Raptors Will Be Buyers In Trade Market

Similar to the bold move made this week by the Leafs, the Raptors are looking to deal ahead of the trade deadline.

“We’re talking to a few teams to see if there’s anything we can do to improve our basketball club,” said Colangelo. “We’ve never sat back and been comfortable. We’re always going to compete and improve our levels of competition.

“I’m talking about not only a tweak, but in a big deal, we’re going to be a buyer, not a seller.”

The Raptors are 15-6 over their last 21 games.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64467/20100204/raptors_will_be_buyers_in_trade_market/

I would imagine that they would be looking at a wing player and not a big man or point guard, so who are some possible names that you could see being dealt before the deadline?

Obviously there have been rumors about the following:

Kevin Martin

Caron Butler

Andre Iguodala

Monta Ellis

(the last have no realistic shot at coming to Toronto)

but another name or two that I could see are:

Josh Howard

Rip Hamilton

Realistically, I don't think that the Raptors really have the pieces to acquire a fringe All-Star swingman, but if Colangelo can somehow manage to snag one without gutting the team, it would really solidify the Raptors lineup.

Regardless of what happens, it is nice to see MLSE giving the Raptors the green light. They haven't really been willing to pay much for a while now (2004 was the last time MLSE really backed the Raptors financially, if I recall correctly).

I read a report somewhere (I think RealGM), that Howard expects that if he is dealt, it will be Toronto or Miami. That's all i got for now, it'd be cool to get a wing like that, but I need to see what we'd give up especially without a first this year to make a deal more attractive.

I read a report somewhere (I think RealGM), that Howard expects that if he is dealt, it will be Toronto or Miami. That's all i got for now, it'd be cool to get a wing like that, but I need to see what we'd give up especially without a first this year to make a deal more attractive.

There is some rumor going around of a Calderon/Belinelli for Howard trade. I think that it where the RealGM thing originated from (although I could be wrong as I am not exactly sure what you are talking about. I don't really read RealGM's forums that much).

I don't think it has much validitiy to it though. It looked like some guy just trying to get some traffic for his blog and some sites took it and ran with it.

I don't know if I would want Howard on the Raptors anyways. He has been awful this season averaging just 12/3 on sub 40% shooting and he has injury concerns surrounding him. He isn't close to the player that he was 2-3 seasons ago as he had regressed both offensively and defensively. If he turned it around and played like the rock solid two way, 3rd option player that he was a couple of years ago, I would be all for it. However, this version of Howard is very underwhelming.

Just for discussions sake, out of the rumoured swingmen on the block (the 6 or so I mentioned above or anybody else who you think could realistically be moved), who would you want to see the Raptors pick up the most?

Iggy would be the top guy, but doubt Philly would ever even entertain trading him here. I think Butler would be best, but he's pretty ball dominant and with Hedo and the Killer Bs, its tough to say he'll have more of an impact, unless he finds a way to get some more touches.

I doubt we are getting Iggy or Monta, but either of them would be ideal for pretty obvious reasons. Outside of that probably Kevin Martin, just because he would be a good scorer on the wing to complement Bosh, and is probably the best scorer that we could add to this team. Sure he is bad on D, but adding a decent defender on the wing isn't going to turn our team D around. Martin is probably as good as Demar on D anyways, if not better.

I just question whether or not Howard and Butler are done, both guys are having pretty bad years and are both pushing 30 now.

Dash sent me this through a PM. I'm not exactly sure who the original poster was (somebody on RealGM) or do I know how valid it is, but I figured I would post it anyways.

i dont post frequently but when i do its mostly trade proposals. I normally dont hear many stuff from my source (i will tell the mods his name). He works at MLSE, is up enough to hear names being thrown around. Thats all i can offer you right now is names, ive heard who the Raptors are offering and who they are going after.

Players they have called about:

- Shane Battier

- Rip Hamilton

- Kevin Martin (old news though, havent heard anything new about him)

- Andres Nocioni

* Caron Butler (See below)

- Dahntay Jones

Players we are offering:

- Jose Calderon

- Antonie Wright

- Patrick O'Byrant

- Marcus Banks

- Rasho Nesterovic

those are the 5 ive heard that have been offered around to other teams. However their are real discussion about Caron Butler. Im not kidding, however Washington has insisted BC take Stevenson. Also they are concerned about Joses health. The combination of things being tossed around between the 2 teams are, and i warn you no deal is 100% going to happen i can just offer what ive heard.

The date ive heard between the 2 teams is February 13th, is when they will talk further about the deal i dont know why but thats the date

Washington Side: Butler, Boykins, Stevenson

Toronto Side: Calderon, POB, Wright, Rasho, 2010 second rounder

now that ISNT the deal. Those are the names being thrown out their. I repeat it IS NOT THE DEAL. Also 0 talk on the Iggy front. From what ive heard, this deal is hard to complete, BC wants to keep Rasho and the deal is getting complicated, a 3rd team might be involved. Washington has insisted BC take Stevenson or find someone to take him for an expiring, Washington also likes Calderon a lot, there was no talk of Amir in any Butler deal, there was with Shane Battier though

I can see some of the names being realistic, but others not so much.

I don't really see any reason why Toronto would want Nocioni or Hamilton. Nocioni isn't any good and has a very unattractive contract. I have no problems with Hamilton as a player, but investing so much money long term in Hedo Turkoglu and Rip Hamilton would be a disaster.

I don't see why they would want Dahntay Jones either, considering he isn't really enough of an upgrade over Wright or Weems to warrant spending $3M on.

If we could get Caron with Jose that would be awesome, I don't understand why we WOULDN'T take Stevenson, I really hope that isn't what is holding up a deal.

Butler & Stevenson for Jose, Wright & O'Bryant works, get er done BC :D

If we did that we would have like 25 million in expirings for 2011, and we could make a serious power move next year with all those expirings.

Now that the Mavs/Wizards trade is official and Butler is off of the market, do you think that the Raptors are going to make a move before the 18th or will they stand pat with their current roster?

To be perfectly honest, the only player that I thought the Raptors would possibly acquire was Butler. I didn't expect them to acquire him, but if they were to make a trade for anybody I figured it would be him. I really don't see the Raptors trading for anybody at the deadline now. Butler and Howard were the two options that seemingly made the most sense for Toronto and having them traded for each other really limits what Toronto would be able to do come deadline time.