Chris Bosh is still Houston's primary target

Dash

Houston, meanwhile, is indeed interested in Miller as a secondary target after the Rockets make their own hard sign-and-trade push for a marquee free agent. But one source said this week that the Rockets-Miller link has been overstated at such an early juncture, with the start of free agency still two months away.

The Rockets’ No. 1 free-agent target? Sources say it’s still Bosh, who earlier this season said the idea of playing in his hometown of Dallas holds limited appeal … but hasn’t said anything to suggest that he wouldn’t play somewhere else in his home state.

If the Raptors and Bosh reach the expected conclusion that it’s time for an amicable divorce, Houston has amassed an enticing cache of sign-and-trade assets. One source, offering one small example, says that the Raptors are intrigued by young forward Jordan Hill, whom the Rockets extracted from the Knicks in the Tracy McGrady three-way deal in February.

Link

Nothing new but at least its confirmed that Bosh is going to be our #1 target this offseason and its interesting that the Raptors like Jordan.

That said, I wouldn't mind taking the pass on Bosh, Houston has so many other roads they can go with all the assets. I'd still love to have Bosh though.

• Owner

Houston would have to hand over a lot more than just Jordan Hill to grab Bosh. There will be plenty of teams interested, some that are looking sign-and-trade as well. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bulls (even though they have the money) will try and offer a sign-and-trade, and Bosh agrees to sort of "give back" to Toronto.

That may be the case with everyone interested, to be honest.

Will there even be enough shots to go around with a Yao, Bosh, Ariza, Martin and Brooks in the same lineup?

Houston would have to hand over a lot more than just Jordan Hill to grab Bosh. There will be plenty of teams interested, some that are looking sign-and-trade as well. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bulls (even though they have the money) will try and offer a sign-and-trade, and Bosh agrees to sort of "give back" to Toronto.

Houston will be offering exprings, HIll and Knicks pick. We might add a bit more to up to the ante but I don't think we'll be throwing all our resources at Bosh.

Houston's offer doesn't have to be the best, its more about where Bosh wants to go rather than Toronto's preference. If Bosh likes Houston enough and our offer is pretty solid then we could be one of the favorites.

• Owner

Toronto wouldn't be able to do anything with the expiring contracts, because they would be expiring for next season. The free agency period everyone wants to participate in is this summer's. Just ask yourself: would you do that trade if you were the Raptors?

Someone will throw out an all-star caliber player. Golden State could offer Monta Ellis. Philly may show interest and try to hand over Iguodala. That's just two teams off the top of my head, and those two players (Ellis and Iggy) would be in Toronto quicker than you could say the name Jordan Hill.

The chance that Houston has, though, will be based on how quickly everyone else signs. If Bron and Wade take forever, Houston has more time to work out a deal because most teams will be focused on those two superstars. Don't get me wrong...Bosh is a superstar, and teams will be interested, but we know where he stands when compared to those two.

The Rockets will need to sweeten the pot with one of their starters. I would be absolutely in SHOCK if Houston started the season with Yao, Bosh, Ariza, Martin and Brooks as their starting five.

If we can get Bosh I will be one happy Rocket fan of course though like Real Deal said if we are to do this deal we would have to give up alot more than just Jordan Hill. I can see Brooks, Ariza, Budinger or Battier, Jeffries, and of course those picks that we got from the Knicks being apart of a sign a trade for Bosh. We would be giving up alot but it would be well worth it. My only problem with this trade though is that Bosh would just be getting off of a injury prone season and thats the last thing we need we already have Yao with he's knee problems and Martin has his problems aswell.

Edited by htownborn

Toronto wouldn't be able to do anything with the expiring contracts, because they would be expiring for next season. The free agency period everyone wants to participate in is this summer's. Just ask yourself: would you do that trade if you were the Raptors?

Someone will throw out an all-star caliber player. Golden State could offer Monta Ellis. Philly may show interest and try to hand over Iguodala. That's just two teams off the top of my head, and those two players (Ellis and Iggy) would be in Toronto quicker than you could say the name Jordan Hill.

The chance that Houston has, though, will be based on how quickly everyone else signs. If Bron and Wade take forever, Houston has more time to work out a deal because most teams will be focused on those two superstars. Don't get me wrong...Bosh is a superstar, and teams will be interested, but we know where he stands when compared to those two.

The Rockets will need to sweeten the pot with one of their starters. I would be absolutely in SHOCK if Houston started the season with Yao, Bosh, Ariza, Martin and Brooks as their starting five.

When dealing with Morey, anything is possible

Edit: already on thread on this.

Anyways if we have to add Brooks along with Hill + Bat + picks then I think we should back out. Bosh isn't the only route we can take.

Edited by Dash

lol players have no say in 'giving back' .. Bosh has no option to either stay with the Raptors or rip them and go to another team. If he leaves he can't influence a team to give back to the raptors in a sign and trade, no team will let a player dictate how to run the franchise.

Bosh needs to go to the Thunder, Warriors, Kings, Houston, New York, Miami or Jersey. I really don't see him doing well on any other team.

• Owner

lol players have no say in 'giving back' .. Bosh has no option to either stay with the Raptors or rip them and go to another team. If he leaves he can't influence a team to give back to the raptors in a sign and trade, no team will let a player dictate how to run the franchise.

Bosh needs to go to the Thunder, Warriors, Kings, Houston, New York, Miami or Jersey. I really don't see him doing well on any other team.

You misunderstood what I was saying.

