Pat Riley's Thoughts on Trade Deadline

Poe

What were Heat President Pat Riley's thoughts about this years NBA trade deadline?

After repeatedly declining interview requests in the weeks leading to last Thursday's NBA trade deadline, Heat president Pat Riley held a conference call with select South Florida media that regularly covers the team.

Riley touched on a number of subjects, ranging from Miami's inability to make a trade to his thoughts on teams such as New York, Chicago and Washington moving to create salary-cap space for the summer, when LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh can become free agents.

Q. What is your response to being unable to land either Amare Stoudemire or Carlos Boozer before the deadline, when there were intense talks regarding both?

A. Well, that's not true, as far as the intense talks on both, at all. But it's here nor there. Half the NBA teams made moves this year, unprecedented actually. Most of the time, there's so much rumor, conjecture, hypothetical deals that, in the past, maybe one or two deals might get done. But we're in a different time now. We're in a whole different era of change. Most of the deals that were done were [luxury] tax [avoiding] deals or cap deals.

There was a lot of good talent just given away because of the opportunity that people see next year. We already did our work to get the cap space that we need for next [season].

Read More

If there's anyone I trust with the Heat its Riles.

Yea, I agree.

I also liked what he had to say about Beasley, and how he believes Bease will be a major core piece for years so come. "I see him two or three years from now as a 25 and 10 guy every single night."

Imagine a guy like that paired with Dwyane Wade, AND a third all star brought in from free agency. I mean, seriously. That's a freaking dynasty right there.

I wonder what his thoughts are on the other young guys, mainly Chalmers, Cook, and Wright. Since none of them seem to be included in any of the official trade offers, I suppose we can expect all three to still be considered as core pieces.

The biggest question out of those three is Dorell Wright, though. For one, his contract will be up, so whether he can be a big piece to this team or not, Wright still has all the freedom in the world to find a different team.

Still, I think it wasn't much longer than three years ago, Pat Riley said himself that he could envision the team being led by Wade and Wright. It was almost as if Riley was expecting Dorell to become like a Scottie Pippen-type player. Even after the injuries that have set back Wright's development, does Riles still see the same upside in Dorell? I remember Spoelstra frequently saying how Dorell has appeared to be the best all around player in many of the Heat practices this year. So there has to at least be some hope left for him.

Edited by Poe

Dorell can be a potential 6th man of the year if we sign some quality guys this offseason.

I just don't know why Wade would want to leave the situation he's in. The Chicago team isn't better than us when we've got Wade and they can't pair him up with another superstar like we can this offseason (no, Derrick Rose isn't a superstar). Not to mention Beasley is getting better every game and I really think a real coach could do wonders with this team.