Antawn Jamison wants to be an all star

JWaLL

Definitely worth reading.

The Wizards' Antawn Jamison wants to be an all-star

Leaving Dallas provided Antawn Jamison with the greatest escape of his career. He came to Washington, landed his first two all-star appearances and embraced his role as a leader of a playoff team. But with the Wizards in the midst of what could be a second consecutive lottery season, Jamison is holding out hope for a return to Dallas -- only this time, Jamison would like to be wearing a uniform representing the Eastern Conference all-star team.

"I want to go," Jamison said after Wizards practice at Verizon Center on Saturday afternoon. "To sit here and say I don't think about it, or don't worry about it -- of course you want to be an all-star. That's an honor. I hope it does happen. But if not, I understand why."

Since returning after missing the first nine games of the season with a dislocated right shoulder, Jamison has posted 14 double-doubles and scored at least 30 points 10 times. He and Toronto's Chris Bosh are the only power forwards in the Eastern Conference averaging at least 20 points and eight rebounds. But Jamison realizes that his production seems somewhat hollow with the Wizards (14-28) tied for the conference's second-worst record.

"I know it's tough with the record, but I know it's not that many teams in the East that have that great of a record. I hope the coaches see that," said Jamison, who is averaging 21.8 points and 8.6 rebounds.

Jamison also hopes that coaches take into consideration that arguably no team in the league has had to deal with more off-court distractions and adversity than the Wizards, who have endured the death of owner Abe Pollin, a dispute involving guns between Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton, and a felony gun charge and indefinite suspension for Arenas. For Jamison, a few days in Dallas during all-star weekend could provide a much-needed reprieve from a tumultuous season.

"It would be a nice weekend to enjoy myself and get away from all the turmoil and really enjoy time with my family and friends. I hope things go my way," said Jamison, who spent one season with the Mavericks before being traded to the Wizards in the summer of 2004. "It's been tough because of the outside distractions. If we could do away with that, things would be so much different. But things that have been going on this year, you never would've seen coming at all. People are texting me all the time, 'Hang in there.' 'Keep your head up.' People realize what's going on."

Despite the chaos in recent weeks, Jamison ranks fifth in the conference in scoring average in January, with 23.5 per game -- and that's including a current two-game slump in which he has been held to a total of just 15 points on 6 of 24 shooting (25 percent) in losses to Dallas and Miami. It is the first time since April 2007 that Jamison has failed to reach double digits in points in back-to-back games.

Coach Flip Saunders said he thought Jamison could be tiring after carrying such a heavy load in the absence of Arenas. Jamison is averaging nearly 41 minutes per game this month, including a season-high 55 in a double-overtime loss in Chicago. "We are going to try to get him more rest," Saunders said. "It's probably a combination of mental fatigue, physical fatigue, everything. He's been playing at such a high level, we've been asking him to do so much, it probably wore him down a little bit."

Jamison took an elbow to the back and had surgery to remove bone spurs in his right ankle last May, but he denied that he has been slowed by any nagging injuries or ailments. "I'm 33 years old, and the things I do in the offseason are the reason why I'm prepared for what's going on now, so other than soreness the day after the game or the night of, I'm fine. It doesn't have anything to do with what has taken place the last two games with me," Jamison said.

Jamison is one of five active players with more than 16,000 points and 6,000 rebounds, but he has only been on four teams with a winning record in his 11 seasons. His most regular season wins came in Dallas, where he won 52 games and was named sixth man of the year in his only season with the Mavericks in 2003-04. He had high hopes for the Wizards this season, only to realize his contributions wouldn't be enough to put the franchise back on the right track.

"That's the toughest part, especially the last two seasons with injuries and the way things have been going this year; it's tough," Jamison said. "But as long as I can look at myself in the mirror and say that I'm playing hard and not giving up, and doing what I'm supposed to do, I'm still enjoying it. Even though we're not winning, I'm having fun."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/23/AR2010012302938.html

---

Antawn is by far the hardest worker on our current roster, and has stepped up as our captain and leader despite everything we have gone through. Him and Abe had a very close friendship, and his death hit him hard. Combining that with the Gilbert Arenas situation which is killing the team's chemistry, it's amazing he's still able to come out every night with the same motivation and put up numbers the way he does. In my books, he's an all star.

• Owner

He's definitely not making a good case for himself with his recent play. In three of his last five games, he shot 12-41 from the field, 29 points, 17 rebounds, 0-9 from three (SAC, DAL and MIA, all home games). Two of those games, he scored eight points or less, grabbed five boards or less.

He also shot terribly against bad teams, especially in December, against Philly, Toronto, Detroit and Golden State.

His inconsistency, lack of defense, and inability to lead the Wizards to anything better than the fourth worst record in the NBA is what keeps him out of contention for the all-star spot.

He's definitely not making a good case for himself with his recent play. In three of his last five games, he shot 12-41 from the field, 29 points, 17 rebounds, 0-9 from three (SAC, DAL and MIA, all home games). Two of those games, he scored eight points or less, grabbed five boards or less.

