Wizards interested in Beasley?

Dash

According to a league source, the Wizards are open to acquiring Michael Beasley from the Heat this off-season.

The Heat is looking to create more salary cap room and the former second-overall pick struggled at times during his second season in Miami.

The Wizards' front office, which could have more than $21 million in cap room to use this summer, has mixed views on Beasley's game.

Beasley is a Maryland native.

Link

I'm sure Miami is looking for more than just cap space. What could Washington offer them? Beasley? Picks?

We'll take anything worth value lol.

Who on the Wizards roster is of any value to the Heat besides draft picks? lol, not to get down on my own team but we have a pretty pathetic roster at hand, and I doubt we'd be willing to trade our potentially very high draft pick for Beasley.

The draft pick is the only thing of value the Wizards have to trade for Beasley. I don't think it's a good idea to replace Beasley with another player the Heat will need to develop, unless the trade clears enough cap room to ultimately bring in a third max free agent.

I doubt we'd be willing to trade our potentially very high draft pick for Beasley.

Beasley was a #2 overall pick that's already been developed for two years. He's struggled offensively in his sophomore year but his defense has improved tremendously.

The main focus with Beasley while being on the Heat team was his defense. Spo put him on a short leash throughout the year and would shorten his minutes whenever his defense wasn't up to par, so Beasley didn't get the chance to get into his "rhythm" offensively like most stars do, and he'd rarely play the finishing minutes. So during this year, the Heat sacrificed Beasley's offensive abilities to discipline his defense.

If he gets traded to the Wizards, where the coaches will give him the green light as the number 1 option, you'll see a different Beasley than you've seen thus far. He's more comfortable when he knows that he's the best on the court, and with extended minutes plus extra touches, he will likely average somewhere around 25 point per game.

Despite all of this, if I were the Wizards' GM, I'd keep my pick just because of the John Wall possibility. But other than that, I'd trade the pick for Beasley.

On the Heat's end, I'd only trade Beasley for the pick if I absolutely knew that the Heat are getting a third max deal.

The draft pick is the only thing of value the Wizards have to trade for Beasley. I don't think it's a good idea to replace Beasley with another player the Heat will need to develop, unless the trade clears enough cap room to ultimately bring in a third max free agent.

It gives us a chance at these guys:

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Hartford+v+Kentucky+oUT5HMBid4Sl.jpg

http://nbcsportsmedia.msnbc.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/spt-100106-derrick-favors.widec.jpg

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/evan-turner.jpg

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/demarcus-cousins-hartford.jpg

Beasley was a #2 overall pick that's already been developed for two years. He's struggled offensively in his sophomore year but his defense has improved tremendously.

The main focus with Beasley while being on the Heat team was his defense. Spo put him on a short leash throughout the year and would shorten his minutes whenever his defense wasn't up to par, so Beasley didn't get the chance to get into his "rhythm" offensively like most stars do, and he'd rarely play the finishing minutes. So during this year, the Heat sacrificed Beasley's offensive abilities to discipline his defense.

If he gets traded to the Wizards, where the coaches will give him the green light as the number 1 option, you'll see a different Beasley than you've seen thus far. He's more comfortable when he knows that he's the best on the court, and with extended minutes plus extra touches, he will likely average somewhere around 25 point per game.

Despite all of this, if I were the Wizards' GM, I'd keep my pick just because of the John Wall possibility. But other than that, I'd trade the pick for Beasley.

On the Heat's end, I'd only trade Beasley for the pick if I absolutely knew that the Heat are getting a third max deal.

Well Beasley is a terrific player, but I don't see him being on equal level with players like John Wall, Evan Turner, DeMarcus Cousins, etc. This draft is packed with talent, and trading a pick that could snag one of those players for Beasley is just too risky for us. I like Beasley's improvement on both ends of the floor, but I'd be more willing to take my chances with one of the previously mentioned players.

Well Beasley is a terrific player, but I don't see him being on equal level with players like John Wall, Evan Turner, DeMarcus Cousins, etc. This draft is packed with talent, and trading a pick that could snag one of those players for Beasley is just too risky for us. I like Beasley's improvement on both ends of the floor, but I'd be more willing to take my chances with one of the previously mentioned players.

