Nuggets Nearly Landed Deron In 2005

The Regime

George Karl says the Nuggets had a trade in place with the Hawks back in 2005 that would have landed them the second overall pick.

Denver's plan then would have been to use the pick on Deron Williams.

"I don't know why we didn't do it or what happened, but there's no question that I thought he'd be a great player," Karl said. "I like him because his passion and energy for the game is contagious. It's fun to watch and it's difficult to play against."

Atlanta ultimately kept the pick and selected Marvin Williams, which allowed the Jazz to take Williams with the third pick.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64540/20100207/nuggets_nearly_landed_deron_in_2005/

Wouldn't have made much of a difference as the Nuggets would probably have traded Andre Miller to get him. Instead they used Miller to trade for Iverson, which turned into Billups. Overall, not a big loss.

Id still rather have Dwill then any of them. Melo and Williams on the same team would have been rediculous