Lakers interested in Kirk Hinrich

Dash

• Owner

Chicago wants to be under the cap as much as possible for this year's free agency period, so I doubt they'd take on Vujacic's final two years.

Jordan Farmar, Adam Morrison and Josh Powell gives them three expirings, one they could consider re-signing for cheap (Farmar).

It makes sense because the Bulls just picked up Devin Brown, and he can back up Salmons. Farmar would back up Rose. Hinrich's contract would be dealt to the Lakers. We get better by taking care of our huge defensive hole at the point, and Chicago has a bigger chance to spend money this season, and a couple beyond that, in hopes to get Wade or a big (Bosh or Amare), then surround them with talented players through free agency.

Hinrich is the one player I want in Los Angeles that's not named LeBron, Wade or Dwight. He's one of the best defensive guards in the NBA, he can shoot the rock very well when open (and if you saw Ariza last year, you know Kirk will be open all the time), and he can pass the ball and is unselfish.

I'd rather have this trade than the Bosh/Bynum deal.

Bring Kirk to LA.

Hinrich is one of the most underrated players cuz stats sheets just dont show how valuable he is. I really dont want this to happen, but if this puts the Lakers in position to keep the Cavs away from a title, then i guess itll have to work.

Real - LA will only do this if Vujacic is in the deal, otherwise next year's payroll goes up by 9M and Buss pays another 9M in taxes on top of already having the league's highest tax bill. Either Sasha is in it or no trade is made. He's an absolute.

Obviously that's not music to Chicago's ears, but they have to cut 4.2 off their cap if they are to shop for Wade, Bosh, etc. in the summer. So the question becomes if Chicago can cut that in other trades, such as a deal involving Salmons for a last year, again good luck as a team adds 5.8 to next year's payroll for Salmons.

What it comes down to is if Chicago has any other offers that can cut their cap by the requisite amount. If not, they do the Laker deal. Why? Even with Sasha in it on net the Bulls cut the 4.2M they need to go big game hunting in the summer. Hinrich is a nice player but no one is willing to take on his 17.5M for the next two years and only give last years back. No one is willing to add 9M to next year's payroll.

LA may be the only team in the league willing to take on Hinrich's contract. If so, Farmar, Morrison and Sasha for Hinrich and Johnson can happen, but only hours from the deadline. Chicago will wait it out and hope they have other options. If not, the Lakers can get Hinrich and dump Sasha. Win win. Fingers crossed.

Guest California Dreamin'

Hinrich to LA for a package built around Morrison's expiring contract.

Morrison, Farmar, and 1st round pick for Hinrich.

They get an expiring contract, a young talented PG who has been playing well, and a future 1st round pick.

The Bulls and Lakers can add more players in the trade, but the Bulls want expiring contracts, talent, and picks for Hinrich.

I don't see the Bulls taking Sasha's contract. It makes no sense to trade your starting SG for a bench warmer and a player who is getting paid $5M to do nothing.

Don't be surprise if the Bulls want Brown in the trade.

Morrison and Brown for Hinrich.

• Owner

Real - LA will only do this if Vujacic is in the deal, otherwise next year's payroll goes up by 9M and Buss pays another 9M in taxes on top of already having the league's highest tax bill. Either Sasha is in it or no trade is made. He's an absolute.

Obviously that's not music to Chicago's ears, but they have to cut 4.2 off their cap if they are to shop for Wade, Bosh, etc. in the summer. So the question becomes if Chicago can cut that in other trades, such as a deal involving Salmons for a last year, again good luck as a team adds 5.8 to next year's payroll for Salmons.

What it comes down to is if Chicago has any other offers that can cut their cap by the requisite amount. If not, they do the Laker deal. Why? Even with Sasha in it on net the Bulls cut the 4.2M they need to go big game hunting in the summer. Hinrich is a nice player but no one is willing to take on his 17.5M for the next two years and only give last years back. No one is willing to add 9M to next year's payroll.

LA may be the only team in the league willing to take on Hinrich's contract. If so, Farmar, Morrison and Sasha for Hinrich and Johnson can happen, but only hours from the deadline. Chicago will wait it out and hope they have other options. If not, the Lakers can get Hinrich and dump Sasha. Win win. Fingers crossed.

Figures...but I'm fine with that. Dumping Sasha is even better for us.

Honestly, to me, this is a guaranteed ring. I know people won't like hearing that, but our lack of defense at the point (and, now, our offensive production as well -- aside from Farmar's inconsistency) is what we need to patch up the most. Fisher can go to the bench. I respect him and wish his daughter well, and thank him for the clutch shots...but he's a bottomless pit when it comes to allowing points, and I'm tired of seeing him shoot 25-30% from the floor.

