Wizards, Ilgauskas nearing buyout

Dash

Zydrunas Ilgauskas could officially reach a buyout agreement with the Wizards within the next couple of days, the center's agent told Yahoo! Sports.

Agent Herb Rudoy said he is "hopeful" that a buyout would be completed by "Monday or Tuesday," after having discussions with Washington general manager Ernie Grunfeld over the weekend.

The Los Angeles Times reported the NBA has told teams the center won't be allowed to return to the Cavaliers, based on evidence there was a prearranged deal.

Players have to wait 30 days before re-signing with the team that just traded them.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64925/20100222/wizards_ilgauskas_nearing_buyout/#ixzz0gIG6unDQ

An NBA source denied a report that the league would prevent Zydrunas Ilgauskas from returning to the Cavaliers. A high ranking source who requested anonymity said there was no truth to a report from the Los Angeles Times claiming that the league would try to prevent Ilgauskas' return to Cleveland if and/or when he is bought out by the Washington Wizards because the deal was previously agreed upon by the teams. There is no evidence of any such agreement.

Link

I wouldn't be surprised if the league did refuse it, though. They did it with Stackhouse.

But yeah, I can see why Wizards fans are happy, haha.

Only because Stackhouse was dumb enough to say publicly that he was just going to get bought out and return back to the Mavs (was it Dallas? I can't remember for sure). I think his words were something like "a 30 day vacation".

Even though everybody knows that Ilgauskas was planning on going back to the Cavs after being bought out, there was never any actual public comment or written agreement saying so, so technically the league can't do anything about it as there isn't any proof that this was planned all along (at least as far as I know).

Its the same thing with McDyess going back to Detroit after Denver bought him out. Everybody knew it would happen but they can't prove it.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

• Owner

Well, from another source (which I can't find now, lol), there was word that there was a verbal agreement between the two clubs, and there may be proof of that.

Probably not, though...and since it's been done so many times in the past, I don't see the problem with it.

HOWEVER, there should be a rule against it. The Lakers fans toyed with an idea of trading Fisher in a deal for Hinrich, then bringing him back after Chicago waived him...but honestly, it's a terrible way of dealing players that gives the advantage to teams who really don't care about the trade they are making.