[Completed] NBA's greatest small forward?

Real Deal

Stop being so narrow minded... It's clearly obvious there's more to it than just rings.

There's not one thing you can legitimately say in this type of argument that supports LeBron. Larry Bird has him in almost every statistical category. He's just as good of a defender, better shooter, just as good of a rebounder, close to LeBron when it comes to passing, and he's a better leader.

No.....

The fact that everyone puts so much stock into a TEAM award when comparing individual players annoys me, I can understand using rings to a certain extent, but some players don't get an opportunity to win a ring. People hold against players who don't win rings, I mean how long has LBJ had a 'championship caliber' cast? Does he even have one now? This is debatable.

I guess I think LBJ is the best best SF ever, he might not fit the apparent definition of 'great', which I guess I can agree with.

No.....

The fact that everyone puts so much stock into a TEAM award when comparing individual players annoys me, I can understand using rings to a certain extent, but some players don't get an opportunity to win a ring. People hold against players who don't win rings, I mean how long has LBJ had a 'championship caliber' cast? Does he even have one now? This is debatable.

I guess I think LBJ is the best best SF ever, he might not fit the apparent definition of 'great', which I guess I can agree with.

Take out the championships, and please at least try to look at this more objectively.

In 13 NBA seasons, Larry Bird has...

- 21,791 points

- 5695 assists

- 8974 rebounds

- .496% FG

- .376% 3PFG

- 3 MVP's

- 2 Finals MVP

Aside from total career points, Bird doubles LeBron in every other statistical category... So what exactly were you saying no to?

It's absolutely erroneous to even think a player who has 1 MVP on his belt and 7 NBA seasons can compete with a player who is considered a top 5-10 player of all time. I understand you grew up watching LBJ as I did, but respect what the legends of this league have accomplished.

So don't give me this bull[expletive] about people constantly talking about rings, because even without the rings argument, this whole debate favors Larry Bird.

• Like 3

In 13 NBA seasons, Larry Bird has...

- 21,791 points

- 5695 assists

- 8974 rebounds

- .496% FG

- .376% 3PFG

- 3 MVP's

- 2 Finals MVP

Aside from total career points, Bird doubles LeBron in every other statistical category... So what exactly were you saying no to?

Just to point out, it's not really fair to compare what Bird achieved in 13 seasons to what LeBron has up to this point. It's not hard to believe that Bird had more assists/rebounds in almost double the amount of time.

Up to this point (543 games), LeBron James has...

- 15,106 points

- 3,768 assists

- 3,819 rebounds

- 948 steals

- 479 blocks

- .475% FG

- .330% 3PFG

In 7 NBA seasons (561 games), Larry Bird had...

- 13,431 points

- 3,334 assists

- 5,897 rebounds

- 1,034 steals

- 471 blocks

I agree with you, though. Larry Bird is the greatest SF at this point.

Just to point out, it's not really fair to compare what Bird achieved in 13 seasons to what LeBron has up to this point. It's not hard to believe that Bird had more assists/rebounds in almost double the amount of time.

Up to this point (543 games), LeBron James has...

- 15,106 points

- 3,768 assists

- 3,819 rebounds

- 948 steals

- 479 blocks

- .475% FG

- .330% 3PFG

In 7 NBA seasons (561 games), Larry Bird had...

- 13,431 points

- 3,334 assists

- 5,897 rebounds

- 1,034 steals

- 471 blocks

I agree with you, though. Larry Bird is the greatest SF at this point.

Why not? We're talking about all time, right? What else am I supposed to bring up then? It's everyone's career we're putting into perspective, I won't shorten Bird's career just to make it a "fair" comparison.

If people are willing to consider LBJ here, then be sure to look at the disadvantages, or I will just bring them up.

Why not? We're talking about all time, right? What else am I supposed to bring up then? It's everyone's career we're putting into perspective, I won't shorten Bird's career just to make it a "fair" comparison.

If people are willing to consider LBJ here, then be sure to look at the disadvantages, or I will just bring them up.

