Williams: I'm The Best Point Guard In The League

The Regime

Deron Williams of the Utah Jazz said he is the league's best point guard during shootaround prior to Game 5 with the Denver Nuggets.

"I think I'm the best point guard in the league," said Williams. "I thought I was the best point guard in the league for awhile."

Williams has led an undermanned Jazz team to a 3-1 series lead, averaging 26.8 points per game along with 12 assists per game.

When asked who the second best point guard in the league is, Williams answered "Chris Paul."

"But he probably thinks he's the best," he said. "And you can argue for Steve Nash, what he's doing at this age, is crazy."

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/66246/20100428/williams_im_the_best_point_guard_in_the_league/

Deron is the best going right now. It's extremely evident when Deron can drop one of the better defenders @ PG in Chauncey Billups off for 33pts and 14 dimes- on the road- in the playoffs. And then Deron's pushing Melo out of the post and holding his ground against Melo defensively... drawing frustration/offensive fouls on Melo and such. Deron's game is tremendous... he's invisible right now to the rest of the league's PG's... they cannot see him.

When healthy Paul scores at a higher rate, scores more efficiently, gets assists at a higher rate, gets to the free throw line more, hits a higher percentage of free throws, turns the ball over less and is even a better rebounder so I would go with Paul.

• Like 2

When healthy Paul scores at a higher rate, scores more efficiently, gets assists at a higher rate, gets to the free throw line more, hits a higher percentage of free throws, turns the ball over less and is even a better rebounder so I would go with Paul.

And Paul can take over games better than any of them.

I would also take a healthy Paul, but you wouldn't be wrong in saying Deron's better. It's a toss-up.

It is kind of crazy how an injury makes you forget how amazing someone is.... CP3 was a top 5 player before this season for most people, probably.

Reminds me a lot of how people forgot how great Wade was when he went down 2 years ago.

I said Williams was better back then too. Also, I never forgot about Wade. I always have seen him as a top 3 player in the league. :P

• Owner

Bron's a better pg. LeBron and then Wade for best pg.

LeBron doesn't play PG. He's a point-forward. If he played the point every game, all season, he'd get lit up, and his help defense would suffer more than anything else, because he wouldn't be able to leave his man at all, for any reason.

Of course, everything has to go back to Lebron with you.

Paul is the best PG still when healthy but Williams is definitely a very close 2nd.

I rarely brag about LeBron. I just sit back and watch people post [expletive] about him on the site a lot.

Seriously though, when he plays point guard, he's a beast. Great vision.

You saw what he did when he played PG? When we had no Mo or Delonte?

That's right, he had double digits in assists during that period and we won 13 in a row.

• Owner

I rarely brag about LeBron. I just sit back and watch people post [expletive] about him on the site a lot.

Seriously though, when he plays point guard, he's a beast. Great vision.

You saw what he did when he played PG? When we had no Mo or Delonte?

That's right, he had double digits in assists during that period and we won 13 in a row.

Bringing the ball up is not playing the point. Gibson was the point guard, Parker at the two, LeBron at the three. He just facilitated the offense a little more, but it was Gibson defending the opposing points (Conley, Harris, Nelson, etc), not LeBron.

• Owner

I'll put it this way: if LeBron is a top PG because he runs the offense and brings the ball up the floor, Kobe has to be one of the greatest PG's of all-time, because he has four championships doing it...and Scottie Pippen has six.

Neither is a point guard. Neither have actually played that position, in the offense. Big, big difference between a point-forward and a point guard.

• Like 1

I'll put it this way: if LeBron is a top PG because he runs the offense and brings the ball up the floor, Kobe has to be one of the greatest PG's of all-time, because he has four championships doing it...and Scottie Pippen has six.

Neither is a point guard. Neither have actually played that position, in the offense. Big, big difference between a point-forward and a point guard.

Plus one for that. Couldn't agree more.