I don't see the Bulls taking Sasha's contract. It makes no sense to trade your starting SG for a bench warmer and a player who is getting paid $5M to do nothing.

They take Sahsa's contract because they still take 4.2M off their cap in the trade, even with Vujasuck in it. 4.2M allows them to shop for Wade and Bosh.

If no one else will trade for Hinrich what choice does Chicago have? They have to cut 4.2M, if they can't get to that number with other deals, but they can with LA, then Chicago pulls the trigger. Obviously it is last resort, final option, but if there's no other offers and no other way to clear the cap space they need to shop then they do it. Yes even with Sasha in it.

I understand that Buills fans wouldn't want it and Laker fans don't like it cause it means they may not get Hinrich but it's the fiscal reality. Chicago does it to get the cap space they need and Buss insists on it cause there's no way he's adding 9M to next year's payroll. You can't just ignore the money guys. Not this deadline.

<br /><i>I don't see the Bulls taking Sasha's contract. It makes no sense to trade your starting SG for a bench warmer and a player who is getting paid $5M to do nothing.</i><br /><br />They take Sahsa's contract because they still take 4.2M off their cap in the trade, even with Vujasuck in it. 4.2M allows them to shop for Wade and Bosh.<br /><br />If no one else will trade for Hinrich what choice does Chicago have? They have to cut 4.2M, if they can't get to that number with other deals, but they can with LA, then Chicago pulls the trigger. Obviously it is last resort, final option, but if there's no other offers and no other way to clear the cap space they need to shop then they do it. Yes even with Sasha in it.<br /><br />I understand that Buills fans wouldn't want it and Laker fans don't like it cause it means they may not get Hinrich but it's the fiscal reality. Chicago does it to get the cap space they need and Buss insists on it cause there's no way he's adding 9M to next year's payroll. You can't just ignore the money guys. Not this deadline.<br />
They can get 4.2 off their cap, but they can find a better deal. They can trade Hinrich in a package for McGrady. McGrady has been working out in Chicago with Tim Grover for a few weeks.<br /><br />I agree with you about the Lakers being the Bulls last option.

Houston can do much better for McGrady than Hinrich and change though. TMac's huge expiring deal is a big chip. If that chip can get you Iguodala, Gay, Boozer you don't deal for Captain Kirk and the crew of the Enterprise.

What are the chances of the Rockets getting someone like Gay, Boozer, and Iggy for Tracy?

Teams are going to ask for young talent back if they trade one of their young talented players for Tracy.

• Owner

What are the chances of the Rockets getting someone like Gay, Boozer, and Iggy for Tracy?

Teams are going to ask for young talent back if they trade one of their young talented players for Tracy.

Well, maybe...but with the current rumors of a lockout, some teams would probably rather save the money, especially someone like the Grizzlies, who I figured were in danger of moving soon.

In the end, you have to pay young players and picks.

Well, maybe...but with the current rumors of a lockout, some teams would probably rather save the money, especially someone like the Grizzlies, who I figured were in danger of moving soon.

In the end, you have to pay young players and picks.

The Bulls will only move Hinrich if they get expiring contracts, a young player, or draft picks. Chicago will move Salmons for a trade X, or a scrub with an expiring contract before they trade Hinrich for peanuts.

Chicago can offer Hinrich, Thomas, and James for McGrady. This deal is better for them instead of taking back Sasha's horrible contract.

The chances of Hinrich being traded to LA are slim.

Kirk is a good player, but he's not worth adding almost $20M to your payroll.

Edited by California Dreamin'

• Owner

I'm sure it is a better deal for them, but Houston will have no interest in that. There's no room for Hinrich on that roster, not with Brooks starting and the Rockets already paying Ariza the money they did, and once Yao gets back, Hayes will share time with Landry and Scola at the four, so again, just another reason not to have Tyrus.

Houston would be stupid to take that deal over the others they can potentially have, or even just letting McGrady expire themselves.

I'm sure it is a better deal for them, but Houston will have no interest in that. There's no room for Hinrich on that roster, not with Brooks starting and the Rockets already paying Ariza the money they did, and once Yao gets back, Hayes will share time with Landry and Scola at the four, so again, just another reason not to have Tyrus.

Houston would be stupid to take that deal over the others they can potentially have, or even just letting McGrady expire themselves.

A little bird told me the Rockets do like Thomas and have contacted the Bulls about Thomas. :whistling:

Houston has a chance of making the playoffs. They can get two players who can come in and help the team immediately.

