The LeBron Rules

Lkr

What if a tough team like the Celtics were able to implement 'The Jordan Rules' successfully in the playoffs on LeBron? Do you think it could be done in today's game? LeBron isn't a terrific free throw shooter nor a fantastic jump shooter, and it could hinder his team's playoff success.

Edited by Lkr

What exactly are 'the LeBron Rules'

like the 'The Jordan Rules', as he explained at the beginning. Double or even triple-team LeBron everytime he touches the ball. But, no I dont think this is a good idea. Pass it to Shaq, back down on a smaller defender on the switch. Pass it to Z, can hit a mid-range jumer. To Mo? 3.

like the 'The Jordan Rules', as he explained at the beginning. Double or even triple-team LeBron everytime he touches the ball. But, no I dont think this is a good idea. Pass it to Shaq, back down on a smaller defender on the switch. Pass it to Z, can hit a mid-range jumer. To Mo? 3.

you don't even have to double as long as someone is willing to be physical right along with him, and force him to the ground

We've seen him dominate a good defensive team like the Lakers so you can't say there's a solution.

Dwight Howard keeps him shooting jumpers somewhat because he's so physical. But other than that, not many others, even if they are physical, can stop him. Such as Artest.

We've seen him dominate a good defensive team like the Lakers so you can't say there's a solution.

Dwight Howard keeps him shooting jumpers somewhat because he's so physical. But other than that, not many others, even if they are physical, can stop him. Such as Artest.

The Lakers aren't physical though(we have Gasol playing center). If KG/Pierce have the balls to hit him and tell him he's not going to the rim, then that series could be very entertaining

Doubling or tripling LeBron is a fail idea with all the shooters are his disposal, his court vision is as good as anyone's and he will find the open shooter before the double even affects him.

Be physical with him? Who is going to be physical with him? LeBron is arguably the strongest pound for pound player in the league, not to mention after the first quarter the calls will be going his way once he whines to the ref. If you mean not giving him any easy buckets, well I might argue that he can finish through contact better than anyone.

The best way you can play LeBron is sag off and hope he launches 3's and misses them.

Also who is to say if you hit LeBron he won't hit you back? LeBron can flatten anyone in the league with a dunk today if he wanted. The only person who can stop him, is himself, by taking jumpers over and over.

Besides the Cavaliers have enough guys who will step in if LeBron is getting roughed up, I think times have passed and the way the game is officiated nothing like this can or will happen. Also LeBron's FT shooting is not a liability, you can't 'hack-a-shaq' him if that is what you are suggesting, he gets to the line as much as anyone already and shoots like 80%.

Why is everyone acting like the Celtics are automatically getting into the second round?

I'm using them as an example because they are the only team right now that I see fitting as a 'physical, tough' team. a team like the celtics is what I said.

Edited by Lkr

• Owner

The Jordan Rules were not based solely on double and triple teams. The Pistons developed them as a way of throwing 4-5 different defensive players at Jordan at different points of the game, and playing extra physical with him without considering foul trouble. Those "rules" would also include doubling Michael if less shooters were on the floor, because back in the 80's and 90's, you had to fully commit to the double team. There was no zone.

Cleveland has Mo, Delonte, Gibson, Jawad, Big Z, Parker, Moon, and even Jamison who can knock down long-range shots. It would be a bad idea.

I'm using them as an example because they are the only team right now that I see fitting as a 'physical, tough' team. a team like the celtics is what I said.

A physical defensive team like the Knicks?

Poor guy would be in for a long night if Al Harrington weren't out for the year. Between Al, D-Lee, Danilo... throw a healthy Eddy Curry in there and you have one of the strongest defensive big corps in the league. DEFENSIVE PROWESS.

Yeah he has too many shooters. It seems as if the Cavs have about 20 players on that team. They have so many players to come in and spread the defense. And no one wants him to do them what he did to the Pistons.

Yeah he has too many shooters. It seems as if the Cavs have about 20 players on that team. They have so many players to come in and spread the defense. And no one wants him to do them what he did to the Pistons.

Im still scratching my head at who the hell they actually traded to get Jamison.

A physical defensive team like the Knicks?

Poor guy would be in for a long night if Al Harrington weren't out for the year. Between Al, D-Lee, Danilo... throw a healthy Eddy Curry in there and you have one of the strongest defensive big corps in the league. DEFENSIVE PROWESS.

