Spoelstra Might Be Looking For a Job This Summer

Poe

Erik Spoelstra Might Be Looking For a Job This Summer

The Miami Heat's game against the Minnesota Timberwolves on Tuesday was yet another reminder that Eric Spoelsta's decision-making can be costly. More so, his handle on the roster is troubling.

There have been quite a few times throughout his two seasons that Spo's rotation, play-calling, and late-game actions have been called into question by the players and media. And it's gotten to the point where new questions have started brewing.

Earlier this year a frustrated Dwyane Wade called out his coach's play-calling. He didn't sound like someone who believed in the 37-year-old.

Is Spoelstra really capable of being the coach on a team that's supposed to contend next season? Can he earn the respect of another superstar besides Wade? Would LeBron James or Chris Bosh listen to him?

Spoelsta is the youngest coach in the NBA, so mistakes will be made. There's a learning curve, and it's understandable to a certain degree. But the issues are also over his control of the team.

He doesn't seem to have his players' ear the way Pat Riley, Stan Van Gundy, and even Ron Rothstein used to in recent years. Spoelstra's an intelligent guy, he's passionate and knows the game, but he can't quite sell it to his players.

The messages he's teaching aren't sinking in. What you're seeing on the court proves that. And it's partly because he's got to be losing credibility with his players. Spoelstra's decision-making is losing games.

How is he supposed to get the most out of Michael Beasley when the second year forward is left on the bench for most fourth quarter minutes this season? Mario Chalmers and Daequan Cook have had out of whack minutes for weeks now. Right now Spo is playing them, but their playing time isn't at all guaranteed. Dorell Wright has proven to be a gem off the Heat bench, but Spoelstra took over a month to get him on the court.

Keep Reading

This is an article I found on bleacherreport, but this pretty much sums up most of the complaints Spoelstra has been dealt with throughout the year.

Criticisms include his rotations, playcalling, late game line ups, getting his players focused before every game, all around decision making as a coach, giving enough minutes for certain players (Beasley, Wright) and their absence in the fourth quarter, and giving too many minutes for other players (Chalmers, Cook) and their prominence in the fourth quarter.

With the free agent splash the Heat will hope to make, I think it's a legit question on whether Spoelstra will keep his job as the head coach. Do players respect him enough to want to come to Miami and be coached by him? Does Wade respect him enough? If they do keep Spo and the Heat manage to build a contending team, will his youth and inexperience as a head coach catch up to him in pressure situations?

Either way, though, I do not believe Spo will be out of a job. If anything, he would have to step down to being the assistant again. Still, will Spoelstra still be the head coach the team next year? Or will Riley retake that spot? Or will Riley perhaps find a new coach? All are valid questions, IMO.

Edited by Poe

I'm convinced that Pat's had this planned since Shaq left. He knew we wouldn't be a contender again until we signed another guy in 2010 so he began making his moves (the tank job in 08 that got us Michael Beasley). He stepped down, hired an inexperienced coach in Spo who was bound to fail because he just wasn't ready for the job and commands no respect from the players. Last year Wade balls out and we're nothing more than a first found team and thus the questions about Spo begin. Riles knows there's no way a team with 2 superstars listens to Spo or respects him. We make our move(s) this summer and build around Dwyane and whoever else we bring in along with Beasley.

Point is, Riles is coming back next year because he'll finally have built the contender he wants to coach to a title. Whether it be Wade/LeBron, Wade/Bosh or Wade/Amare he's going to be back because he'll have the team that he can win with for his last go-around. I wouldn't be surprised is Dwyane is in on it too. They have a great relationship and communicate often.

That's my theory.

Either Riles comes back or Byron Scott takes over IMO. He's a Riley guy.

Edited by Flash

As much as people like to say success is based off the talent of the players, you need a great coach as well. I don't think Spoelstra is a terrible coach by any means, but he just doesn't have the experience yet. There is a chance that he could become a great coach in the future, though. However, it's going to take longer than a few years for him to reach that potential, and by next year, the Heat will need every piece possible that is ready to contend right away.

I think the idea of Riley taking his old job back is very likely. No need to fire Spoelstra, though. Just let him step down a bit from his role. He'll become a head coach again when he's ready. He still has a lot in his life ahead of him.

BTW, I don't think Spoelstra was doomed to fail when getting the job. He has been with the Heat organization for a long time, and many of the players knew he would eventually become the head coach. I think he's a smart guy, a very hard worker, obsessed with his job (in a good way), open minded (which is very rare with coaches... or any person in general), and he flat out knows the game of basketball. I think the problem is just his lack of experience as being in the position of head coach. There's a lot to learn about being a head coach that can't be taught unless he's gone through it himself.