What other deals do the Rockets have? An expiring contract is not worth trading your young talented players. I don't think they can get someone like Iggy or Gay for McGrady.

You can make the playoffs with Hinrich and Thomas. Big name free agents are going to go somewhere else, instead of signing with the Rockets.

McGrady for Iguodala and change has been discussed. Cavs and Clips are also interested in Iggy so we'll see what happens there. All three deals are based on Philly getting last years and dumping salary to start over. New York likes TMac but insists on Jefferies and/or Curry in the deal so no chance of that. Houston can and will do better than Hinrich and change. They are better off swallowing McGrady's contract than doing that.

Chicago has to cut 4.2 Dreamin'. If the Lakers are the only team interested in Hinrich and the Bulls can't get anything else done then Chicago will do it, even with Sasha. Implausible yet possible. Comes down to what alternatives, if any, that the Bulls have as the deadline approaches. TMac isn't a viable option imo, Chicago can't compete.

Edited by Sky

McGrady for Iguodala and change has been discussed. Cavs and Clips are also interested in Iggy so we'll see what happens there. All three deals are based on Philly getting last years and dumping salary to start over. New York likes TMac but insists on Jefferies and/or Curry in the deal so no chance of that. Houston can and will do better than Hinrich and change. They are better off swallowing McGrady's contract than doing that.

Chicago has to cut 4.2 Dreamin'. If the Lakers are the only team interested in Hinrich and the Bulls can't get anything else done then Chicago will do it, even with Sasha. Implausible yet possible. Comes down to what alternatives, if any, that the Bulls have as the deadline approaches. TMac isn't a viable option imo, Chicago can't compete.

Chicago can create some cap space by trading other players. I think Chicago trades Salmons or someone else on the team before they trade Hinrich for peanuts.

What if Bosh and Wade sign with Miami? You traded away one of your best players for cap space. Jerry Reinsdorf will only pay for a championship contender and will only give a max deal to a player who is an all star and can lead his team to a championship.

I think the Rockets will only trade Tracy, if they get a young star back for Tracy and Chicago will trade Salmons before trading Hinrich for cap space.

Do you still post at LG? I'm Nissan. :P

Hey Nissan. No I've been away from LG for a while now.

Chicago can move other players but it'll be tough to create 4.2 in cap space. No one gives a last year for Salmons or Hinrich. Thomas is on a rookie deal. Maybe they can do it but it won't be easy at all.

If Chicago can't get Wade or Bosh then they can move on to Amare, Boozer, Joe Johnson. In addition they'll still need to move Hinrich just to unload the big K to afford bringing in an impact fa signing. A Laker deal turns Hinrich's 17.5 remaining to Sasha's 5. They get the cap room they need and take expenditures down by over 12M to afford a fa.

Houston only deals McGrady if they get a young impact starter out of it, agreed, which takes out Chicago as a suitor. Iguodala fits that bill and Philly is interested. Other possibilities with David West, maybe Rudy Gay, some Warriors or Wiz if they go dumping as rumored. Morey is after young talent, Hinrich really isn't. He's a nice role player on a contender, but away from that context he's too expensive at 9M.

• Owner

Niss, I thought Hinrich was terrible? LOL.

And you say you don't THINK they can get Gay or Iggy for McGrady, but you don't know that. I didn't think we could get Gasol for his brother and Crittenton, either, but we did. Boozer is definitely done in Utah...95% sure of that, and he sounds like he is as well. There's someone who's much better than Thomas, if they are indeed interested in a power forward. The Sixers can't win with Iggy, Brand, Young and Dalembert, so it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they decide to throw Iguodala out to the other GM's.

Not only that, but the Knicks were in rumors for McGrady as well, and why wouldn't Houston want someone like David Lee, who probably won't be back in New York after this season? Nate Robinson would be an excellent backup for Brooks.

The Nets want to unload Harris and Lopez, according to rumors. Why would Houston not jump on that deal, especially with Yao's future in question?

There are numerous teams who will be interested in McGrady as the deadline nears, especially with talk about a lockout. That, and the 2010 free agent class...there's no reason why teams wouldn't want to wipe out $23 million.

Niss, I thought Hinrich was terrible? LOL.

He was terrible earlier in the season especially coming off the bench. Kirk is playing a lot better as the starting SG and he's been playing well for a few weeks.

I give credit when credit is due. I like Kirk, but hes not worth $18 million per year. We get rid of Sasha and Kirk fills a need at PG.

• 2 weeks later...