Kenyon Martin Unsure Of Return This Season

The Regime

Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin may not return this season as he deals with a left knee injury.

Martin has described his chances of playing in any of Denver's remaining seven regular-season games as "dim."

He missed his 14th consecutive game when the Nuggets lost to the Mavericks on Monday night. He has been undergoing platelet-rich plasma therapy, which involves injecting his blood into his knee to help spur tendon recovery.

"Realistically, I might not be able to play this year. ... I might not be able to play the rest of the year," Martin told Yahoo! Sports. "That's what I'm realistic about, that I might not be able to. It's still up in the air. But, I'm going to do all I can to make sure. I'm going to put my best foot forward and work hard every day to make sure I get back, but if it's not meant to be, then it's out of my control.

"Nobody will ever be upset that I didn't try. They will never be able to say that. I've fought through stuff worse than that."

The team's medical staff diagnosed Martin with a partial tear of his left patella tendon on March 5, with surgery among the possible options, according to sources.

Denver has publicly referred to the injury as "patella tendonitis."

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/65665/20100330/kenyon_martin_unsure_of_return_this_season/

Wow this would be a huge hit for the Nuggets. There is no way they can get past the Lakers or Mavs without K Mart.

He's our anchor defensively. I agree though with Real Afflalo is the best individual defender. But the defensive captain is still KMart... he's the better team defender, a very good individual defender. He always plays physical, brings intensity, just demands it from his teammates on that end... brings out the best in them.

But I can't agree if the team fails to play better defense because of KMart's absence... to me it's just a bunch of bull[expletive] excuses. All of the reasons for significantly worse defense since KMart was down is because of lack of effort and attitude. It's all not because of one guy...

I believe we can still do good in playoffs without KMart... but provided 1.) the team changes their mentality very quick and 2.) we get GK back. Mentality such as... Melo saying he's looking forward to the Mavs game but when it came... he didn't even bother to box out Haywood even when he was fully aware Haywood was under the rim... didn't even try to fight for a position, didn't even touch him. Not only Melo, but some guys are not fully committed to their respective roles as of late... Billups has been pretty selfish which is surprising.

Then I hope GK returns... Dantley has been dealt with unfair card... no interim coach can survive being thrown on a team with championship aspirations with only 15 games to work with... no training camp, no pre-season games... it's pressure as good as you can find in any job. Just GK's presence on the sideline would help us a lot. Without him, I think we can beat a first round team in 7 games (if we have homecourt) but in second round we're toast...

A wild card is the emergence of Lawson and Petro. Petro had been playing great with his rebounding and blocking shots... then mystery of all mystery he played little and just as he was gaining confidence he wasn't playing again. Then Lawson found himself backing up Carter which is the most ridiculous untold story in the NBA... it's just ridiculous. Lawson is our engine... he has the legs now the veterans are exhausted... his speed is one of our main weapons. Without him, we're not as good as we can be... it's not even close. The past two games though, he's been playing... so I hope it continues. If these guys play to their potential, I think we can make up the loss of KMart.

But I don't think we can make up the loss of George Karl... although I hope I'm wrong.

• Owner
But I can't agree if the team fails to play better defense because of KMart's absence... to me it's just a bunch of bull[expletive] excuses. All of the reasons for significantly worse defense since KMart was down is because of lack of effort and attitude. It's all not because of one guy...

He's your defensive anchor, so you're going to have trouble without him in there. Fast guards get to the rim easier, and versatile bigs can have their way with Nene.

Denver needs Martin more than anyone not named Melo and Billups.