Riley Hints at Coaching Again

Flash

The Heat have extended the contract of team president Pat Riley, who is now hinting that he could return to coaching. Riley wouldn't close the door on resuming his Hall of Fame career when asked Monday. He insisted two years ago that he was "definitely sure that I don't want to do this anymore."

"I'll do whatever is in the best interest of building the team here. Period," Riley said. "Whatever it takes, OK? I'll let you fill in the blanks. ... If some free agent were to say 'I will come here but you must do this,' well, hell, if that happens that day, then I might have to give it some thought."

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/66338/20100503/heat_extend_riley_who_hints_at_coaching/el/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RealGMwiretap+%28RealGM+Basketball+Wiretap%29&utm_content=Twitter#ixzz0mu1kIuXv

Smh.

SMH? This is the best news the Heat's gotten all year if he's willing to do it. Its about winning rings and doing whatever it takes to get them. If we can get some talent in here he's the man who's gotta coach it.

SMH? This is the best news the Heat's gotten all year if he's willing to do it. Its about winning rings and doing whatever it takes to get them. If we can get some talent in here he's the man who's gotta coach it.

So he is going to step in and out of the team depending on when they do or do not have talent? It is bull[expletive] to be honest, Spoelstra did a solid job with a team that is horrible outside of their star, and he deserves a chance to coach a team with talent on it..... he is a lame duck so Riley can coach the good team while someone else is just there in the meantime.

If Heat struggle under Spoelstra okay step in, but for him to can Spoelstra without giving him a chance is bull[expletive].

Edited by travesy3

So he is going to step in and out of the team depending on when they do or do not have talent? It is bull[expletive] to be honest, Spoelstra did a solid job with a team that is horrible outside of their star, and he deserves a chance to coach a team with talent on it..... he is a lame duck so Riley can coach the good team while someone else is just there in the meantime.

If Heat struggle under Spoelstra okay step in, but for him to can Spoelstra without giving him a chance is bull[expletive].

No, that is not Riley's intention.

He said "If some free agent were to say 'I will come here but you must do this,' well, hell, if that happens that day, then I might have to give it some thought."

He's basically saying he will only take over as head coach if a free agent says that they won't sign unless he does.

Comprehension >

You're really giving Spoelstra too much credit. There's a reason Heat fans are overly critical of the guy and its because he's constantly bailed out by Dwyane Wade. How the hell can someone get outcoached by Doc effing Rivers?

His rookie season just happened to be Wade's best season ever and there's no way I credit Spo for much of anything to be honest.

The "Any other ideas?" comment ended it for me.

Its not about what's fair and if he doesn't deserve to be let go. Its about winning and who gives us a better chance to do so? I'm going with Riley.

No, that is not Riley's intention.

He said "If some free agent were to say 'I will come here but you must do this,' well, hell, if that happens that day, then I might have to give it some thought."

He's basically saying he will only take over as head coach if a free agent says that they won't sign unless he does.

Comprehension >

You are honestly an idiot, you are seriously trying to sit here and tell me you know what Riley's intentions are. I am well aware what Riley said, and just because it is what he says doesn't mean it is true, he is probably taking over that team regardless of what FA's want as long as they are a better team.

And Flash, at least you made an actual point, I just think Spo deserves at least a chance, how can you draw conclusions on him when he has such a crappy team?

Its not just the forums fanbase. Its basically the entire city.

So who's better, Spo or a random person picked in the city? And I'm talking about the fans who claim to know better than an NBA head coach.

The only time people have ever complained about Spo's coaching was when Beasley didn't play 36+ minutes. Coaching is beyond that, and he's done a very good job overall.

Edited by Poe

You are honestly an idiot, you are seriously trying to sit here and tell me you know what Riley's intentions are. I am well aware what Riley said, and just because it is what he says doesn't mean it is true, he is probably taking over that team regardless of what FA's want as long as they are a better team.

LOL @ calling me an idiot, when you are the one saying it's bull[expletive] for Riley to do something that he'll "probably" do. I'm at least defending what he actually says his position is. What you are saying is as good as pulling it out of your [expletive], because he never even mentioned that he had the intention of coaching only when the team has talent. Apparently you forgot about the year he coached a team worth 15 wins. You [expletive]ing idiot.

Edited by Poe

He did the same thing to SVG, and IMO it is plain wrong morally and ethically. Spoelstra is a VERY solid coach who payed his dues as an assistant to Riley, and has coached an over-achieving team two years in a row. This team is being built and growing with Spoelstra as the coach, and to keep that intact is important. Riley quit on the team twice when they went from contending to crap, and I'd hate to see him do it again, as great of a coach as he is.

He did the same thing to SVG, and IMO it is plain wrong morally and ethically. Spoelstra is a VERY solid coach who payed his dues as an assistant to Riley, and has coached an over-achieving team two years in a row. This team is being built and growing with Spoelstra as the coach, and to keep that intact is important. Riley quit on the team twice when they went from contending to crap, and I'd hate to see him do it again, as great of a coach as he is.

