Marion to Mavs?

The Dallas Mavericks, after striking verbal agreements over the past few days to retain Jason Kidd and sign restricted free agent Marcin Gortat to an offer sheet, have identified their latest target: Shawn Marion.

The Mavericks and Toronto Raptors, according to NBA front-office sources, are discussing a sign-and-trade deal that would bring Marion to Dallas.

If the Mavericks and Raptors can strike a deal -- with a third team potentially needed to help make the salary-cap math work -- sources say that former All-Star guard Jerry Stackhouse will almost certainly be headed to the Raptors in the exchange. Stackhouse is scheduled to earn $7 million next season at age 34, but only $2 million of his salary is guaranteed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4310011

Wow...Cuban is going all out.

Cuban is determine to have his team in the top four in the west this year. What does this mean for Josh Howard since he also plays the same spot as Marion? Well I'll be telling Josh to start packing your bags to Toronto.

No Way Josh Howard is traded for Marion. If he is I think Cuban is just plain stupid. I see Marion being 6th man because he won't start over JH or Dirk, and unless they put him at the 2 or move Howard to the 2 spot I don't think itl happen.

They don't have to deal Howard to get Marion.

No Way Josh Howard is traded for Marion. If he is I think Cuban is just plain stupid. I see Marion being 6th man because he won't start over JH or Dirk, and unless they put him at the 2 or move Howard to the 2 spot I don't think itl happen.

They might move Josh to the two spot... I can see it happening.

PG - Kidd

SG - Howard

SF - Marion

PF - Nowitzki

C - Gortat

Good size at each position. Terry, Barea, Bass (pending his resign), Green, and Wright coming off the bench. I like it personally. Nice mix of offense and defense.

Edited by Jet
  • Like 1

They might move Josh to the two spot... I can see it happening.

PG - Kidd

SG - Howard

SF - Marion

PF - Nowitzki

C - Gortat

Good size at each position. Terry, Barea, Bass (pending his resign), Green, and Wright coming off the bench. I like it personally. Nice mix of offense and defense.

That'd probably be the most logical result, but would Terry end up losing minutes? Or would he just sub in for Marion and bump Howard to the 3 spot when he comes in? I don't think Marion is going to want to sign with a team that is going to give him semi-limited minutes. He's a pretty big "I want what's best for me" kind of player.

Ken Berger of CBS Sports is reporting that the Mavericks are working on a sign-and-trade with the Raptors for Shawn Marion.

The deal would give Toronto an alternative to renouncing Marion's rights in order to clear cap space for Hedo Turkoglu.

Finalizing an agreement could be difficult because the Raptors are hesitant to take back salary.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60379/20090706/mavs_working_on_sign_and_trade_for_marion/

Edited by bluedevil