If a healthy Eddy Curry is too lazy to grab rebounds, what makes you think he would defend LeBron.

Cleveland has too many weapons to impose an effective triple-team on Lebron. He isn't a great passer, but he is adequate enough to to be able to get the ball to 2 open teammates. The only way that would be effective is if Lebron turned into a greedy [expletive] and tried to prove something by taking on the doube or triple team. Cleveland has the shooters and bigs to make any team who tries that pay dearly.

You're just simply not going to be able to be physical in the National Freethrow-shooting Association of 2010. You'll run out of players in the first quarter. The NBA does not give a damned about integrity or basketball, all it cares about is money and making lots of it. Great defensive battles don't make money; Lebron James scoring 40 points, weather it be going 20/40 from the free throw line or layups and dunks, does make a lot of money. Anyone foolish enough to employ this strategy will likely see their team get blownout and swept in 4 consectuvite 40 point losses and their coach fired the next day.

Cleveland has too many weapons to impose an effective triple-team on Lebron. He isn't a great passer, but he is adequate enough to to be able to get the ball to 2 open teammates. The only way that would be effective is if Lebron turned into a greedy [expletive] and tried to prove something by taking on the doube or triple team. Cleveland has the shooters and bigs to make any team who tries that pay dearly.

You're just simply not going to be able to be physical in the National Freethrow-shooting Association of 2010. You'll run out of players in the first quarter. The NBA does not give a damned about integrity or basketball, all it cares about is money and making lots of it. Great defensive battles don't make money; Lebron James scoring 40 points, weather it be going 20/40 from the free throw line or layups and dunks, does make a lot of money. Anyone foolish enough to employ this strategy will likely see their team get blownout and swept in 4 consectuvite 40 point losses and their coach fired the next day.

Like the Pistons last year lol

Granted they were just no match for Cleveland but that's just how it's going to be. LeBron, Wade, etc. will continue to benefit from this foul-fest. They'd be stoopid not to try and exploit it if it will get them to the top.

• 1 month later...

Why is everyone acting like the Celtics are automatically getting into the second round?

I don't know, surely the Heat are a superior team

Doubling or tripling LeBron is a fail idea with all the shooters are his disposal, his court vision is as good as anyone's and he will find the open shooter before the double even affects him.

Be physical with him? Who is going to be physical with him? LeBron is arguably the strongest pound for pound player in the league, not to mention after the first quarter the calls will be going his way once he whines to the ref. If you mean not giving him any easy buckets, well I might argue that he can finish through contact better than anyone.

The best way you can play LeBron is sag off and hope he launches 3's and misses them.

Also who is to say if you hit LeBron he won't hit you back? LeBron can flatten anyone in the league with a dunk today if he wanted. The only person who can stop him, is himself, by taking jumpers over and over.

Besides the Cavaliers have enough guys who will step in if LeBron is getting roughed up, I think times have passed and the way the game is officiated nothing like this can or will happen. Also LeBron's FT shooting is not a liability, you can't 'hack-a-shaq' him if that is what you are suggesting, he gets to the line as much as anyone already and shoots like 80%.

The Cavs sure had enough help with shooters

This man will have something to say about it

http://i.timeinc.net/time/photoessays/2008/david_stern/david_stern_01.jpg

That is why we have Kobe vs LeBron in The Finals. Again.

In that case no, you don't guard LeBron like Steph Curry in college basketball it is a bad idea. Maybe you can consider a zone and hope Mo sucks [expletive] again but that's about it.

I think Mo and LeBron did pretty bad against the C's defense

No one showed up

Mhm, agreed

I don't know, surely the Heat are a superior team

Don't act tough by talking after it's over. I don't think too many people predicted the Celtics to be this good after playing .500 basketball during the second half of their season.

That is why we have Kobe vs LeBron in The Finals. Again.

Naa. This is just part of Stern's plan to put LeBron in NY ;)

• Like 1

Don't act tough by talking after it's over. I don't think too many people predicted the Celtics to be this good after playing .500 basketball during the second half of their season.

Naa. This is just part of Stern's plan to put LeBron in NY ;)

I was actually just being a smart [expletive]. I forgot about this thread until the 4th quarter last night and said to myself, oh [expletive], I need to bump it lol. Although I think I did kinda call the Celtics turning it on in the post season though :P