Van Gundy left because of personal reasons, Riley didn't fire him lol. Riley tried to keep Van Gundy.

In the words of Van Gundy:

"If I'm getting forced out, I would have gotten absolutely every dollar on my contract and walked out the door," Van Gundy said. "That's not what happened here. ... Anybody who's speculating otherwise has to do so in total disregard of the facts of the situation."

Van Gundy left because of personal reasons, Riley didn't fire him lol. Riley tried to keep Van Gundy.

In the words of Van Gundy:

"If I'm getting forced out, I would have gotten absolutely every dollar on my contract and walked out the door," Van Gundy said. "That's not what happened here. ... Anybody who's speculating otherwise has to do so in total disregard of the facts of the situation."

I still don't really believe that. SVG was under a lot of undeserved heat (pun completely intended) after their ECF game 7 loss to the Pistons, Riley supposedly was strongly considering coming back as coach, and once the team started to hit a rough patch in 05-06, Riley was back on the sidelines.

But, be it as it may, I think it'd be a mistake to get rid of Spoelstra unless he really struggles this upcoming season,

Edited by Nitro1118

When have we ever let our team grow and mesh together? If there's a chance to improve and add pieces right away Riley always pulls the trigger.

Again, its not about what's right and wrong. Its about what's going to get us wins and potentially a ring. Do you think Spoelstra gives us a better shot to do that?

This is all I am saying, but apparently in doing so I lack reading comprehension.

When have we ever let our team grow and mesh together? If there's a chance to improve and add pieces right away Riley always pulls the trigger.

Again, its not about what's right and wrong. Its about what's going to get us wins and potentially a ring. Do you think Spoelstra gives us a better shot to do that?

I think the best fit will largely be dependant on who is on the roster next season. If it's mostly young talent that Spoelstra has helped groom, I think Spoelstra might be the better fit. That is NOT to say he is a better coach...not even remotely. But I don't think Riley has the patience at this point to build a contender from a coaching perspective if the team has many of the same faces from last year. For instance, I think if Beasley is to grow, it's going to be under Spoelstra. Under Riley he'll be in the doghouse real quick. And if you guys are to keep Beasley, it will be important that he gets his PT and is given the freedom and proper guidance.

I think the best fit will largely be dependant on who is on the roster next season. If it's mostly young talent that Spoelstra has helped groom, I think Spoelstra might be the better fit. That is NOT to say he is a better coach...not even remotely. But I don't think Riley has the patience at this point to build a contender from a coaching perspective if the team has many of the same faces from last year. For instance, I think if Beasley is to grow, it's going to be under Spoelstra. Under Riley he'll be in the doghouse real quick. And if you guys are to keep Beasley, it will be important that he gets his PT and is given the freedom and proper guidance.

The whole point of what Riles is trying to do is not have the same faces there. I'd be shocked if there's more than 5 or 6 guys left from this years squad by the time we tip-off for our next game.

I've come to accept that Michael is most likely gone.

The whole point of what Riles is trying to do is not have the same faces there. I'd be shocked if there's more than 5 or 6 guys left from this years squad by the time we tip-off for our next game.

I've come to accept that Michael is most likely gone.

The whole point of what Riley is trying to do is have flexibility, and he's succeeded. But I think it'd be a mistake to completely blow everything they've created the last 2 years. There are some bright spots and areas of which if they keep intact, could really help them out the next few years.

I agree with Nitro here. There's no reason to blow up a playoff team. It's best to keep the main core while using the cap room to add a piece or two to strength it.

Wade, Beasley, Haslem, Richardson, Wright, Chalmers, Cook, Anthony, and Arroyo have a good chance of returning for their own reasons.

- Wade, Haslem, and Wright because they've spent their whole careers in Miami (each with at least 6 years).

- Beasley, Cook, and Chalmers because they are under contract.

- Anthony because he's restricted.

- Arroyo because this state is closest to home, plus I believe I heard that Arroyo has the second most sold jerseys next to Wade in Florida (I could be wrong, but it actually isn't that surprising considering all the Arroyo fans in Miami).

- Richardson because he's tight with Wade, plus he has shown a lot of dedication, and Riley loves what he brings.

That's 9 players right there. Add two free agents, a rookie, and that's 12, the required number in this league.

Also, Riley hinted that dynasties are made over time.

"“You don’t do that in one month,” he said. “It takes time.

“When Magic Johnson came to the Lakers in 1979-80,” he said referring to his coaching days with the Los Angeles Lakers, “he joined Kareem. Then (James) Worthy came, then (Bob) McAdoo came, then (Byron) Scott… They all came five, six, seven years apart. To build that kind of team, you have to have a launching pad; you have to have a great start."