6ers widen coaching search

Guest Zyzz

The Sixers have contacted former Dallas Mavericks coach Avery Johnson and have had a discussion with John Langel, the agent and attorney for former Sixers All-Star guard Doug Collins, the Daily News has learned.

Johnson, Collins and Langel declined to comment. Johnson was not interested when the job was open last year. Collins, who has not coached since 2003, was very interested last year, but was not granted an interview; he has been working as an NBA analyst for TNT.

With president/general manager Ed Stefanski directing the search, they have - again, according to a source - identified Mavericks assistant Dwane Casey, Boston Celtics associate coach Tom Thibodeau and San Antonio Spurs assistant Mike Budenholzer as potential candidates. All three are still involved in the NBA playoffs. Casey was the runner-up for the job last year. Thibodeau was interviewed last year, but was not granted a second meeting.

Source

• Owner

I don't see Thibodeau leaving Boston until Garnett does, to be honest...but who knows.

I like Avery Johnson, but I really think the Sixers should pursue Mark Jackson or Jeff Van Gundy as well. JVG really needs to get back with a team.

• 2 weeks later...

I would absolutely love Larry Brown here if he wasn't so adamant about taking over GM duties. Someone similar—an accomplished, personable guy that would ideally unearth this team's defensive potential—like JVG or even Thibodeau might suffice, and they don't have the baggage. Van Gundy is a long shot, but he would be my first pick.

The best are Van Gundy and Tom Thibodeau. Marc Jackson is a joke. The guy thinks he's too good to be an assistant coach in this league and work his way up just like every other head coach has. Plus he appears to be an idiot on the broadcasts offering nothing, but humorous comments such as "MAMA THERE GOES THAT MAN". Van Gundy said he wasn't interested, and I know Thibodeau has been on a lot of teams radars. The fact that he's still in Boston though makes me think he isn't that interested in becoming a headcoach or he is overrated.

I like Bill Laimbeer too, out of the names that have been mentioned. He'll teach this team how to grow a sack.

"PHILADELPHIA -- Houston Rockets assistant coach Elston Turner has met with the Philadelphia 76ers to discuss the team's vacant coaching job.

Sixers team president Ed Stefanski interviewed Turner on Friday in Philadelphia.

The Sixers also interviewed Phoenix Suns assistant coach Dan Majerle and Portland Trail Blazers assistant Monty Williams this week. The 76ers also have talked to Avery Johnson and Doug Collins.

They fired Eddie Jordan last month after the team went 27-55 in his lone season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5189176

I have a feeling Thibodeau is just another Mike Brown.

A defensive strategist/ genius, only to be overshadowed by his lack of offensive minds. I'd want Thibodeau to be an assistant in Denver, not so sure as the head coach even if he is a big name coaching candidate.

How do you figure?

Regardless, I would still like to give him a chance. We're not in any kind of urgency (or position) to win anyways; I'd prefer using these down years with a constructive coach that will cultivate the youth and groom them into players.

Doug Collins can't coach, he can comment though.

He's a more glorified Eddie Jordan because he was the coach of the Bulls when MJ hit that shot in 1989 to win the series over the Cavs.

He won games? Eddie Jordan also won regular season games... you fire EJ then settle for basically a same coach.

Edited by Snake