Rockets next year

Yao will be back, we'll have a late lottery pick (very likely) and we'll probably try and sign a big man.

Our depth chart should look like this next year.

PG-Aaron Brooks/Kyle Lowry/

SG-Kevin Martin/Chase Budinger/Jermaine Taylor

SF-Trevor Ariza/Shane Battier/

PF-Luis Scola/Jordan Hill/Chuck Hayes/Jared Jeffries

C-Yao Ming/Andersen/

Thats without signing anyone and a draft pick, personally I dont know who we will draft, Morey has always made surprises when it comes to the draft, when I expect a big man, he finds us a PG, (Brooks being drafted 26th), we just need that 3rd center so incase Yao gets injured, we have good backups.

Thoughts?

Right there with Denver/Dallas on paper and right below the Lakers. Can Kevin Martin be the 2nd best player on a championship team? Can Brooks run the point on a championship team? Can Yao stay healthy? is their bench good enough? There are too many things up in the air right now, to me at least, as to whether or not this team can contend. They do have a lot of talent though in their starting 5.

A fully healthy Yao definitely makes this a 50-55 win team though IMO, the Lakers are still better and the Mavs/Nuggs are right there, of course this is all speculative since we haven't seen them with Yao. But Ariza and Martin are good spot up shooters, and should compliment Yao's game perfectly.

• Owner

Ariza was an amazing defensive player in the first half of the season, but he sure slowed down in the second half.

I think Yao will help with that, though, taking the load off offensively...but that remains to be seen.

I think Houston should look into Ariza becoming that spot-up shooter again, and nothing more. Put the ball in Brooks' hands, use Martin slashing to the rim, Yao in the post, Ariza at the three, Scola in the post, and you'll have a pretty dangerous team that can score inside and out.

Defensively, it's too bad you don't have a younger Battier. I think Houston will see how important he really was, even with Ariza sort of taking his place and defending the best on the floor.

Ariza was an amazing defensive player in the first half of the season, but he sure slowed down in the second half.

I think Yao will help with that, though, taking the load off offensively...but that remains to be seen.

I think Houston should look into Ariza becoming that spot-up shooter again, and nothing more. Put the ball in Brooks' hands, use Martin slashing to the rim, Yao in the post, Ariza at the three, Scola in the post, and you'll have a pretty dangerous team that can score inside and out.

Defensively, it's too bad you don't have a younger Battier. I think Houston will see how important he really was, even with Ariza sort of taking his place and defending the best on the floor.

Funny you say that, tonight he was GREAT defensively, Gerald Wallace couldnt do anything

Ariza likely will become a spot up shooter, but also a play-maker, tonight he had 8 assists.

I'd be shocked if they don't draft a big, especially since it's so deep this year. I haven't watched any Rockets game this year, how good is Brooks defensively?

We will just say he aint the worst, big guard give him problems but smaller guys dont do much.

• Owner

Ariza did well, but his defense has dropped off from where it was in November and December, both by the numbers and visibly. Defensive spurts are expected, especially against Wallace, who he really shouldn't have a problem defending.

If Houston had made the playoffs, and you stuck Ariza on Melo, I think Anthony would light him up for 30+ every game. He had his way with him last post-season, even with Ariza having the limited role. Back in December, Ariza and Battier did a good job defending Melo, but just last month, it was Anthony who just killed Trevor.

November to March is a tough stretch to play second option basketball. Ariza isn't an all-star caliber player on offense, so it'll tear into his overall game eventually.

Kevin Martin will help a bit, but getting Yao back will give Ariza tons of open shots.

Ariza did well, but his defense has dropped off from where it was in November and December, both by the numbers and visibly. Defensive spurts are expected, especially against Wallace, who he really shouldn't have a problem defending.

If Houston had made the playoffs, and you stuck Ariza on Melo, I think Anthony would light him up for 30+ every game. He had his way with him last post-season, even with Ariza having the limited role. Back in December, Ariza and Battier did a good job defending Melo, but just last month, it was Anthony who just killed Trevor.

November to March is a tough stretch to play second option basketball. Ariza isn't an all-star caliber player on offense, so it'll tear into his overall game eventually.

Kevin Martin will help a bit, but getting Yao back will give Ariza tons of open shots.

Having Yao out there is super valuable alone, the offense will definitely benefit, more open shots as you said, but the defense will benefit the most, why? Guard/Forwards wont drive in for easy buckets anymore, opposing centers (like Dwight Horward) wont have amazing games vs us.

• Owner

Yao has actually improved over the last 2-3 years, defensively. I'd be worried about his help defense, though, and maybe even his one-on-one post defense, because while he may be healthy enough to play, that doesn't mean that foot will support his weight AND the weight of another player.

If centers didn't use their legs and feet so much, it would be different...but having guys posting up on them every single possession, it's a big deal. Shaq would have to drain his hamstrings every few days when he was playing after "healing" from an injury, and that went on for a while. Bynum has to wear braces on his knees. Ilgauskas was lucky to continue his career after he got pins in his ankle.

Yao may need to lose a little weight. He's put on more muscle, but some of that weight might need to come off for about a year.

Yao has actually improved over the last 2-3 years, defensively. I'd be worried about his help defense, though, and maybe even his one-on-one post defense, because while he may be healthy enough to play, that doesn't mean that foot will support his weight AND the weight of another player.

If centers didn't use their legs and feet so much, it would be different...but having guys posting up on them every single possession, it's a big deal. Shaq would have to drain his hamstrings every few days when he was playing after "healing" from an injury, and that went on for a while. Bynum has to wear braces on his knees. Ilgauskas was lucky to continue his career after he got pins in his ankle.

Yao may need to lose a little weight. He's put on more muscle, but some of that weight might need to come off for about a year.

Funny you mention that, Yao even mentioned that he was going to lose some weight so he could support less weight.

• Owner

Funny you mention that, Yao even mentioned that he was going to lose some weight so he could support less weight.

Happens to most centers at some point in their careers, and even non-centers (Ron Artest comes to mind, this season, with his plantar fasciitis, and Kobe also lost weight a couple of years ago).