Weems Benefiting From Tight Bond With DeRozan

Sonny Weems and DeMar DeRozan have developed a very close friendship, which has involved a lot of extra time working on their games together.

"Maybe (Weems' recent success) is due to the friendship with DeMar. Maybe he's the one who's helped DeMar a little bit, I'm not sure," said Triano. "It's not mandatory for them to come back (to the gym in the evening) now, but it's habit."

Said Reggie Evans of Weems and DeRozan: "They're two little brothers. Always smiling, always arguing, always hitting each other, always together, cheering each other up. It's like the perfect relationship."

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/65713/20100401/weems_benefiting_from_tight_bond_with_derozan/

I know that most people who follow the Raptors even a little bit know that DeRozan and Weems have become really close friends, but I figured I'd post this anyways.

The thing that I like the most about both Weems and DeRozan is that both of them seem to be absolute gym rats. From everything that I have read and heard on tv during interviews, broadcasts etc... say that DeRozan and Weems are always in the gym together working on their game. It is great to see from these two because a lot of the time when people come into the league who are as athletic as these two are, they tend to try and coast by on their athleticism alone before they realize that they need to constantly be working on their game. DeRozan and Weems seem to have a great work ethic and an even greater head on their shoulders. Hopefully that doesn't change with success.

The best part of this is all is reading about how both of them are coming back to the gym in the evening to work on their games, regardless of whether or not they had a practice that morning, of even a game. Reading about how they go to the gym after playing a game some nights is absolutely awesome.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Eric Hughes deserves plenty of credit for his role in the development of these two as well. He is constantly working with the two of them and coming in at night, when he isn't required to, in order to constantly give them advice on what they are doing right, wrong and what they should be working on. He has done a great job with these two and deserves a lot of credit for the effort that he has put in to help Weems and DeRozan improve.

Edited by Built Ford Tough

I think Weems is going to be a real NBA player, he is really talented. He just makes a lot of bone headed plays at times, but he has the skills and athleticism to become a quality NBA player. This is only his 2nd NBA season so he has a long way to go, but I think he is a keeper.

He has come a long way from that chucker in the first 10 games of the year trying to prove himself.