It might be true and/or obvious, but it's ridiculous nonetheless to point out Bird has higher career totals. That doesn't illustrate that Bird is a better player than LeBron James. All it shows is that Bird was able to put up more points, rebounds, assists, etc. in double the amount of games. So what? In my opinion, that doesn't help your argument. All I'm saying.

To be honest, it's actually an advantage considering LeBron James has scored almost more than 2000 points and dished out more assists than Bird in less games.

It might be true and/or obvious, but it's ridiculous nonetheless to point out Bird has higher career totals. That doesn't illustrate that Bird is a better player than LeBron James. All it shows is that Bird was able to put up more points, rebounds, assists, etc. in double the amount of games. So what? In my opinion, that doesn't help your argument. All I'm saying.

To be honest, it's actually an advantage considering LeBron James has scored almost more than 2000 points and dished out more assists than Bird in less games.

No, it shows that AT THIS POINT, Bird is the better player. Statistically he is, and he's more successful than LeBron.

If I were to create a greatest players list, who's more likely to be in the top 10, LeBron or Bird? Would it look good to have someone who has accrued less stats, less MVP awards, and less rings over a player who we all consider to be the one who brought back excitement (with the help of Magic) into this world?

No, it shows that AT THIS POINT, Bird is the better player. Statistically he is, and he's more successful than LeBron.

If I were to create a greatest players list, who's more likely to be in the top 10, LeBron or Bird? Would it look good to have someone who has accrued less stats, less MVP awards, and less rings over a player who we all consider to be the one who brought back excitement (with the help of Magic) into this world?

No it just shows that Larry Bird played more games. Hes only more successful than LeBron because he played when there were less teams, less talent, less black players, etc.

No it just shows that Larry Bird played more games. Hes only more successful than LeBron because he played when there were less teams, less talent, less black players, etc.

So we're going to take someone who hasn't played more games, hasn't scored as much, hasn't won more over someone who did? Wtf?

So we're going to take someone who hasn't played more games, hasn't scored as much, hasn't won more over someone who did? Wtf?

Bro, we are talking about LeBron James, the guy who puts 30 points every night and still get at least 8 assists, hes not even human. Sure Larry Bird was good in his time but put LeBron in the past, he would be better than almost anyone, would probably average 45 ppg in Bird's time.

I would go with Bird because he is so consistent and deadly with his 3's. I would've said LeBron, but he is too young to be considered the greatest SF and also, I can't really define him as a pure SF as he has played from PG to PF throughout his career. In a way, it shows how versatile he is but I can't really define him as a SF personally.

Bro, we are talking about LeBron James, the guy who puts 30 points every night and still get at least 8 assists, hes not even human. Sure Larry Bird was good in his time but put LeBron in the past, he would be better than almost anyone, would probably average 45 ppg in Bird's time.

:lol:

I hope you're kidding... I'd take Bird's stats over LeBron's in his prime any day of the week. We're talking about a guy who has averaged nearly 29, 11, and 7 before...

Through 6 seasons, LeBron has been to the finals once and has one MVP award. Bird through 6 seasons had 2 titles and 2 MVP awards (and won both again in his 7th season). Bird was a much better passer, a much better shooter, a much better rebounder, and he's also the greatest clutch shooter in the history of the league. There's no way that you can say that LeBron is better than Bird. He might be more talented, but that doesn't make him a better basketball player.

This thread feels like it's primarily ignoring 60 years of NBA history.

:lol:

I hope you're kidding... I'd take Bird's stats over LeBron's in his prime any day of the week. We're talking about a guy who has averaged nearly 29, 11, and 7 before...

Through 6 seasons, LeBron has been to the finals once and has one MVP award. Bird through 6 seasons had 2 titles and 2 MVP awards (and won both again in his 7th season). Bird was a much better passer, a much better shooter, a much better rebounder, and he's also the greatest clutch shooter in the history of the league. There's no way that you can say that LeBron is better than Bird. He might be more talented, but that doesn't make him a better basketball player.

This thread feels like it's primarily ignoring 60 years of NBA history.