For John Wall, I understand. For anyone else, there's talent and potential, but Beasley is more of a sure thing. He's been developed at the NBA level for 2 years already, and it normally takes potential all star power forwards about 2 or 3 years to start becoming consistently dominant. Despite what some analysts say, I can assure you he is no bust, and he'll reach that level within a year or two, or right away if given the first option.

There is a reason why the organization and Heat fans want the guy out. Why would the Wizards trade a top 6 pick for a guy not even wanted by his team and fanbase?

Beasley may have been developed for two years but a rebuilding team like Washington is in no hurry to win.

he is wanted by fanbase, we like him, but we know spo is a loser and wont let him become the great player that he can become, if its the best for both parties then i wouldnt mind beasley gettin a REAL opportunity like all these other kids got (durant, tyreke evans etc.)

unless spo gets fired and we get a real coach who knows how to run offense and utilize the players better, it would take a lot for beasley to settle in, especially with 1 or 2 possible big time scorers comin in in the off-season..and probably some other pieces as well

Spo took the coaching approach to discipline Beasley. Inflating Beasley's numbers by giving him minutes and touches wouldn't have made him a better player. Riley knew what Spo and the rest of the coaching staff was doing. I fully expect Riles to keep Beasley this summer, and next season he will have more freedom, and his numbers will rise.

There is a reason why the organization and Heat fans want the guy out. Why would the Wizards trade a top 6 pick for a guy not even wanted by his team and fanbase?

Beasley may have been developed for two years but a rebuilding team like Washington is in no hurry to win.

Heat fans don't want him gone. They just realize there's no hope for him under the Spostein regime. So why not cut your losses and get what you can for the guy. He's going to blow up wherever he goes.

We're going to trade for an Antawn Jamison type player?

Can anyone explain this to me?

It better not be for the first round pick, if anything, we should just sign and trade Mike Miller and Randy Foye or something close to it.

We're going to trade for an Antawn Jamison type player?

Can anyone explain this to me?

It better not be for the first round pick, if anything, we should just sign and trade Mike Miller and Randy Foye or something close to it.

The 1st round pick is the ONLY thing that will land the Wizards Michael Beasley. So if there is a trade, that's what it will be. You can't say it isn't a fair deal when Beasley was the #2 overall pick.

For John Wall, I understand. For anyone else, there's talent and potential, but Beasley is more of a sure thing. He's been developed at the NBA level for 2 years already, and it normally takes potential all star power forwards about 2 or 3 years to start becoming consistently dominant. Despite what some analysts say, I can assure you he is no bust, and he'll reach that level within a year or two, or right away if given the first option.

Either way Washington is going to gamble, whether we get Beasley or keep our pick. We either get a player who has yet to meet his expectations but has the potential to be one of the best power forwards in the league, or we draft a player who has the potential to be one of the best players in the league. I'd rather take our chances on one of the draft picks. It's not every day we have a draft class this talented and have a high chance at landing one of the best players in the draft.

The 1st round pick is the ONLY thing that will land the Wizards Michael Beasley. So if there is a trade, that's what it will be. You can't say it isn't a fair deal when Beasley was the #2 overall pick.

Saying he's a former 2nd overall pick has no substance to it at all, it means absolutely nothing to me, nor should it mean anything to the casual fan. Can I say we should go after Kwame Brown because he's a former 1st overall pick?

I don't think we'll trade our first rounder, we learned from last year not to trade it, we passed up on some great talent last year just to acquire a possible one year rental in Mike Miller and Randy Foye...

Foye could be of use to Miami.

Beasley has so much untapped potential. You let him go free you've got a guy who can score 30 on any given night.

So can Andray Blatche, but it doesn't mean we should go after him. He's a one way player, he sucks on defense, and is way too inconsistent for our own good. We have a slacker in Andray, we don't need another headcase.

Our mentality this offseason should be on defense and hustle, not on who can drop 30 each night. We have Gil and Dray on offense, that's enough. Let's get some defenders, shotblockers, and players who actually take pride in taking charges, not players who worry about scoring just to motivate themselves..

If we get Beasley, I'll lose all hope in this franchise. (surprisingly, that's the first time I've ever said that).

