Jack Armstrong: Four Areas The Raptors Need To Improve

1. TALENT: This team has talent and it has depth. Can't go into games though thinking that on 'paper' you're better and it will take care of itself. Doesn't work that way. Look at the Sixers home loss as an example. Consistent level of performance has been an issue of late when you look at Hedu Turkoglu, DeMar DeRozan, Antoine Wright, Jose Calderon and Andrea Bargnani to name a few.

It's winning time now and after all this time guys should be finding their groove and be consistent. Has to start to happen - Now.

2. PLAYING ROTATION: Jay Triano and his staff need to make the hard/tough decisions on this. As you get further into March you need to tighten the rotation and only play people that you absolutely trust that they'll be there for you each game and build better cohesion/chemistry in the role definition and consistency of the team. Problem is that they have good depth at their disposal, yet for a team to flourish you've got to tighten up the rotation not loosen it.

At this stage of the season each guy you use should be able to play all out major minutes and fatigue should be a marginal issue after all this time. Guys should be in peak condition at this stage. Time to ride your main horses. Decisions like this are never easy. It's not the job of the coaching staff to make the players happy, it's the job of the players to make the coaches happy. Each player has had more than enough of a chance to sink/swim. Winning time now. Get it done.

3. TURNOVERS/SHOT SELECTION: The offensive execution of late has gotten sloppy and needs to improve. Can't win on the road coughing up the ball and taking ill-advised shots. This team has good-very good offensive talent. They can score on anyone when they're going good. These two areas are really hurting this team right now.

Get back to playing as a team sharing the ball, getting good high percentage shots and respecting the value of possessing the ball. There are too many guys looking to make plays for themselves. We've seen them do it. Time to do it again.

4. DEFENSIVE EFFORT: Are you willing to sprint back, slow the ball down, contain the dribble, bang cuts, pressure passes, contest shots, communicate, win loose ball battles, take charges, get nasty, box out and rebound and create turnovers?

Are you willing to pay the price again? We've seen this team do this enough this year to know that they CAN do it. Now they've got to WANT to do it and it has to become a daily HABIT. It's not a glamorous job but it wins games and at the very least keeps you in them until your offense bounces back. Find a way to dig down and compete harder. Slippage has occurred in this area.

http://tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=313062

I think that Armstrong pretty much hit the nail on the head, like he usually does during his articles/blogs and when he is doing commentary.

I know that the Raptors had a very easy schedule during the weeks leading up to the All-Star break and they have hit a hard part in their schedule once again in the days after the All-Star break, but there is no excuse for the lack of effort in some of the games that they have played. I don't care that they lose to upper echelon teams like Cleveland or OKC, but it is annoying to see the Raptors play Cleveland tight because of great offensive execution, play hard defense and make the Cavs work for their baskets (even though they put up 120 something points) and play with passion, only to see them play like they don't give a damn the next couple of nights against OKC and Houston.

They need to pick it up or else there is a very good chance that the Raptors will be watching the playoffs from home once again.

What a [expletive]ty spot to be in if you are a Raptor fan. You miss the playoffs, cool, we keep our pick, and it is a very deep draft. But Bosh could leave if we miss the playoffs. Like I want to win, but if you are telling me Xavier Henry could fall to us, that is an awful head game to put me in.