A much better passer? I wouldnt agree there, even if Bird is better than LeBron, you could say slightly at best. LeBron is right now averaging 8.5 APG (which isnt even human for a SF)while Bird's career high is a 7.6

Bird was a better shooter and rebounder, but still LeBron is easily the better scorer, much better when slashing because he either creates or just dunks the crap out of the ball.

Stats are misleading. Bird averaged more rebounds cause he played PF a lot. LeBron averages more assists because he played PG alot due to the injuries on his team, plus he plays a point-forward role even when his guards are healthy.

A much better passer? I wouldnt agree there, even if Bird is better than LeBron, you could say slightly at best. LeBron is right now averaging 8.5 APG (which isnt even human for a SF)while Bird's career high is a 7.6

Bird was a better shooter and rebounder, but still LeBron is easily the better scorer, much better when slashing because he either creates or just dunks the crap out of the ball.

How exactly is LeBron the better scorer? If you're going to make these half assed statements, at least support them properly. Bird could shoot the lights out, he had an excellent post game as well. I get it, you have witnessed LeBron live, but get off his nuts, he isn't God..

LeBron is a great passer, but he's surrounded by 5-6 good three point shooters.. What offense does Cleveland run? Give the ball to LeBron and let him do whatever he likes.

Bird has more talent than the Cavs obviously, which naturally would mean less scoring for Bird, right? Wrong, even with that talent, Bird was able to score 27 any night with ease on a better FG%.

Bird is a better defender, better passer, rebounder, scorer, and leader than LeBron. Let's leave it at that.

But I forgot, Bird isn't playing now, so we automatically have to assume what LeBron is doing has never been done before..

How exactly is LeBron the better scorer? If you're going to make these half assed statements, at least support them properly. Bird could shoot the lights out, he had an excellent post game as well. I get it, you have witnessed LeBron live, but get off his nuts, he isn't God..

LeBron is a great passer, but he's surrounded by 5-6 good three point shooters.. What offense does Cleveland run? Give the ball to LeBron and let him do whatever he likes.

Bird has more talent than the Cavs obviously, which naturally would mean less scoring for Bird, right? Wrong, even with that talent, Bird was able to score 27 any night with ease on a better FG%.

Bird is a better defender, better passer, rebounder, scorer, and leader than LeBron. Let's leave it at that.

But I forgot, Bird isn't playing now, so we automatically have to assume what LeBron is doing has never been done before..

How is LeBron the better scorer? Who cares if LeBron doesnt have an amazing 3 point shot or some crazy post game with lots of finesse moves, he gets his 30 night in and night out by just simply being better than everybody. Not only that but a 22-23 year old LeBron averaged 31.4 ppg, while Larry Bird's highest in his career is 29.9 ppg. When LeBron is 28, he will amass more points than Larry Bird has in his career.

Who cares what kind of offense Cleveland runs, he gets his assists doesnt he? Larry Bird also had better options in Robert Parish and Kevin McHale while LeBron has never had a solid 2nd option his whole career.

Comparing one of today's players to a legend is still somewhat considered blasphemy, but look at LeBron, if you honestly put the current LeBron in Larry Bird's time, there would be no way to stop him.

How is LeBron the better scorer? Who cares if LeBron doesnt have an amazing 3 point shot or some crazy post game with lots of finesse moves, he gets his 30 night in and night out by just simply being better than everybody. Not only that but a 22-23 year old LeBron averaged 31.4 ppg, while Larry Bird's highest in his career is 29.9 ppg. When LeBron is 28, he will amass more points than Larry Bird has in his career.

There's a difference between a player who scores more points and a player who scores points more efficiently.

LeBron averages 21 field goal attempts per game for his career with 10 field goals made, and 9 free throw attempts with 6.6 free throws made.

Bird only exceeded the 20 FGA mark in only 4 different seasons, while LeBron has done so every season of his career since his rookie year. At the same time, Bird averages 9.6 field goals made for his career, only .4 below LeBron despite attempted 2 less shots per game (19.3). Not to mention Bird averaged only 5 free throw attempts, 4.4 of them made.. only 2.2 below LeBron despite attempting 4 less free throws.

