Should I buy a Macbook?

Vinyard

Yes, you should. Mac haters simply don't understand Macs... and I'm a PC guy saying this.

You can install OS X on generic hardware these days, overpaying for the same hardware with an Apple logo on it is ridiculous

Had one for 2 and a half years and have never had one problem. No virus' or anything that would slow down the performance at all. I'd recommend it to anyone.

I don't get viruses either. I went on a suspect site once and AVG automatically terminated my connection to said website and nothing resulted. Even scanned my computer to make sure and still nothing. Best part? AVG is free and it doesn't even effect performance in games, so you know it doesn't effect performance using day to day applications.

I don't get viruses either. I went on a suspect site once and AVG automatically terminated my connection to said website and nothing resulted. Even scanned my computer to make sure and still nothing. Best part? AVG is free and it doesn't even effect performance in games, so you know it doesn't effect performance using day to day applications.

Well, if you want the computer for games then PC is the way to go, there's no denying that.

Depends on what you plan on doing with your computer. If you don't play any computer games and just simply browse the internet then I'd go with the Macbook considering you have the money. I know if I had that much money I'd probably buy a computer that would do just what I need and save the rest.

I made it pretty clear what I need the laptop for.

No gaming, so I don't need a super laptop.

Then it's your choice. I don't see how the Macbook is so special aside from having the apple logo on it like lkr said haha.

What kind of laptop would you recommend?

I haven't seen what is new out there for PC or Mac so I have no idea. If I were you I'd go to like Best Buy or wherever you plan on buying your laptop and look around just so you can see all your options.

I used to be in your boat... not getting viruses.. then my PC [expletive]ed up.

Ya I have one, really reliable laptop for school. Buy a PC if you wanna run the risk of having problems at college.

Risk of having problems? At least with a PC he doesn't have to worry about incompatibility and working versions of Flash and Shockwave

just because you have the money for a macbook doesnt mean you should just go and spend it

if you arent using it for much besides web browsing and homework then why not just get a much cheaper PC and have extra spending money for college. get a nice TV or xbox for your dorm with the extra money

Same here, I think it's funny how people say Macs don't do anything. Only thing they don't do is run games lmao, I have everything needed for a casual internet user and programs to do college assignments.

Macs can't run 3dsmax, so your point is invalid. Plenty of students need 3dsmax