Nuggets want Bobcats' Tyrus Thomas

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/3032.jpg

Nuggets want Bobcats' Tyrus Thomas

The Denver Nuggets were apparently trying to snag forward Tyrus Thomas from the Chicago Bulls earlier this season only to lose out on getting him to the Charlotte Bobcats. But the Nuggets are supposedly still interested in the 6'10" Louisiana State alum and will try to trade for him this summer, according to the Denver Post.

Denver already has about $73 million in salary for next year, which puts the team firmly over the luxury-tax threshold by about $5 million so the Post believes the team could end up dealing someone like J.R. Smith and his $6 million salary next season to make financial room for Thomas.

Between his time with the Bulls and Bobcats, Thomas averaged 6.2 rebounds, one assist, and 9.4 points per game.

----

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_15000284

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't want him. He has 2 bad qualities on this team that we want to get rid of in the first place. Tyrus has:

- Nene's inconsistency: Nene goes for 20 and 10 one night, looking like an All-Star, then just when you get excited of him, he gives you 5 pts and 4 rebounds and 5 fouls. Tyrus is the same way.

- J.R.'s brain: he just doesn't have the game IQ... all he knows is to hustle hard, and jump around in mad hops... but he doesn't know how the game works.

If we get Tyrus, we cannot afford to have him in our top 6 rotation. There is no championship teams in NBA history that would count Tyrus on their top 6 rotation. The only way (if I were the Nuggets coach) is to make him the 7th man, or even 8th man. If he's cool with that, then we can think about this possibility.

Look at the Celtics with Sheed... they thought (when they signed last summer), he would be their 6th man. Sheed rewarded them with uninspired play, no post game, no defense, or the classic "bored to play regular season games" veteran "mentality"... and he is their 7th-8th man now. Glen Davis and Tony Allen are essentially ahead of him. Sheed has been great in playoffs though... I guess he was just bored playing regular season games.

I would never count on a player like Tyrus every game/ produce in important games. Unlike Sheed, Tyrus is unproven. I give up on players like him and Nene. They're too inconsistent to be on any championship aspired team's core rotation.

Edited by SnakeJr