Bosh could just walk, but if he waits and a team pursues him via sign-and-trade, he can decide to accept it, giving back to Toronto.

If he wanted to leave Toronto and not give them anything, well, he could. He's not restricted. But say one of the teams interested has offered a few players to the Raptors, and Bosh has that team on his radar with another of which he could just take a paycheck from. Instead of leaving Toronto with nothing...maybe he'll do the opposite.

Bosh can probably make the most cash in Houston. We can give him the max and with him playing next to Yao, he would become HUGE in China. Imagine the endorsements and jersey sales and he could be competing with Yao, Lebron and co. for the fan favorite of Chinese fans. The same thing happened with McGrady.

Will there even be enough shots to go around with a Yao, Bosh, Ariza, Martin and Brooks in the same lineup?

I wouldn't be worried about that. When you have that much talent together, your team is going places.

• Owner

And that can be countered with this:

http://blogs.sohh.com/sports/big3.jpg

And that is countered with this:

http://www.sportsposterwarehouse.com/catImages/rockets96cos-1.jpg

Next! :lol:

And that is countered with this:

http://www.sportsposterwarehouse.com/catImages/rockets96cos-1.jpg

Next! :lol:

The Heat in 06 had some old [expletive] players on that roster. Shaq, Zo, J-Will and Toine were all veterans.

Jordan Hill, Knicks pick(s) and expiring contracts like Jared Jeffries and/or Shane Battier? As a Raptors fan, I can definitely say that I would be happy with that trade. In fact, that is one of the best sign and trade scenarios that I have seen floating around in regards to Bosh aside from the Bynum rumor, which I don't really buy.

You have to take into consideration that if the Raptors are making a sign and trade for Bosh, they probably won't exactly be looking for the best package talent wise, but more so a package that gives them more flexibility for the future and help them rebuild, and this package would definitely do that.

You would get a young, cheap asset like Jordan Hill who could possibly blossom in Toronto with a more extended role as the primary backup power forwar. Even if he is a bust, he is on a relatively cheap deal and won't tie Toronto's hands with a large contract like somebody like Monta Ellis or Kevin Martin would. The Knicks picks could end up being great if they don't land anybody in free agency, and even if they do, it is never a bad thing for a rebuilding team to stockpile on picks, especially a team like Toronto who has traded away their fair share of picks over the last few years.

As far as the expiring contracts, I wouldn't say that they have no value, even though you are right when you say that the free agency period everybody is talking about is this seasons. The Raptors could potentially combine the expiring contracts of players like Battier or Jeffries along with the contracts of Marcus Banks and Reggie Evans (about $15M or so probably) and acquire something next season in a three way trade or something.

They may not have as much value as they would have this season, but expiring contracts always have value in this league, especially if you factor in the uncertainty around the CBA.

But the thing is, do you really think that Chris Bosh would even consider playing in Golden State or Philadelphia next season? He has stated on numerous occasions that he wants two things this summer:

1) To be on a playoff team.

2) To be looked at as "the man" and not a second fiddle.

While he would definitely be considered the man in both Philadelphia and Golden State, he still would be in the same situation as he is currently in in Toronto, which is a fringe playoff team with no realistic shot at contending.

Remember, in a sign and trade situation it's not like the Raptors are going to be able to dictate where Bosh goes, as Bosh holds a lot of the power in negotations here. The Raptors do have some leverage, but not nearly as much as they would've had they traded him at the deadline or soemthing.

Also, how much do you think Toronto would want somebody like Monta Ellis or Andre Iguodala if they don't have Bosh on the roster? If Bosh was on the team I agree 100% that they would be great fits, but considering they would be acquiring one of these two (or a similar player) in exchange for Bosh, they really aren't accomplishing much. In fact, I think they would be taking a step back when you consider the fact that they would have around $40M tied into a core of Bargnani/Turkoglu/Calderon/Ellis (or Iggy). They would bascially be in the same position as they are in now, which is a team not good enough to make the playoffs but also not good enough to get any great draft picks either.

That is why I think a package like what Houston would offer would be more enticing then one single player like an Iguodala, Ellis, Kevin Martin kind of player, who is undoubtedly good, but doesn't really help the Raptors considering the rebuilding direction that they would inevitably be heading in.

I think that one thing Houston has in their favor is that they consider Bosh to be Plan A and not Plan B or C like a team like Chicago, Miami or New York consider Bosh. Bosh may see the fact that the Rockets goal this offseason is to acquire him and since they already have an established core that Bosh would be joining, unlike if he were to go to some place like New York or Miami who would still have to bring in plenty of players to surround Bosh and Wade/LeBron, it may appeal to him and he will jump at the opportunity.

This is purely specualation on my part and just a possible scenario that I thought I would throw out there. I do think that Bosh will probably wait until the LeBron/Wade dust settles before coming to a decision on his future.

How often do teams actually trade away a core piece in a sign and trade deal though? I can maybe see Aaron Brooks involved in the deal, but I would be absolutely in shock if Houston doesn't start the seasn with Yao, Bosh, Ariza and Martin on their roster (assuming, of course, that they are where Bosh goes).

Who knows though, I may be underrating the value of a possible sign and trade deal, or you may be overrating it. Nobody really knows at this point.

• Owner

I just don't see how you could be happy with Jordan Hill, I guess (and the picks or cap room), because...well, I don't see how the Raptors can't get a better deal than that.

There has to be a playoff team that wants Bosh and that will offer a better deal, and I can't see why the Raptors pass it up.

Maybe Bosh will stay, and I'll be surprised at that, too.