Perhaps Riley put Spoelstra in this position on purpose, not because he was supposed to fail or anything like that, but to take advantage of a 2-year non-championship-contending-but-still-good-enough-for-the-playoffs span to give Spoelstra some more experience for when he might step up as a head coach again in the future. If Riley is to coach this team again when they are contenders, he still won't be coaching this team forever. He'll need someone else to take his place again, whether it will be 2..3.. or 4 years down, and I think he has a lot of confidence in Spoelstra that he might become a great coach one day.

Edited by Poe

As much as people like to say success is based off the talent of the players, you need a great coach as well. I don't think Spoelstra is a terrible coach by any means, but he just doesn't have the experience yet. There is a chance that he could become a great coach in the future, though. However, it's going to take longer than a few years for him to reach that potential, and by next year, the Heat will need every piece possible that is ready to contend right away.

I think the idea of Riley taking his old job back is very likely. No need to fire Spoelstra, though. Just let him step down a bit from his role. He'll become a head coach again when he's ready. He still has a lot in his life ahead of him.

He won't become an assistant. NBA coaches have too much pride.

He won't become an assistant. NBA coaches have too much pride.

He's too loyal to Riley. He's the one he gave Spoelstra a chance. If it wasn't for Pat Riley, Spo probably would have never even had a job with the NBA this early in his life.

BTW, I edited the other post I made, in case you missed it.

BTW, I don't think Spoelstra was doomed to fail when getting the job. He has been with the Heat organization for a long time, and many of the players knew he would eventually become the head coach. I think he's a smart guy, a very hard worker, obsessed with his job (in a good way), open minded (which is very rare with coaches... or any person in general), and he flat out knows the game of basketball. I think the problem is just his lack of experience as being in the position of head coach. There's a lot to learn about being a head coach that can't be taught unless he's gone through it himself.

I'm with you. He definitely put in Spo in on purpose but I do believe he knew Spo wouldn't cut it. My issue with Spo is that he doesn't command repect from his players. Without that you'll never win in this league.

Perhaps Riley put Spoelstra in this position on purpose, not because he was supposed to fail or anything like that, but to take advantage of a 2-year non-championship-contending-but-still-good-enough-for-the-playoffs span to give Spoelstra some more experience for when he might step up as a head coach again in the future. If Riley is to coach this team again when they are contenders, he still won't be coaching this team forever. He'll need someone else to take his place again, whether it will be 2..3.. or 4 years down, and I think he has a lot of confidence in Spoelstra that he might become a great coach one day.

I just don't see an NBA coach stepping down because his mentor wants to coach the team again.

I'm with you. He definitely put in Spo in on purpose but I do believe he knew Spo wouldn't cut it. My issue with Spo is that he doesn't command repect from his players. Without that you'll never win in this league.

Whether Spoe 'cut it' or not, the Heat aren't winning any championships with their current team, not last year and certainly not this year either, even if an elite coach was coaching this team.

Riley is obviously not using Spo to tank like he's Kiki, cause the Heat were in the playoffs last year and will be again this year. There's a lot of stress in the coaching job, and it's hard to coach for so many years at a time. Riley probably thought it would make better use of the non-contending span to give Spoelstra extra experience instead of wasting the two years on himself, if I'm making any sense.

I just don't see an NBA coach stepping down because his mentor wants to coach the team again.

Rothstein has been mentoring Spoelstra, actually. Riley has had very little to do with Spoelstra's decisions the past year and a half.

Still, Spoelstra respects Riley, and he basis his coaching style off of him. I wouldn't be too surprised to see him step down for a couple years and let Riley take over, and then regain his position later on as a much improved coach.

Whether Spoe 'cut it' or not, the Heat aren't winning any championships with their current team, not last year and certainly not this year either, even if an elite coach was coaching this team.

Riley is obviously not using Spo to tank like he's Kiki, cause the Heat were in the playoffs last year and will be again this year. There's a lot of stress in the coaching job, and it's hard to coach for so many years at a time. Riley probably thought it would make better use of the non-contending span to give Spoelstra extra experience instead of wasting the two years on himself, if I'm making any sense.

Rothstein has been mentoring Spoelstra, actually. Riley has had very little to do with Spoelstra's decisions the past year and a half.

Still, Spoelstra respects Riley, and he basis his coaching style off of him. I wouldn't be too surprised to see him step down for a couple years and let Riley take over, and then regain his position later on as a much improved coach.

I don't think you're understanding my point. I never said we tanked last year. The year before however, it was obvious. However, he meant to use Spo I think it was deliberate so that he could step in once 2010 came along.