Why Does Joey Crawford Have a Job?

i just want to talk about the T's on Duncan. While Crawford may have felt Duncan was trying to one up him, by T'ing up Duncan, he allowed the Mavs to close the gap in that game, along with getting Duncan thrown out with a near tie game and the final quarter still left to be played.

for laughing

Now I see Eric is clearly trying to defend the ref, but the thing is no one cares if you're a good ref, you are trained to be a good ref.

Its when theres calls like these that get a refs name out, usually

Now it seems the arguement is becoming bad ref over bad calls, and you know what, all of those videos were bad calls, i really can't imagine defending any of them.

But Crawford is clearly a good ref, he wouldnt have been around this long or in so many big games if he wasnt.

Actually, it has been determined that you can only catch and shoot at 0.4. Everything 0.3 cannot be. He [expletive]ed up.

Clip 2 is the right call in the sense that it's a foul...but Crawford was probably the only person in the building and the only person watching who might be thinking that. It was a terrible call.

Clip 1, just because he's clumsy, he calls a foul on Billups?

Goodness, I'm being countered by incorrect rules:

The Rule

The Official Rules of the National Basketball Association state:

"NO LESS THAN :00.3 must expire on the game clock when a player secures possession of an inbounds pass and then attempts a field goal. If less than :00.3 expires in such a situation, the timer will be instructed to deduct AT LEAST :00.3 from the game clock. If less than :00.3 remain on the game clock when this situation occurs, the period is over, and the field goal attempt will be disallowed immediately whether successful or unsuccessful."

So clip 3, you're categorically wrong.

Clip 2, does anyone have a better resolution to that video, or the circumstances? K-Mart himself has always been known to be volatile, that also is taken into account with the call. Most people with knowledge of how K-Mart plays wouldn't be shocked if he took a dirty shot at someone.

Clip 1, For some reason, I can't view Youtube at my school computer, but do you really think Crawford called a foul on Billups because Crawford pushed Jones, or did Crawford call a reach in foul on Billups before the push?

You're not being logical. I'm pretty sure that a crazy technical on Duncan does concern the game itself. Loss of a star player and all that? And nobody cares about the hit. The issue is that he called the foul on Billups when it was Crawford who tackled the guy. That also deals with the game itself.

And your criteria for an NBA ref is that he do a better job than me?

Again, did Crawford call the foul because he tackled Jones, or did he call a foul on Billups for reaching in before Crawford collided with Jones? He's not calling a foul simply because he ran into Damon Jones.

Huh? That's a MAJOR contradiction. Technicals directly affect the outcome of a game because not only does it lead to points on the board for an opposing team, but as another member mentioned it can lead to a key player being thrown out of the game. Everyone is human and everyone has the right to have a temper if they desire, but if you're an NBA referee that is being paid good money to officiate a part of a multi-million dollar business, you have to check that temper at the door before entering the arena.

And as for your excuses...errr, insight...on the Nash call and the Billups foul, both can be called as inadvertant whistles, especially the Billups one where Joey Crawford himself managed to commit the foul. Both calls seemed like Crawford and his huge ego didn't want to admit he made a mistake.

As Reggie Miller was saying last night during the Cavs/Bulls game when Varejao fouled Dang after the shot-clock expired, the whole point of officiating is to get the game right. Refs are prone to mistakes, but as you have acknowledged, Crawford's anger is a big problem. Officiating mistakes shouldn't go beyond honest mistakes stemming from a referee missing something with his bare eye in the heat of a game. Crawford's issues are something he can resolve himself and many times they go beyond honest mistakes (which he has PLENTY of as well).

So you're evaluating a referee based on not calling technical fouls? Of the three techs in the clips, the Duncan situation was obviously an embarrassing situation, Perkins probably cursed or said something that Crawford took offense too, and he felt that K-Mart made a dirty move on Varejao. The Duncan incident happened a few years ago, yet it's the only thing people associate him with, and every other mistake he makes is simply piling on.

Refs do have a right to not let players show them up.

Does Crawford get the calls right between the court, that Reggie Miller says is the most important part of officiating? Yeah, for the most part he actually does.

And what excuses am I making on the Nash call? I said it was clearly a horrendous call.

• Owner

Just for future reference, the catch-and-shoot rule is 0.4 to catch it, land and shoot. If the ball is inbounded at 0.3 on the clock, it has to be a tip-in. Anything less than that is disregarded as an attempt.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see your argument. Crawford (and Salvatore) are easily the worst referees in the NBA, in my opinion. They've [expletive]ed up so many calls throughout the years that I can't believe Stern still keeps them on as part of the refereeing crew.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see your argument. Crawford (and Salvatore) are easily the worst referees in the NBA, in my opinion. They've [expletive]ed up so many calls throughout the years that I can't believe Stern still keeps them on as part of the refereeing crew.

Ya Salvatore, dude screwed the Rockets so bad in the 04-05 series.

All abnormal stuff is posted on youtube, since normal things aren't interesting and won't be posted on the internet. Refs making bad calls is abnormal, so those are the only ones you'll find on youtube. Showing clips of all the calls that happened to be bad aren't proof that a ref himself is bad, it just proves that he has made mistakes before. All refs are human, so they are bound by nature to make mistakes. Joey Crawford just happened to make some really bad ones.

I'm sure I could make a video showing all the air balls Kobe Bryant has shot throughout his career to "prove" that he is a bad player, when the fact is he shoots a high percentage. If you want to prove that Crawford is a actually a bad ref, you need to show more proof than a few clips throughout his career. You need to post some statistics that prove that he actually gets less correct calls than the average NBA ref, or give some video proof that show all the calls he made in a particular game, or something of the sort.

Anyway, I personally think there needs to be a solution, and it has nothing to do with finding new refs. Again a ref, no matter how good he is, will make mistakes from time to time. I believe the NBA should try to limit mistakes as much as possible, to the point where every call is right. I'm tired of seeing players, coaches, and fans constantly reacting to ref calls during games. I wish reffing was no longer a factor in games, but it is.

What I think needs to be done is that we need to understand that human referees aren't going to get every call right, so as a solution to insure that calls are correct as often as possible, I think we need to use technology more. Obviously, videos are the best source to be able to tell of a call that is made is correct or not, so why aren't they used more? I can understand if we don't want to hurt the flow of the game if refs take time outs to look at calls, but I'm sure there are ways around it. Perhaps add more cameras on the court, and have some refs observe in a video room. The refs on the court would wear ear pieces, and the refs from the room will buzz the court refs whenever a call needs to be made. Perhaps calls may be delayed slightly, but at least they'll be correct, and you'll see much less complaining because everyone will know that it is the correct call.

Also, the best way to reduce complaining about refs is to improve the reffing in the NBA, like by adding the idea I mentioned about. Fining people for their opinions about refs isn't going to help anything.

I don't think Joey is a bad referee in all senses. He's good at making difficult calls. I'd say he's one of the best. He'll make mistakes just like anyone else but I'd say he gets the majority correct. That's all you can ask for.

His temper is well documented, but it's something you have to live with sometimes. I think Stern needs to reign in that part of his officiating, but everything else is above par.

Since I've refereed for 4 years of my life I know what it takes to do it. For the most part he gets the job done.