty ridiculous. A Favre/Manning matchup would definitely increase the viewer count as opposed to a Jets matchup.

• Like 1

Well of course it's going to get big ratings, but saying the matchup has no influence in the viewer turnout is pretty ridiculous. A Favre/Manning matchup would definitely increase the viewer count as opposed to a Jets matchup.

Oh, well in that case yeah. I thought you just meant overall.

my brother who knows nothing about football, nor cares to, will watch the Super Bowl whether or not either of those guys are in it. The name Super Bowl attracts the casual viewer as it is.

my brother who knows nothing about football, nor cares to, will watch the Super Bowl whether or not either of those guys are in it. The name Super Bowl attracts the casual viewer as it is.

Well that's great for your brother, but that doesn't apply to everybody. It's common sense. Fans, both casual and diehard, are more likely to tune in if the matchup is exciting with big name players being put against each other. What could be better than a Favre/Manning matchup right now?

Well that's great for your brother, but that doesn't apply to everybody. It's common sense. Fans, both casual and diehard, are more likely to tune in if the matchup is exciting with big name players being put against each other. What could be better than a Favre/Manning matchup right now?

It applies to most casuals. What difference does it make for the guy that doesn't watch football if Favre and Manning are in it? He is going to watch the game anyway, because its the Super Bowl already. Its hard to expand the total viewers in the Super Bowl, unless you give a TV to everyone that doesn't have one.

football fans will watch the game no matter who is in it. casuals who normally tune in for various reasons(its the Super Bowl, commercials, half-time show, parties, etc) will watch the game no matter who is in it. Those who don't care about football(Slaven) will still not watch it, because they don't care about Favre or Manning. The only thing likely is that you might get more non football fans to watch that live in Indiana and Minnesota if the Vikings or Colts are in the Super Bowl. Same applies for Louisiana and New York however, if it is Saints vs Jets.

Edited by Lkr

I honestly dont see how ANY football/sports fan will skip watching the game regardless of who plays... And many non football fans who dont care for the game will watch it regardless of the matchup just for the commercials and halftime show. Hell id takea boring sb matchup if it means the games were not rigged than having a rigged game to get the team that would bring in better ratings.

World Cup this summer will get way more viewers then the Superbowl lol.

But it does matter LKR, i mean a lot of festivities with the Superbowl but more people will watch if its the Colts + NFC winner then if the Jets win. IMO Vikings Colts would have the most viewers.

At the first point...what does that have to do with the thread? And more people in the US will watch the Super Bowl.

And to casual viewers, they will watch it regardless for the festivities alone. Diehards will watch it regardless because it is the title game. non-football fans will still not tune in

Because someone said that its one of the most televised events, in comparison to the World Cup, the superbowl is nothing lol.

And I don't believe you are right about that because the ratings were higher when the Pats-Giants played then they were when the Seahawks and Steelers played.

New York has the biggest TV market in the US, so thats not surprising.