NBA's Fab Five: Point Guards

Real Deal

• Owner

He's averaging 15 and 8, he could very well be a consideration.

At 39% shooting, and he had problems with Dunleavy.

Everyone on the top ten list is from a winning team minus Stephen Curry, and Curry's numbers are better than Baron's.

It became bad when he gets a lot of wide-open shots. I've watched probably 25-30 Rockets games this season, and most of the time, Brooks either gets open looks from downtown, mid-range, or he's got one man on him to the rim. That has a lot to do with the offense being ran, and also guys like Landry (when he was there), Scola and Ariza being scoring threats.

As good of a shooter Brooks can be (like he was in college), he should be netting at 46% or better right now, 48-50% when Yao gets back. Instead, he's throwing up numbers similar to Allen Iverson. Problem is, Iverson was the only scoring option on his team when he was young, and teams would double him all night long, non-stop.

You're still sitting here arguing that Brooks is better than Curry. Honestly, it shouldn't matter. He's not a top five, and it's not even close. Debate-worthy, he's 9-12. I respect the debate because there IS reason to argue it...Curry isn't that much better. If this were Brooks vs. Rose, I would've already hung up the phone.

Well Ive watched 63 Rockets games this season, and he isnt getting that many open looks from downtown as you call it, if anything, almost all of his shots are contested, and with Ariza as his backcourt partner for most of the time, the opposing defenders could focus more on Brooks rather than Ariza. Now that Martin is in the lineup with Ariza, he is getting more wide-open shots and getting more space to get it off which is why hes shooting 47% in the last 10 games and averaging 22.9 ppg and 5.8 APG, surprise?

Brooks would average at least 45% if he had Martin for the entire year (although im aware that he was injured)

• Owner

Well Ive watched 63 Rockets games this season, and he isnt getting that many open looks from downtown as you call it, if anything, almost all of his shots are contested, and with Ariza as his backcourt partner for most of the time, the opposing defenders could focus more on Brooks rather than Ariza. Now that Martin is in the lineup with Ariza, he is getting more wide-open shots and getting more space to get it off which is why hes shooting 47% in the last 10 games and averaging 22.9 ppg and 5.8 APG, surprise?

Brooks would average at least 45% if he had Martin for the entire year (although im aware that he was injured)

You're right, things do get easier with additional scoring options, which is why you should understand Curry's situation in Golden State.

Difference is, teams are more prone to letting Monta get his because he drives to the rim the majority of the time. Curry is a three-point threat, like Brooks.

The argument you're making for Aaron is the same I could make for Curry, which is why I came to the conclusion that they are next to each other in the rankings. I take Curry over Brooks because he's a better playmaker, which you shouldn't argue, and that's all she wrote.

Once Brooks starts shooting 46-47% from the floor, maybe that will overlap the fact that he's not a playmaker, and I will change my mind...but until he does that for more than just 10 games, Curry is the man, even as an unexperienced rookie.

You're right, things do get easier with additional scoring options, which is why you should understand Curry's situation in Golden State.

Difference is, teams are more prone to letting Monta get his because he drives to the rim the majority of the time. Curry is a three-point threat, like Brooks.

The argument you're making for Aaron is the same I could make for Curry, which is why I came to the conclusion that they are next to each other in the rankings. I take Curry over Brooks because he's a better playmaker, which you shouldn't argue, and that's all she wrote.

Once Brooks starts shooting 46-47% from the floor, maybe that will overlap the fact that he's not a playmaker, and I will change my mind...but until he does that for more than just 10 games, Curry is the man, even as an unexperienced rookie.

Well I wouldnt say that hes NOT a playmaker, he still has a lot of work to do in that department, but he has improved a lot in the last few years, especially from last year to this year, he is averaging around 5 APG, which I could say is ok for a 25 year old point guard, with how fast he is growing in that area, he could just hit 8 or 9, time will tell though.

• Owner

Well I wouldnt say that hes NOT a playmaker, he still has a lot of work to do in that department, but he has improved a lot in the last few years, especially from last year to this year, he is averaging around 5 APG, which I could say is ok for a 25 year old point guard, with how fast he is growing in that area, he could just hit 8 or 9, time will tell though.

I agree that he could improve more, and he has from where he was last season. Bigger role, bigger play. Some don't have the ability to handle that (Ariza).

Same happened with Curry. Nelson played him at odd times, moved him around in the lineup, didn't play him in the fourth quarters, etc. Finally, he took on a bigger role, started running the point, and he's playing really well.

Brooks can improve, and so can Curry. The only thing is, Curry is a rookie. Too much potential there. If I were to pick who would be the better player in the long run, I'd take the kid out of Davidson, but that's probably not the popular pick among Houston fans...even though I really think you guys would make that trade immediately, if given the chance. At least Morey would.

I agree that he could improve more, and he has from where he was last season. Bigger role, bigger play. Some don't have the ability to handle that (Ariza).

Same happened with Curry. Nelson played him at odd times, moved him around in the lineup, didn't play him in the fourth quarters, etc. Finally, he took on a bigger role, started running the point, and he's playing really well.

Brooks can improve, and so can Curry. The only thing is, Curry is a rookie. Too much potential there. If I were to pick who would be the better player in the long run, I'd take the kid out of Davidson, but that's probably not the popular pick among Houston fans...even though I really think you guys would make that trade immediately, if given the chance. At least Morey would.

Morey wouldn't make the trade, he'd find a way to get LeBron and Kobe involved and send back David Andersen and Jared Jeffries :D

Chill brah, he can dribble the ball, thats a PG skill.

He can definitely dribble. In fact, he dribbles so well that he dribbles half of the play and then will proceed to either chuck up a three, turn the ball over or drive into two big men trying to do God knows what.

I like the list Real Deal, but I'd make 2 small changes...

1) Chris Paul

2) Deron Williams

3) Steve Nash

4) Rajon Rondo

5) Chauncey Billups

CP3 and D-Will are without a doubt the 2 best PG's in the league, but I fell that Paul is just more talented overall, more statistically effective and is more capable of dominating games (or series' as he showed in 2008 when he absolutely raped Jason Kidd). Paul is the better pure passer/playmaker, better jumpshooter, better defensive player, and despite the size disadvantage is even the better rebounder by a good margin. I love Deron's game and his smarts, but Paul is just the better player.

As for Chauncey Billups going ahead of Rose/Westbrook/etc, it's all about his experience, leadership, and knack for winning wherever he goes. While he is not the playmaker Rose is, and while he is a volume shooter, I'd take his toughness, defense, and ability to just make the right plays and win over Rose, who is only a 2nd year player. If I had to have one of them man the point for my team, I'd go with Chauncey.

Edited by Nitro1118