Iguodala on Kobe’s dedication: ‘Mentally insane’

NJNJ

PHILADELPHIA — Andre Iguodala has guarded Kobe Bryant plenty of times and even knows him from offseason training.

“He’s mentally insane,” Iguodala told the Philadelphia Daily News writer Phil Jasner, who goes way back with Bryant also. “He dedicates a lot of his brain power to basketball, and he’s really focused on becoming a better player.

“You have to force yourself to be in that mold, (with) a killer instinct at all times. He demands a lot of himself (and his teammates).”

Iguodala is one of the few who’ve had some success defending Bryant in the past.

Sonny Hill, who coached Bryant for six years as a youth in summer-league play, told the Bucks County Courier Times that Bryant’s drive goes way back.

Hill said Bryant told him while an NBA rookie just how focused on greatness he was: “He said to me, ‘Mr. Sonny, I want to be one of the best to play the game.’ I said, ‘You mean one of the best of this era.’ He said, ‘No, I want to be one of the best of all time.’

“He was on that journey even before he got to the NBA. … We see even more of him now because, as he’s into the latter years of his career, he’s playing now at the apex of his physical ability, but he’s also rising to the apex of his mental ability. He’s combining both.”

• Owner

Yeah, during games, he looks like he wants to punish you for doing something wrong. :lol: I don't see him dancing around and celebrating much, unless he drops that game-winner...and even then, there are times where he just lifts his arms up and walks off.

I'd hate to defend him, not just because he's so good, but because he'd intimidate the hell out of me.

It must be frustrating as hell trying to defend the man. I love that he's so dedicated to the game. If some other players had his same level of dedication, they'd be a lot better (Vince Carter comes to mind).

If I was defending someone who hits some crazy shots, i'd get frustrated too.

Defending Kobe sucks, knowing the best defender in the league can't have his way with him and his constant [expletive] talking. That sucks. He keeps telling you you can't guard him and you can't say anything because he'll keep spraying you. :angry: