Who should be the Rockets starting PG

htownborn

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As much as I like Brooks I would actually perfer Lowry as our starting PG. Sure Brooks can shot the rock and he won MIP but look at the things Lowry did this year. Lowry averaged 9 PPG, 4.5 Assist, and 3 boards a game and this is coming form off of the bench so just imagine how good he's stats will look if he starts. Call me crazy but I can honestly see Lowry put up Jason Kidd type numbers from the 90's if given the chance. He's more of a pure PG and he's stronger than Brooks is which means he won't have that much of a problem playing aginst bigger PG's like Deron Williams, he doesn't exactly have Brooks speed and quickness but for he's size he's pretty quick. And on top of everything I would perfer Brooks to come off of the bench anyway. After the Rockets gave up Carl Landry we really had no igniter of off the bench but if we make Brooks our sixth man he can be that igniter for us. I always liked Brooks coming of the bench better and when we originally did the trade for Lowry I felt that he should have been the starter and Brooks should have been the sixth man. Granted Brooks has done good as our starter I just think he can do just as better as our sixth man he could be our Jamal Crawford, Jason Terry or J.R Smith maybe even better.

• Owner

Brooks may help Houston out even more by coming off the bench, but Lowry's numbers don't necessarily mean he's ready for a starting role because those numbers are coming against other bench players.

Houston does need a point that can run the offense, though, and Brooks is definitely no playmaker. Bringing him off the bench, in a role similar to Crawford's, or Terry's, is a good idea...but because there's no McGrady, and both Martin and Ariza are incapable of playing a point-forward slot, the Rockets probably need to bring in a proven point guard before experimenting.

You could start Lowry a few games, and see how he does...but that's a risk, because if he doesn't pan out, you may shoot down all of Brooks' confidence as a starter.

The thing with Brooks is that he doesn't pass the ball, I grew frustrated with him after the deadline deal and he would always ignore Martin. It got better as the season went along but still there was too much dribbling, not enough passing with him. I'm worried that it will grow worse with Yao back in the lineup next season...hopefully he can improve his point guard skills over the summer but I'm not holding my breath.

With Brooks-Martin, we have the worst defensive backcourt in the entire league. Lowry is scrappy on that end and can actually keep his man in front of him. Plus Martin and Ariza seem to play much better with him on the floor. The only knock on Lowry is that he can't hit a jumpshot to save to life.

Neither are starting material on a championship team (unless you plug either on the Lakers but the same thing can be said for Chris Duhon) and I don't prefer one over the other although I like Lowry just a tad more. My dream scenario is trading for someone like a Steve Nash. However, if I had to pick one of the two, I'd say keep Brooks as our starter because he shows up in the clutch and Lowry does wonders with the second unit.