That's the misconception with Michael though. He's not a headcase at all. I'd venture to say he was one of, if not the hardest worker on our team this year. He's got a tremendous work ethic.

So smoking pot in the off season (and getting caught) is considered a normal thing for a professional basketball player?

And when I mean headcase, I mean his struggles playing in an 82 game season. He'll become a headcase is he came to D.C. simply because he cannot play consistently nor can he play defense.

So smoking pot in the off season (and getting caught) is considered a normal thing for a professional basketball player?

And when I mean headcase, I mean his struggles playing in an 82 game season. He'll become a headcase is he came to D.C. simply because he cannot play consistently nor can he play defense.

He's been sober since August. So that's that.

2nd, He'd love DC. He's a DC native and would have way more freedom there than he did in Miami to play his type of game rather than run some stupid isolation on the baseline.

His defense has come a looooong way as well. He's never going to be an All NBA defender but he's getting a lot better in that regard.

All I'm saying is that Beasley is not worth our 1st rounder. If they're willing to trade for a player package then by all means I'm down for it, but we're in a rebuilding stage and I'm more comfortable drafting one of the excellent college prospects in this draft rather than gamble with a trade for a troubled power forward in Beasley.

Beasley is from Frederick, Maryland, which is like 40-50 mins away from DC.

And no, in DC he would not be playing the game he wants to play. He wouldn't even be the 2nd option in DC... More like the 3rd behind both Gil and Dray (I still do not think we'd trade our first for him if we get him).

• Owner

Beasley is no bust, not yet at least. Give him room to operate elsewhere before thinking he's not worth a first-rounder.

However, a top three pick? No way...not with Wall, Turner and Cousins still on the board. Those are three players that have potential to be all-stars, two possibly superstars, in the NBA. I don't do that trade if I'm the Wizards.

Beasley is no bust, not yet at least. Give him room to operate elsewhere before thinking he's not worth a first-rounder.

However, a top three pick? No way...not with Wall, Turner and Cousins still on the board. Those are three players that have potential to be all-stars, two possibly superstars, in the NBA. I don't do that trade if I'm the Wizards.

Brandon, what's your assessment of Beasley so far into his career? Personally, I don't think our staff has put him in any situation where he can succeed because of the leash he's been on and it shows with his tentativeness and lack of a killer instinct. The talent is there, its obvious.

• Owner

Brandon, what's your assessment of Beasley so far into his career? Personally, I don't think our staff has put him in any situation where he can succeed because of the leash he's been on and it shows with his tentativeness and lack of a killer instinct. The talent is there, its obvious.

Well, he's getting 30 minutes per game...but my problem with that is that the minutes are so uneven. Not sure if that makes sense, but how about this: you really don't know when he'll be playing. Erik has pulled him off the court, and put him back in, so many different times, it just seemed like he couldn't find a rhythm out there in a lot of the games these first two seasons.

But to talk about his game, I can't really say he's playing up to potential just yet. We know Beasley is an athletic freak. I had to see that crap when he was playing at K-State. However, the rebounding just isn't there, and it may be due to him trying to grab boards using his athleticism, instead of actually boxing out and being smart about it.

Beasley's biggest problem will be fitting in, though. He's not a power forward because of his weight and lack of skills in the post. He also doesn't want to pass out of the post (or pass at all, most of the time). He's more of a two-guard trapped in a large small forward's body.

If he wants to have a successful NBA career, he's going to have to discover his primary position (which will be at the small forward slot), then learn how to pass the ball and know when to shoot, and when to take it to the rim. Beasley would be dangerous if only he could create for himself, but he relies too much on other players, and defenders don't see him as a threat to pass up shots, either, which results in a lot of contested jumpers (and a lower FG%).

Beasley came into the draft as a big man, because that's what he was at K-State. If you look back, it makes sense...but not in the NBA. Beasley needs to do everything possible to mold his game after LeBron James, learning how to pass, how to attack the rim and get shooters open looks, and find out ways to use his athleticism to block shots, steal passes and improve his help defense, overall.

If he were elsewhere, it would be easier to say how well he'll play in the future...but as of now, it's a tough call. He's still just a sophomore, though.