There's a difference between a player who scores more points and a player who scores points more efficiently.

LeBron averages 21 field goal attempts per game for his career with 10 field goals made, and 9 free throw attempts with 6.6 free throws made.

Bird only exceeded the 20 FGA mark in only 4 different seasons, while LeBron has done so every season of his career since his rookie year. At the same time, Bird averages 9.6 field goals made for his career, only .4 below LeBron despite attempted 2 less shots per game (19.3). Not to mention Bird averaged only 5 free throw attempts, 4.4 of them made.. only 2.2 below LeBron despite attempting 4 less free throws.

Thats a good point, but the more shots you take, the less efficient you would be. LeBron's career field goal % is 47.5% compared to Bird's 49.6%, the main reason for that is because LeBron's field goal % was mediocre his rookie year, which was about 41.7%, and the fact that Larry Bird was a tremendous 3 point shooter, with age, LeBron's 3 point shooting will go up, you can tell he has tremendously improved on that and free throw shooting in the past few years.

LeBron James while not that good of a free throw shooter as Bird, he still went to the line a lot more. Bird being more complete offensively doesnt make him a better scorer than LeBron, just gives him more weapons, but its better to have 1 perfect weapon than 3 good ones.

Who cares what kind of offense Cleveland runs, he gets his assists doesnt he? Larry Bird also had better options in Robert Parish and Kevin McHale while LeBron has never had a solid 2nd option his whole career.

Comparing one of today's players to a legend is still somewhat considered blasphemy, but look at LeBron, if you honestly put the current LeBron in Larry Bird's time, there would be no way to stop him.

Stop downplaying the 80's, you do realize that was considered the golden age of basketball? The same era where a defender could throw you down on a drive to the basket and receive no calls? Not only would LeBron lead the leagues in crying after a no call, but he'd be the one affected by this the most. He lives off his dribble drive, the 80's post defenders wouldn't care two [expletive]s about how big he is.

Would you consider Karl Malone a better scorer than Jordan? Statistically speaking, he is. But when you look at HOW they score and how efficiently they score, MJ takes the cake. You can throw all the stats you want at me, the fact is, Larry knew how to score in a variety of ways.

He gets assists by driving into the lane, getting doubled, and kicking out to an open three point shooter. Does that make him a great passer? Now, I'm not downplaying his passing skills because I did acknowledge that he is a good passer, just not better than Bird who was able to do much more in an offense than LBJ.

Let's talk about what Bird did when he came to the NBA. The Celtics were 29-53 before he came. Then in his rookie season the Celtics won 61 games. He did that without Mchale or Parish. He led them to the ECF too in his rookie season. Won a championship leading the Celtics while he was in his second year. Bird won 3 championships, and 3 MVP awards in his first 7 seasons. That's something Lebron isn't closed to in his first 7 seasons.

Stop downplaying the 80's, you do realize that was considered the golden age of basketball? The same era where a defender could throw you down on a drive to the basket and receive no calls? Not only would LeBron lead the leagues in crying after a no call, but he'd be the one affected by this the most. He lives off his dribble drive, the 80's post defenders wouldn't care two [expletive]s about how big he is.

Would you consider Karl Malone a better scorer than Jordan? Statistically speaking, he is. But when you look at HOW they score and how efficiently they score, MJ takes the cake. You can throw all the stats you want at me, the fact is, Larry knew how to score in a variety of ways.

He gets assists by driving into the lane, getting doubled, and kicking out to an open three point shooter. Does that make him a great passer? Now, I'm not downplaying his passing skills because I did acknowledge that he is a good passer, just not better than Bird who was able to do much more in an offense than LBJ.

Let's talk about what Bird did when he came to the NBA. The Celtics were 29-53 before he came. Then in his rookie season the Celtics won 61 games. He did that without Mchale or Parish. He led them to the ECF too in his rookie season. Won a championship leading the Celtics while he was in his second year. Bird won 3 championships, and 3 MVP awards in his first 7 seasons. That's something Lebron isn't closed to in his first 7 seasons.

