Doc Rivers done in Boston?

Flash

Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers is leaning toward leaving the team after this season, sources told the Boston Herald, but he told the newspaper Tuesday that no final decision had been made about his future.

http://sports.espn.go.com/photo/2010/0409/nba_u_rivers11_65.jpg Rivers There had been rumors in seasons past about the 48-year-old Rivers stepping down, and once again it's the tug of his family life -- not another NBA coaching opportunity -- that may pull him away.

His son Jeremiah will be a senior on the Indiana basketball team this fall. His daughter, Callie, will enter her final season as a volleyball star at Florida. And son Austin, an elite basketball prospect, will be entering his senior year in high school.

"Part of it is true," Rivers told the Herald. "Every year I sit down in the middle of the summer and I have a family discussion. We talk about what we want to do. That's nothing new, but every year it gets stronger and stronger. And I think people are making some common-sense reads. I've got three seniors next year, two in college and one in high school. That's important to me. We're all family men. We all have kids.

"Every year you've got to weigh what's best for your kids. That's just the way it is. But, I don't get into it now. I don't talk about it. I've never told anyone one way or the other, and that's how it's always been."

Rivers has one year remaining on his contract and said he told general manager Danny Ainge he didn't want to discuss a possible extension.

ESPN Boston

Probably the best time to step down. Not only because of the family matters, but also because the Celtics are on the decline anyway with Pierce, Garnett, and Allen all getting older. Plus I'm sure he wants to see his kids' senior seasons.

I think he'll stay another year or two. If he truly does leave though that could signal the end of this big three project, it got us a championship and it worked, and all of the players respect Doc Rivers. So if he leaves everything falls apart, especially with our vets declining.