NHL back to ESPN/ABC?

Phightins

Five years after a labor dispute put the kibosh on the 2004-05 National Hockey League season, the sport is enjoying a resurgence, as ratings and advertising revenue are showing signs of growth. The improvement couldn’t come at a better time for the league, which is expected to start negotiations on its new television rights contract later this year.

The uptick in hockey comes at a crucial time for the current rights holders. With Versus and NBC contracts set to expire in 2011, John Skipper, evp of content at ESPN, has indicated he’d like hockey to return to ESPN and ABC.

Jamie Davis, president of Versus, aims to hold on to the asset. “We took over the telecasts in 2005, the year after the lockout, and together with the NHL, as true partners, we have worked to bring the viewers back,” Davis said.

At least one media buyer is rooting for Versus. “If the NHL goes back to ESPN, it is going to get lost on a network that shows so many different sports,” said one national TV buyer. “On Versus, it stands out.”

The buyer added that the completion of the proposed Comcast-NBC deal would make a joint NBC/Versus hockey buy just as potent as an ABC/ESPN buy.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/content_display/news/cable-tv/e3ieae2fa145a05b6f7f039aa91bab73b7c?pn=2

I think it would be great to get the NHL back to a real network.

PLEASE get hockey on espn/abc. it would be absolutely huge for the sport in every possible way.

At least one media buyer is rooting for Versus. “If the NHL goes back to ESPN, it is going to get lost on a network that shows so many different sports,” said one national TV buyer. “On Versus, it stands out.”

that is honestly one the dumbest things i have ever heard. if a show "stands out" then that just means that the channel doesnt have anything else good

the bottom line is that if hockey is on versus then only people who turn on their TV to watch hockey will see the game. if it is on espn then you will get those original people plus every other sports fan who is just flipping through channels. no one checks to see what is on versus, every sports fan checks what is showing on ESPN.

I see why it would help the sport, but BSPN wouldn't give it good coverage anyway

Well, the Versus coverage is terrible too. Even if it is covered poorly on ESPN, the NHL will have the benefit of advertising on a channel that people actually watch, which is the main thing that is missing now.

Edited by Phightins

Well, the Versus coverage is terrible too. Even if it is covered poorly on ESPN, the NHL will have the benefit of advertising on a channel that people actually watch, which is the main thing that is missing now.

very true. it cant be much worse the versus. its worth it

• 3 weeks later...

You'd rather watch SportsCenter and listen to them talk about LBJ for a half hour, Brett Favre's ankle for 15, and 30 second highlight clips for 7 minutes?

Yes, I could care less about what 12 college women, who will never amount to anything professionally, do on a basketball court for 2 hours.

Yes, I could care less about what 12 college women, who will never amount to anything professionally, do on a basketball court for 2 hours.

At least they aren't making videos of themselves playing Call of Duty and uploading them onto the internet

• Like 1

As iff women's basketball isn't bad enough, I'd be pissed if hockey was on ESPN. Not saying it shouldn't be on there, but I'd just rather see SportsCenter.

and there is a reason why you know nothing about sports. there is a difference between following a sport and respecting a sport. i hate some sports but i will respect them. i cant stand people who just hate though. i have never heard of anyone who actually took time to watch a hockey game who didnt love the sport. if you cant even respect it then you clearly have never even given it a shot

• 2 weeks later...

The NHL playoffs are way more marketable and exciting than the NBA playoffs, it is a shame no one even knows how awesome the playoffs have been this year because no one can even see the games.

+1 this so much

I used to love ESPN Wednesday Night Hockey, and I really hope that ESPN gets the rights to air NHL games.

I also understand why some people feel that it's better on versus because it would "stand out", but ESPN would give it respect if they actually had the NHL back.

Also, I like the NBA playoffs, but being as bipartisan as possible, the NHL playoffs are BY FAR the best in sports, and #8 seeds are actually upset, and there isn't a near predictable final most of the time.

The NHL needs to go to ESPN but they need to find a way to market the players and their teams. Ovechkin/Crosby and those guys are the best and most exciting players in the league, but the problem, as opposed to the NBA, is that he is only on the ice 1/3 of the game as opposed to Kobe/LeBron/other stars who are on for like 90% of the game in the NBA.

They need to find a way to appeal to the ESPN audience, show the big hits, the fights, the awesome saves and then show the excitement of guys who aren't just first liners, and what they bring to the game, the hits and [expletive] like that. People don't know what to enjoy about hockey besides the goals, casual fans don't realize a 1-0 or 2-1 game can be more exciting than a game that is 7-6.

The NHL is an awesome league where every team actually has a chance, as opposed to a star dominated sport of the NBA where the same teams have an actual championship shot year in year out, it just sucks that the NHL is hardly recognized as a national sport, when it is actually pretty awesome, new teams dominate each year and every team has a crack at the title once the playoffs start.

Well, I wouldn't say the NHL playoffs are "more marketable" than the NBA playoffs because in this country there are way more NBA fans and their postseason will always have higher ratings regardless. However, I agree that the NHL postseason is by far the best in sports, and I think most people who are fans of both the NBA and NHL agree.