The 80s WERE considered the golden age of basketball, but the 90s were a lot better, more teams, a lot of better players like Jordan, Hakeem, Malone, Stockton, Shaq, etc. But thats entirely a different subject. BTW the first paragraph undeniably shows that you are a LeBron-hater, but I see why since you support the Wizards. The 80s post defenders wouldn't give 2 [expletive]s? You are making it seem like LeBron wouldn't be doing the same thing 20 years ago as he would today, LeBron for a 6'8 player is VERY mobile and athletic, players in the 80s didnt see anyone like LeBron, Jordan who was a lot skinnier than LeBron did good in the 80s, LeBron whole is built like a rugby player would still plow threw everyone as he does today.

Would I consider Malone better than Jordan? No, and statistically speaking he wasnt even better than him, Jordan by career average, averaged 30.1 ppg which is more than Malone. You also cant compare a PF to a SG, its totally different, Jordan had more ways to score, because he could work more from outside. LeBron still rakes in more assists than Bird, thats the way I use to determine the better passer, you might do it differently, but thats my way of comparing.

The game 20 years ago was totally different than today's game too, The Cavs had a minor jump from LeBron's first year, had about an 18 game swing, but considering LeBron was 19 at the time, thats pretty huge. Larry Bird might have taken his team to the ECF when he was 22, but LeBron took his team to the finals at age 23. LeBron is only 25, so rings will come.

Thats a good point, but the more shots you take, the less efficient you would be. LeBron's career field goal % is 47.5% compared to Bird's 49.6%, the main reason for that is because LeBron's field goal % was mediocre his rookie year, which was about 41.7%, and the fact that Larry Bird was a tremendous 3 point shooter, with age, LeBron's 3 point shooting will go up, you can tell he has tremendously improved on that and free throw shooting in the past few years.

LeBron James while not that good of a free throw shooter as Bird, he still went to the line a lot more. Bird being more complete offensively doesnt make him a better scorer than LeBron, just gives him more weapons, but its better to have 1 perfect weapon than 3 good ones.

See, this is part of the reason I think LeBron could become better, but isn't better yet. Bird had more years in his career as a better overall player while LeBron is still young in his career.

I don't think there is any player in history that was as good as LeBron as young as LeBron was, but he has still yet to match Bird's prime and total career. In Bird's career he was a better shooter, better post-up player, more moves in his offensive arsenal, and in my opinion, simply a more well-rounded scorer and an overall smarter player than LeBron.

One thing that keeps me from being completely sold that LeBron WILL become better than Bird with time, which is what most people would naturally think due to his dominance early in his career, we have yet to see how LeBron copes with age. When he doesn't have the speed and overall athleticism that he used to, will he be able to adjust his game? Kobe and Jordan developed a better jumper and a post-game. LeBron, on the other hand, currently only shoots .012 over his career 3 point shooting percentage, and his post game isn't exactly refined.

Not saying that Bron will never catch Bird - he has all the opportunity in the world to possibly become even the greatest player to ever play - I'm just remaining skeptical.

The 80s WERE considered the golden age of basketball, but the 90s were a lot better, more teams, a lot of better players like Jordan, Hakeem, Malone, Stockton, Shaq, etc. But thats entirely a different subject. BTW the first paragraph undeniably shows that you are a LeBron-hater, but I see why since you support the Wizards. The 80s post defenders wouldn't give 2 [expletive]s? You are making it seem like LeBron wouldn't be doing the same thing 20 years ago as he would today, LeBron for a 6'8 player is VERY mobile and athletic, players in the 80s didnt see anyone like LeBron, Jordan who was a lot skinnier than LeBron did good in the 80s, LeBron whole is built like a rugby player would still plow threw everyone as he does today.

Would I consider Malone better than Jordan? No, and statistically speaking he wasnt even better than him, Jordan by career average, averaged 30.1 ppg which is more than Malone. You also cant compare a PF to a SG, its totally different, Jordan had more ways to score, because he could work more from outside. LeBron still rakes in more assists than Bird, thats the way I use to determine the better passer, you might do it differently, but thats my way of comparing.

