Chicago White Sox 2010

bigdog17k

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/mlb/players/65/4486.jpg

'One Dog' passing on his old tricks

CHICAGO -- His name is Lance Johnson.

But to White Sox fans, he simply is known as "One Dog."

Ken "Hawk" Harrelson, the team's venerable and popular television play-by-play announcer, bestowed that nickname upon the man who proudly wore jersey No. 1 from 1988-95 on the South Side of Chicago and also spent plenty of time at the top of the White Sox lineup. That number will be featured during the 2010 campaign on the back of Juan Pierre, the latest to climb to the first spot of the White Sox attack.

Pierre has worn jersey No. 9 in the past, but with that number retired by the White Sox in honor of Minnie Minoso, he had to look elsewhere. So, Pierre decided to pay tribute to Johnson, who has directly helped Pierre get to the point of Major League leadoff success where he presently finds himself.

Both Pierre and Johnson attended the University of South Alabama, and Johnson often returned to work out with the collegiate team. Johnson, in turn, became a mentor to Pierre.

"You have to realize I actually trained Juan and gave him the road map to the big leagues. I taught him my inner-most secrets," said Johnson with a smile, speaking during his SoxFest appearance last weekend. "I'm excited to see he's here and wearing my number."

-------

Full Article

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/mlb/players/65/2149.jpg

ChiSox get Aparicio's blessing to let Vizquel wear No. 11

CHICAGO -- The Chicago White Sox are taking Hall of Famer Luis Aparicio's number 11 out of retirement for newly acquired 11-time Gold Glove winner Omar Vizquel.

A Venezuelan like Aparicio, Vizquel will wear the number as a tribute to his countryman.

"For me, it's like a huge celebration, trying to keep his name alive and trying to spread the word of Venezuelan shortstops," Vizquel said Monday during a conference call. "I think every kid now -- the new generation of shortstops in Venezuela -- has to know about Luis Aparicio and everything that he means to us in this game."

Aparicio said if there's one player he'd like to see wear his number, it's Vizquel, the leader among shortstops in games (2,681) and a three-time AL All-Star.

-------

Full Article

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/mlb/players/65/3449.jpg

Report: Jermaine Dye considering retirement

According to Chuck Garifen of Chicago's Comcast SportsNet, free agent outifelder Jermaine Dye told Frank Thomas he's considering retirement.

"That's what he told me and I told him he's crazy," Thomas said Friday. Dye has drawn very little interest on the open market this winter and is obviously frustrated. The 35-year-old hit 27 homers in 2009 and posted a .302/.375/.567 batting line over the first half of the 2009 season, but he stumbled to a .179/.293/.297 line over his final 212 at-bats.

-------

Source

This would be really sad. :(

• 2 weeks later...

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/mlb/coaches/65/30004.jpg

Twitter account of mouthy ChiSox skipper has GM concerned

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Ozzie Guillen's already going to star in a reality series starting in July. Now the colorful manager of the Chicago White Sox has a Twitter account and his general manager Ken Williams is not happy about it.

Guillen, Williams and Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf will shoot segments for the MLB Network reality show The Club this spring. That had already prompted concern about the talkative Guillen and his often salty language.

Now Guillen's added another forum to express his many opinions on many topics.

Guillen said his tweets will be personal and not a way to tell fans what's going on with the White Sox or a way to break news. Still, it appears to be a dangerous device for a manager who's gotten in plenty of trouble over the years with his comments.

Some of the early tweets appear harmless, things like "what I saw on the field today was a lot of grass" and "going to eat in half hour." But who knows with Ozzie?

Williams wasn't thrilled.

"No comment ... and make sure you write that it is a no comment with a head shake from side to side," Williams said.

-------

Full Article

http://www.sportsnewsexpress.com/Chicago-White-Sox-Logo-resized-64.gif

White Sox camp tour: Peavy fitting in, making own pitch

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- It's hard to believe now that Jake Peavy once turned down a chance to come to the White Sox.

Hard to believe that he vetoed the first proposed deal that would have made it happen, just nine months ago.

Hard to believe because there's no one who believes in the White Sox now more than Jake Peavy does. And no one more interested in seeing a second huge trade bringing a star player from the south side of California to the South Side of Chicago.

"I want Adrian [Gonzalez] to be my teammate over here," Peavy said.

Interesting thought.

