Bogut Officially Out for Season

Sucks to lose him this late in the season as we are making a playoff push. We certainly won't be the same without him.

The Milwaukee Bucks will have to move on to the NBA playoffs without center Andrew Bogut, who suffered season-ending injuries in the team's 107-98 victory over the Phoenix Suns on Saturday night at the Bradley Center.

A source said early Sunday that Bogut suffered a dislocated right elbow, sprained wrist and broken right hand and would likely undergo surgery.

JSOnline

I don't think this loss is that big a deal. The Bucks may still squeeze past the first round. Brezec and Kurt Thomas are formidable together. I'm not sure if Coach Skiles was right in playing Bogut so much, though. Yes, the Bucks are running a tight race for the 6th or 5th seed but would their first round opponents differ that much? The Bogut loss could haunt them in the second round, though.

I don't think this loss is that big a deal. The Bucks may still squeeze past the first round. Brezec and Kurt Thomas are formidable together. I'm not sure if Coach Skiles was right in playing Bogut so much, though. Yes, the Bucks are running a tight race for the 6th or 5th seed but would their first round opponents differ that much? The Bogut loss could haunt them in the second round, though.

I disagree. I thought we'd have the chance to beat either the Hawks or the Celtics with a first round upset. But that was only with a healthy Bogut who had been playing like the second best center in the league. However, without him it'll be much more challenging. Our opponents have one less player to account for and can now put there resources in other directions (Jennings, Salmons, Delfino, etc). Sure, Kurt Thomas can produce but he's no Bogut. Not even close.

This loss is not that big a deal? :lol:

Take away 15 and 10 from your team and the 2.5+ bpg and numerous other shot changers, this team won't be the same offensively or defensively.

Defensively, the Bucks have really impressed me this season. In their hot stretch after All-Star, they easily own the best defense after the Cavs... that's why they won lots of games. The defense of perimeter shots by their guards and forwards has been outstanding, I don't know the stats but they must be among the league leaders in 3PT % allowed. On rare occasions, when their defense is penetrated, Bogut is there to correct those mistakes. Losing him would be almost similar to Magic losing Dwight defensively. This is a big blow for them.

Not to mention, on offense you can dump it down low and if you don't double, he'll score, if you double, he can pass out of it extremely well. Their three pt shooters Ilyasova, Salmons have been shooting out of their minds... they'll miss him. He can also pass to cutters etc... Offensively is their biggest loss.

Had he been healthy, I would be ready to claim they can pull a 1st round upset over Celtics... like I said, only Cavs can say they have better D in the L. Now, it's over too bad... I loved the way they've been playing.

You don't think that losing your best player isn't that big of a deal?

You don't even have to look back more than a year ago, when the Celtics lost Garnett, to show just how much of a negative impact losing your teams best player and defensive anchor can be to a team. The Celtics barley squeaked past a clearly undermatched Bulls team and then lost to the Magic in the 2nd round when they were widely considered the favourites in the East prior to Garnett's injury. This season, with a Garnett who is clearly not the same, they have went from being considered quite possibly the team to beat in the Eastern Conference to being the team who many believe are most likely to be upset out of the top 4 teams in the East.

You take Bogut out of the Bucks lineup and not only are you losing your defensive anchor, but you are losing your only legitimate post presence on offense, and quite possibly the best big man passer in the NBA. It is no coincidence that John Salmons has increased is FG% by around 4%, his eFG% by around 3% and his TS% by 4% since his arrival in Milwaukee. Playing with a post threat who is such a superb passer like Bogut opens things up for the rest of his teamamtes. Taking Bogut out and replacing him with somebody like Kurt Thomas is going to hurt the Bucks offense tremendously, and they aren't a very good offensive team to begin wtih.

Where they are going to miss Bogut the most is on the defensive end of the floor though, which isn't to say that they aren't going to miss him a great deal offensively because they will there as well. He has been one of the best shot blockers in the NBA this season and the vast improvement that the Bucks have made defensively after the All-Star break, which is when they made their surge up the standings, can be directly attributed to the play of Andrew Bogut. Bogut is averaging 3.2 blocks per game since the All-Star break, whcih doesn't take into consideration all of the shots that he alters and changes during the course of the game. He makes the Bucks defense click and replacing him with Kurt Thomas, who is a solid defensive player in his own right, is clearly going to hurt the Bucks.

If you want to look at the impact that Bogut has on the Bucks, just take a look at his numbers during the Bucks wins and compare them to the numbers that he puts up during the Bucks losses.

Numbers In Wins

17.7 ppg / 10.5 rpg / 1.9 apg / 2.7 bpg / 56.3 FG%

Numbers In Losses

13.3 ppg / 9.8 rpg / 1.8 apg / 2.7 bpg / 45.8 FG%

The blocks and assists are around the same, but every other stat shows that the Bucks need Bogut in order to win. They will need to get extremely hot and lucky in order to win a series, in which they would be an underdog in in the first place, without Bogut in their lineup. He is clearly the player who makes that team click.

PS: Did you really just say Primoz Brezeec and formidable in the same sentence? :lol:

• Like 2

The Bucks made a good run with him, and torched all expectations by reaching as high as the 5th seed. Without him, they'll probably drop a couple seeds and get swept the first round. At least they've proved what they can do, and will be back for another strong season next year.

The Bobcats and Bucks are the two teams I'm cheering on the most in the East and with this injury to Bogut, the Bucks stand no chance against anyone they face in the post season. It's tough to see his season end like that.

Get well soon Bogut.

Just had a successful surgery on his right hand...

Milwaukee Bucks General Manager John Hammond announced today that center Andrew Bogut (7-0, 260) had successful surgery this afternoon on his right hand to repair damage incurred on his fall in the second quarter of Saturday night’s game against Phoenix. The surgery was performed at the Orthopaedic Hospital of Wisconsin by Dr. Michael Gordon and Dr. Curt Crimmins. Bogut is expected to need up to six weeks to fully recover from surgery before he can fully engage in rehab.

Read more: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/65786/20100405/bogut_undergoes_successful_surgery_on_right_hand/#ixzz0kIPZZbXV