The game 20 years ago was totally different than today's game too, The Cavs had a minor jump from LeBron's first year, had about an 18 game swing, but considering LeBron was 19 at the time, thats pretty huge. Larry Bird might have taken his team to the ECF when he was 22, but LeBron took his team to the finals at age 23. LeBron is only 25, so rings will come.

No, I'm not saying LBJ won't be effective in the 80s, I'm saying he would be less dominant. How many good post defenders are there now to stop a physical specimen like LeBron? How many are there back in the 80s? A lot more...

I think the big differences today and the 80s are:

1. Much less physical. I think that's a good thing, as it got out of hand for a while. It does water down a lot of the elite wingmen today though, as I saw with my own eyes what Jordan did against superior defense and I KNOW for a fact today's elite wingmen couldn't do that.

2. Much fewer talented bigs. Probably the 15th best big in 1995 could be in the top 3 today. Its partly rules, but mostly a lack of development in bigs IMO. And there just seems to be fewer legit 7 footers around for whatever reason.

3. Less emphasis on winning. A lot, lot more teams are tanking for draft position or to save cap space than before. This means 4-5 really stacked teams and a lot of really mediocre teams trying to save cash, develop their projects, and just get by. It also means a lot less hotly contested games, and the NBA middle class is gone. And this is also partly why IMO the league has the perception of not being skilled -- because 15+ teams in the league on any given night are more worried about letting their players learn to dribble and pass than winning the game at hand. I think the league overexpanded, and rewards losers too much. It needs a revamp in a lot of ways.

4. More thuggish and "urban" than ever. This makes the league less mainstream than it was. Fewer tickets, less money, and more about living the life than the game a lot of the time. We all are here because we love the game, but face it -- the league isn't about basketball alone anymore.

5. More emphasis on 1s and half court game. Perhaps because its nearly impossible to find a big who can play inside out, perhaps because wings are so athletic its hard to find a consistent slasher, perhaps because players today do a great job of rotating and protecting penetration, a skilled setup man and 3+ guys who can spread the floor is the norm now. I think this is an improvement over the 90s, where you often played 2 man ball with 3 guys standing there, but at the same time I miss scoring bigs of the 90s and the fast break of the 80s. But guys like CP3 and Nash always amaze me.

The problem with stats is you can spin em to prove any point you want to really. And stats don't take account for the intangibles. For example Chauncey Billups didn't have the best stats in Detroit. But you see the difference he has on Denver. Then you have players like Nash who under Dantoni and the right system had insane numbers but they were inflated because the system they played. Stats are a quick way to determine who is better but if the stats are close or even somewhat close you have to bring in everything else.

Team and individual defense is better than it's ever been, especially added to the fact that help D isn't nearly as restricted as it was before. If LeBron were to go back to the 80s, he'd most likely dominate even more so than he does today.

That's the main contradiction in comparing players then and now. You wonder whether a star so many years ago would still be a star had they been born in a different era. Training and coaching, competition, and expanded knowledge as we learn newer things about the game. All of this keeps growing as time goes on.

I've made a point about this before, but take a guy like Magic Johnson in his prime state and transport him into today's world. It's possible he may have not fared off better than Shaun Livingston. On the other hand, if you had him start as a child and experience the same training, coaching, and so on that people today have, he may have still developed into a superstar again today like he was in the 80s. Or maybe he would still bust due to the increased level of competition, therefore increased level of play from basketball players as a whole making Magic look less... magical than before, from the growing number of people who play the game.

You can argue stats all day, but stats can only tell you so much. There's no true stat for good defense, and the worse the defense is the better an offensive player looks. A player who scored 50 points in the 70s or so on 60% shooting may have trouble scoring just 15 points in 40% in today's game. Team defense is also improved, and is better at clogging passing lanes, so assist numbers may change as well. Rebounding may change due to stronger athletes and improved team rebounding when all 5 guys may put emphasis on rebounding, leaving less available rebounds for an individual player.

I could keep going on. Really, the more I think about it, the more unfair it seems to compare players from each era and say who's truly better. Really, being the best in today's NBA could mean the best of all time as well.

Edited by Poe