Peavy said he has already discussed the idea with White Sox general manager Ken Williams. Williams didn't really need the suggestion, because the talk in White Sox camp is that whenever the Padres decide to move on trading their first baseman, Williams will be one of the first in line to make a deal.

"That's really what we need, a big left-handed hitter," one Sox person said. "They're saying Kenny would give anything to get him, maybe even [Gordon] Beckham."

Interesting, because we already know that Williams can be as aggressive and as creative as any general manager out there. We know that, and we were reminded of it last July 31 when he worked out a deal for a pitcher who had already turned him down once -- a pitcher who was on the disabled list at the time.

A pitcher named Jake Peavy.

A pitcher who the White Sox believe is the dominating ace they needed atop their rotation, and a pitcher who has already set a World Series title as the only goal that matters.

-------

Full Article

White Sox: Five things to know

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Five things to know about the Chicago White Sox:

1. With Jermaine Dye and Jim Thome gone, the White Sox won't have the same offensive look that they've had in the past. They'll have more of an Ozzie Guillen look. "Ever since Ozzie has been here, we've always had power, but from top to bottom we haven't been as athletic as Ozzie likes," hitting coach Greg Walker said. "Not to say Ozzie didn't love J.D. and Jim Thome, but it's just not his style. We may not hit as many home runs, but we should definitely have the ability to hit more doubles -- and to score from first on more doubles."

2. Andruw Jones admits he made a stop at McDonald's before heading to spring training -- but only because his kids demanded it. By cutting out fast food and fried food and by working harder, Jones lost about 25 pounds over the winter. "I'm in much better shape than I was the last four years," said Jones, now 32. "It was motivation, sitting on the bench for a year and watching. It was a mistake I made that I didn't take care of my body before now." The White Sox see Jones as part of a DH rotation, but that could change if he plays well and if either Alex Rios or Carlos Quentin falters in the outfield.

3. Rios hit .199 in his 41 games with the White Sox after he was claimed on waivers last August, but he insists that the Sox and Guillen suit his style of play more than the Blue Jays did. "I don't think this team's a 'Moneyball' team," Rios said. "This is how you should play baseball." Rios was able to run some in Toronto. He stole 32 bases in 2008.

4. The White Sox tried to trade for Juan Pierre last spring, so it's not fair to say that what Pierre did for the Dodgers during the Manny Ramirez suspension earned him the everyday chance he now has with the Sox. But in Pierre's mind, the Ramirez suspension helped him considerably. "In baseball, when you don't play, they forget about you," he said. "I think the whole Manny thing opened a lot of people's eyes that I can still play." So did he ever thank Ramirez for getting suspended? "No," Pierre said with a chuckle. "He's a friend."

5. Whether it's an Ozzie blow up, a silly Twitter controversy or the MLB Network reality show that will feature the White Sox front office this summer, there's always something crazy going on in the South Side. "We're never boring," general manager Ken Williams said. And always ready to make a move. Williams believes in considering almost any type of trade at any time. "I think you're always evolving," he said. "People don't realize it, but in 2007, when we had a bad year [72-90], at the trade deadline, we were looking to add."

-------

Five Things

Edited by bigdog17k

• 1 month later...

Monday, April 5th 2010 - U.S. Cellular Field | 1:05 PM CT

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/logos/38x45/cle_38x45.gif Jake Westbrook, RHP (0-0, -.--)

@

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/logos/38x45/cws_38x45.gif Mark Buehrle, LHP (0-0, -.--)

Scouting Report

Indians: This is a start nearly two years in the making for Westbrook, who returns from June 2008 Tommy John surgery to front the Tribe's rotation. Westbrook's last big league start was May 28, 2008, against, coincidentally enough, the White Sox. He proved his health in camp, and his velocity is intact, but his ability to command the strike zone was a bit inconsistent. Westbrook, who also started on Opening Day in 2005, is 8-11 with a 4.94 ERA in 27 career appearances against the Sox. He is 5-5 with a 4.46 ERA in 13 career appearances at U.S. Cellular Field.

