Contract unsettled for Grizzlies, Lionel Hollins

There is no deal in place for a contract extension for Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins nearly three months after the team initiated negotiations.

Instead, questions about how close they are to a contract that once seemed to be a mere formality persist as the Grizzlies are set to roll out a campaign soliciting Coach of the Year votes for Hollins.

Is there trouble in paradise as the Griz gun for their 40th victory today at Orlando?

The Griz haven't at all considered other options despite sudden outside interest in the job.

It still is considered more than likely that an agreement will be reached before the regular season ends April 14. It is clear, though, that one of the main hurdles has to do with total compensation on a three-year deal.

Hollins and the Griz are said to still be exchanging proposals.

"We want Lionel to be our coach and, as far as I know, Lionel wants to be here," Griz owner Michael Heisley said. "Anything else is not true. But I'm not going to negotiate in the press."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/apr/04/contract-unsettled-for-griz-hollins/

Edited by Sublime

I like Hollins and I love what he has done this year, but I think he's better suited as an assistant. He's a player's coach, much like Mike Woodson. He has his flaws as a bench coach. I would try one last time to get Avery Johnson.

I like Hollins and I love what he has done this year, but I think he's better suited as an assistant. He's a player's coach, much like Mike Woodson. He has his flaws as a bench coach. I would try one last time to get Avery Johnson.

That's the exact same way I feel about Spoelstra except I wish the Heat would go out and get Byron Scott.