Tyreke Evans wins Rookie of the Year award

Tyreke Evans will be named the NBA's 2009-10 Rookie of the Year later this week, Sactown Royalty has learned.

The announcement is expected Thursday or Friday. The Kings nor the NBA have announced Evans's victory, and the team has not yet alerted the media of a press conference later this week.

Evans, of course, became the first rookie since LeBron James to average 20 points, five rebounds and five assists. He was a major factor in the Kings improved from 17 wins in 2008-09 to 25 wins this season. He started every game he played, and lead all rookies in points per game (20.1), minutes per game (37.2) and Win Shares (5.4). He finished second in assists per game (5.8, behind Stephen Curry's 5.9), fifth in rebounds per game (5.3, behind big men Taj Gibson, DeJuan Blair, Jonas Jerebko and Serge Ibaka), second in steals per game (1.5, behind Curry) and second in PER (18.2, behind Rodrigue Beaubois's 18.5).

Evans led the entire NBA in average shot attempts at the rim with 8.4 per game. He tied LeBron James for the league lead in average makes at the rim per game with 5.0.

Evans had been challenged for the R.O.Y. crown by Curry, Golden State's star point guard, and Brandon Jennings of Milwaukee. Curry hit unprecedented shooting marks in his first season, and finished in the NBA top 10 in both three-point makes and three-point percentage. Jennings scored 55 points in a November game against the Warriors, and started all season for the East's No. 6 seed. His shooting percentage tanked as the season wore on, however, and coach Scott Skiles frequently gave him a quick hook in favor of veteran Luke Ridnour.

The award is voted on by 123 members of the media, including newspaper beat writers and columnists, play-by-play announcers and some radio and web personnel.

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2010/4/27/1446682/breaking-tyreke-evans-to-be-named

It is a damn shame that Steph Curry didnt win the award. Hes easily the best rookie.

The best rookie won the award. What excuse does Curry have for not winning it? He was a standout on a bad team just like Tyreke, but Tyreke was just a better and more impacting player.

The best rookie won the award. What excuse does Curry have for not winning it? He was a standout on a bad team just like Tyreke, but Tyreke was just a better and more impacting player.

QFT. Though, I would have liked to see Jennings win it as he helped the Bucks get to the 6th seed in the East. The duo of Bogut and Jennings is going to be fun to watch, then you add in players like Salmons and hopefully a healthy Michael Redd...Very nice.

Congrats to Tyreke though. 20-5-5 is damn impressive for a rookie.

• Owner

Yeah, no chance for Jennings. Maybe when he dropped 50+ on Golden State, but he hit rock-bottom so fast, it threw him out of the race.

It was between Evans and Curry, and Tyreke deserved the award. Not very many rookies average 20 PPG, 5 RPG and 6 APG on 46% FG. That's pretty amazing, even on a bad team.

Jenning's 55 point game clouded everyone's view of him. His shooting percentage was horrid ever since that one game and isn't exactly a guy who makes his teammates better. Sure they made the playoffs, but is he the sole reason for that? Not in my opinion. He was playing like a bad version of Gilbert Arenas.

Edited by Bulletproof

• Owner

Jenning's 55 point game clouded everyone's view of him. His shooting percentage was horrid ever since that one game and isn't exactly a guy who makes his teammates better. Sure they made the playoffs, but is he the sole reason for that? Not in my opinion. He was playing like a bad version of Gilbert Arenas.

Well, the 55-point game did boost his value, probably to the top of the rookie list...but he just fell from that point. I was waiting for him to do it again, to shoot over 43% (which is very kind of me to give him that cushion), and he didn't do it.

If my team could draft Tyreke or Curry... I'd draft Curry without hesitation.

20-5-5 is impressive, but it's individual. Curry's game is about making his teammates, his team, and lastly himself better. He can shoot the lights out, he can pass, he can run a team better than most true PGs in the L.

Everything about Tyreke is himself... maybe after he learns "playing as a team" in his second year, will I reconsider this... but Curry's shooting is what sets him apart. In just his rookie season, kid can shoot it like from 30 feet, easily his range... such a quick release... he'll be a great player in this L.

Before the season, I predicted:

- Kevin Durant would win scoring title this year

- Danilo Gallinari would not be a bust, he'd be a star, possibly a franchise player if LeBron doesn't come

I'll predict Curry would have a red-hot soph year... 22 ppg, 8 apg, 4 rpg, and Nash shooting percentages (50 FG%, 90 FT%, 40 3PT%)... he'll be a monster. What a Golden pick for the Warriors. The question remains though, can he make the franchise a winner? He's also more exciting to watch than Tyreke imo.