White Sox: When Mark Buehrle throws his first pitch against the Indians, the left-hander officially will be making his franchise-record eighth Opening Day start. He previously shared the mark with White Sox legend Billy Pierce. Buehrle enters the 2010 campaign on a stretch of nine straight seasons with at least 30 starts made, 200 innings pitched and double-digit victories. During that run, he has finished just two seasons with an ERA over 4.00. Buehrle posted a 13-10 record and a 3.84 ERA last season, which also included the second perfect game hurled by a White Sox pitcher, as well as a Major League record 45 straight batters retired. Buehrle has an 11-14 mark and 4.74 ERA lifetime against the Indians, his lowest win total against any AL Central club, but also has a career 76-46 record at U.S. Cellular Field.

Wednesday, April 7th 2010 - U.S. Cellular Field | 7:10 PM CT

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/logos/38x45/cle_38x45.gif Fausto Carmona, RHP (0-0, -.--)

@

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/logos/38x45/cws_38x45.gif Jake Peavy, RHP (0-0, -.--)

Scouting Report

Indians: Who is going to show up for the Indians in the No. 2 spot of their rotation this season? The 19-win Carmona of 2007, the walk-prone Carmona of 2008 and '09 or something in between? Carmona, who was demoted to the Minors last season, showed flashes of his '07 self in winter ball and throughout Spring Training camp. He was aggressive in the strike zone, efficient with his pitches and composed on the mound. Now, we'll see if he can take that into the regular season. Carmona is 4-3 with a 4.50 ERA in 10 career appearances against the Sox.

White Sox: The White Sox basically were out of contention by the time Peavy got close to healthy last year, so the right-hander didn't have to even take the mound in mid-September. But Peavy wanted to show his teammates and the White Sox fans a little snippet of what the team obtained from San Diego for four Minor League pitchers. Peavy made three starts, won all three and finished with a 1.35 ERA, giving up 11 hits and striking out 18 in 20 innings. Now, Peavy returns with a healthy right ankle and a healthy pitching elbow, which he took a line drive off of during a Minor League rehab start last year, confident he will be leading a rotation with the possibility of pushing the White Sox to a World Series title. Peavy has a 95-68 career record, although all but these three wins have come against National League competition. He was considered for the Opening Day start but pushed for Buehrle to get the nod and the franchise record. Peavy is 1-1 against the Indians and 2-0 at U.S. Cellular.

Thursday, April 8th 2010 - U.S. Cellular Field | 7:10 PM CT

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/logos/38x45/cle_38x45.gif Justin Masterson, RHP (0-0, -.--)

@

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/logos/38x45/cws_38x45.gif Gavin Floyd, RHP (0-0, -.--)

Scouting Report

Indians: The big-bodied Masterson has Major League stuff, but can he be effective as a Major League starter? The Indians will find out this season, as Masterson, who was transitioned from relief work with the Red Sox to starting duties with the Tribe after he was acquired in last summer's Victor Martinez trade, will occupy the No. 3 spot of the rotation. Masterson was erratic in spring camp and needs to show improvement with his changeup if he's going to be successful as a starter, and against left-handers in particular. Masterson is 0-1 with a 1.53 ERA in five career appearances, including two starts, against the Sox.

White Sox: Floyd has returned healthy after leaving a game on Sept. 16 with a sore left hip and not pitching the remainder of the 2009 season. He takes the third spot in the rotation, with the White Sox choosing to throw John Danks against the plethora of left-handed hitters featured by the Twins in the weekend series. Floyd had an 11-11 mark and 4.06 ERA in 2009 but finished strong by lowering his ERA from 4.44 before the All-Star Break to 3.49 after it. Since 2008, Floyd ranks second among AL right-handers in opponents average against with a .242 mark, sits in a tie for sixth with 28 victories and his 38 quality starts leave him seventh. Floyd has a 4-2 career record with a 4.30 ERA against the Indians and has a 16-9 mark at U.S. Cellular.

Haha, he's already gone crazy. Try to decipher some of his tweets! @OzzieGuillen :lol:

my friend pat o connor just got in gage

At the airport to caracas great day today a lot energie

We just past habor side mr Cooper I am ready to kick your butt in golf

Great job ozzie oney iam so proud of you guys yess. Every sunday in score

Very excited to see one of the best baseball man ever

WHAT IS HE SAYING?!?!!?

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I feel a massive fire sale coming. Other teams should be able to pick up a nice bat, and some okay relief pitching. Maybe a starter too.

I don't want to move Danks, Thornton, Beckham, Rios, Quentin or Jones. Anything else can go. I think we could fetch something special for Konerko right now, plus he should deserve to play on a contender.

• 3 weeks later...