He also shot terribly against bad teams, especially in December, against Philly, Toronto, Detroit and Golden State.

His inconsistency, lack of defense, and inability to lead the Wizards to anything better than the fourth worst record in the NBA is what keeps him out of contention for the all-star spot.

Hey, the Raptors are average, not bad! :angry:

Well lets see, in the East you have LeBron James and Kevin Garnett as the starting forwards. Chris Bosh is an absolute lock to be selected as a reserve. Gerald Wallace is going to get recognized because of his play and the fact that the Bobcats are currently fighting for the 5th seed, which nobody would've expected. Lets say that those two are named as the primary backup forwards.

That leaves you with the two wildcard spots. You have Paul Pierce who is probably going to get into the game more than likely based off of his play this season combined the Celtics record and his history. That leaves one spot left and I am sure that the coaches are going to give that spot to a second All-Star on one of the better teams in the East (so somebody like Josh Smith, Al Horford, Rashard Lewis etc...) based on what usually happens. Or they could give it to Danny Granger or somebody like that. Although I would give it to Jamison before Granger.

Assuming they pick Bosh as the backup center, which would be valid considering he is the Raptors center, does Jamison still make it on the team?

The bottom line is that his numbers warrant consideration for the All-Star game, but the fact that the Wizards are currently one of the worst teams in the league is going to keep him out of the game. Its the same story with Monta Ellis and the same story with players like Al Jefferson, Kevin Durant and any other player who has put up great stats on poor teams. Coaches don't usually pick borderline All-Stars, which is what Jamison is, who are on bottom feeding teams.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

There's a few forwards I'd pick over Jamison.

Those would be Bosh, Granger and Wallace.

Granger? wtf? I understand Bosh and Gerald Wallace obviously, but Granger? Hell no, not the way he's playing this season. He was hurt for a while, and is barely scoring more than Jamison, with much less rebounds. Josh Smith is another name to throw in the list of potentially more deserving forwards.

This is what I hate man, the records play such a factor in everything. It shouldn't matter for an MVP or an all-star. Can we for once credit a player for how he plays himself and not how bad the players put around him are? MVP and all-stars should not be based of team records.

• Owner

Granger is the overall better player, but he hasn't had the season Jamison has, individually. Lots of things factor into that, including injuries, but that's for another discussion. I would stick Jamison in there before Granger.

Josh Smith

Paul Pierce

Gerald Wallace

Chris Bosh

In no order...those four get the nod over Jamison.

Granger is the overall better player, but he hasn't had the season Jamison has, individually. Lots of things factor into that, including injuries, but that's for another discussion. I would stick Jamison in there before Granger.

Josh Smith

Paul Pierce

Gerald Wallace

Chris Bosh

In no order...those four get the nod over Jamison.

Jamison has been going through multiple injuries as well, let's not forget. His shoulder is the most significant one, but he's taken many beatings this semester.

Statistically, Josh Smith and Paul Pierce are not more deserving than Jamison. If we are going to strongly factor in the teams' records, then you could argue that they are. But as far as individual performances go, I would put Jamison over those two. Obviously Gerald Wallace and Bosh are more deserving, but with KG potentially sitting out of the ASG, that leaves another open spot for a forward, possibly Jamison. So we'll see.

Stephen Jackson should get major consideration for an all-star spot as well over someone like Jamison, idk if he is classified as a guard or forward but just saying. Typically I don't like when record is held against someone for an asg spot, but at 14-29, without anything particularly amazing in your stats, you simply are not getting in the game.

I do agree Jamison is the Wizards best player, but in their current state, that is not saying much.

Stephen Jackson should get major consideration for an all-star spot as well over someone like Jamison, idk if he is classified as a guard or forward but just saying. Typically I don't like when record is held against someone for an asg spot, but at 14-29, without anything particularly amazing in your stats, you simply are not getting in the game.

I do agree Jamison is the Wizards best player, but in their current state, that is not saying much.

Jackson was a forward on the Warriors, but he's primarily been the shooting guard for the Bobcats so his all star possibility shouldn't really interfere with Jamison's consideration. I really wish the team's record didn't play as much of a factor in the all star selection, but as you said, being on a 14-29 team can't be ignored.

Jackson was a forward on the Warriors, but he's primarily been the shooting guard for the Bobcats so his all star possibility shouldn't really interfere with Jamison's consideration. I really wish the team's record didn't play as much of a factor in the all star selection, but as you said, being on a 14-29 team can't be ignored.

Considering the fact that if either one of these two made it into the ASG it would be because of one of the two wild card spots, I definitely think that Jackson's ASG possibility would interfere with Jamisons's consideration. Jamison isn't getting in as a primary backup forward, with or without them putting Bosh at center, and Jackson isn't getting in as a primary guard either. That leaves the two wild card spots.