Catching the Celtics

Jenneral

Just curious as to what the general community thought on this one. Do you think it's possible that the Bucks (35-29) can catch the Celtics (40-24) for the 4th seed? Milwaukee has been playing their best basketball of the season while the Celtics have been playing some of their worst.

Milwaukee is 9-1 in their last 10 games and have a current win streak of 6 after a tough loss to the Hawks.

Boston is 5-5 in their last 10 after a big loss to Cleveland today.

Both teams have 17 games remaining.

So what do you guys think? Is it possible for the Bucks to gain the 5 games back in order to pass the Celtics? I'd say it's highly unlikely but it's certainly not impossible. Especially if the Bucks manage to go 14-3 to close out the season in order to get them 50 wins.

Its like you said, its possible but not very likely. Boston would need to continue their .500 play and if they go 8-9, Milwaukee would need to go at least 13-5 (and own the tiebreaker).

Take a look at their upcoming schedule.

@ Clippers

@ Kings

@ Nuggets

Vs Hawks

Vs 76ers

Vs Heat

Vs Grizzlies

Vs Clippers

@ Cavaliers

@ Bobcats

Vs Suns

@ Suns

Vs Nets

@ 76ers

Vs Celtics

Vs Hawks

@ Celtics

Assuming you guys lose to the Cavs and Nuggets, the Bucks can only afford to lose only one or two more games. Those Celtics games will be crucial.

Edited by Dash

Its like you said, its possible but not very likely. Boston would need to continue their .500 play and if they go 8-9, Milwaukee would need to go at least 13-5 (and own the tiebreaker).

Take a look at their upcoming schedule.

@ Clippers

@ Kings

@ Nuggets

Vs Hawks

Vs 76ers

Vs Heat

Vs Grizzlies

Vs Clippers

@ Cavaliers

@ Bobcats

Vs Suns

@ Suns

Vs Nets

@ 76ers

Vs Celtics

Vs Hawks

@ Celtics

Assuming you guys lose to the Cavs and Nuggets, the Bucks can only afford to lose only one or two more games. Those Celtics games will be crucial.

It's a brutal end. @ Cleveland and Charlotte, two with the Suns, two with the Celtics, and a game with Atlanta---that's rough. If they do catch Boston, they'd have earned it, that's for sure.

I think the Bucks should be more focused on staying ahead of the seeds beneath them rather than catching up to Boston. It seems to me that the Bucks are just having a hot streak since their trade. I'm not saying the 4th seed is completely unrealistic, they are a better team than before, but not enough to be a top 4 team in the East IMO.

Especially looking at their very tough upcoming schedule, they'll probably finish in the 7th or 8th seed.

Edited by Poe

And who do you think will pass us for the 5/6? The Heat?

The Heat have a much easier schedule to finish the year - maybe the easiest ending schedule in the league. So with that in mind, the Heat do have a better chance at finishing in the 5th or 6th seed.

I also believe Toronto is likely to pass Milwaukee. I predicted them to be a streaky team last summer and they haven't disappointed. They will probably gain a hot streak to cancel out their recent losing streak to finish the year.

The Bobcats is a team to keep an eye on as well. They are starting to remind me of the Detroit Pistons of last decade, though they still seem to lack the legitimate offensive options to gain anything higher than 7th or 8th seed, but I could be wrong.

Still, for Bucks fans, it's got to be a huge success this year just to make it into the playoffs. Whether they make it 4th or 8th, it's still way higher than what almost anyone would have expected.