Best Rapper Of All-Time?

Legacy

I don't think you can attest the political value Untitled has held with the end of the Bush era and the beginning of the Obama regime. I look at It Was Written as a failed political call for help that Untitled successfully accomplishes. You look at one song, If I Ruled The World, and some of the themes are just illogical and in all honesty stupid. Come on, listen to the chorus - "If I ruled the world, I'd free all my sons....". We saw Nas as immature kid - obviously intelligent on the subject of black history and music considering his fathers background, but not being able to find the right words to describe this feeling of proud-ness.

It Was Written was the bridge between Illmatic, a style in which he talked about life on the streets and visions of being a ganagster, and his B.S that he did with the Firm, which was him acting and talking like a gangster which is the best diss against Nas in 'The Takeover' by Jay-Z. It Was Written was NOT made to be a political statement...at all. Nas didn't really get into political rap until Hip Hop Is Dead.

Untitled subject matter is noteworthy, and some of the points he brings up are very thought-provoking...but his flows, rhymes, rhyme schemes and production choices killed it. Even though you can argue Nas' subject matter from It Was Written (which IMO was a similar but more mature version of Illmatic sprinkled in with a few new ideas), his actual MC skills were a LOT sharper and more consistent throught it than it was on Untitled.

It Was Written was the bridge between Illmatic, a style in which he talked about life on the streets and visions of being a ganagster, and his B.S that he did with the Firm, which was him acting and talking like a gangster which is the best diss against Nas in 'The Takeover' by Jay-Z. It Was Written was NOT made to be a political statement...at all. Nas didn't really get into political rap until Hip Hop Is Dead.

Untitled subject matter is noteworthy, and some of the points he brings up are very thought-provoking...but his flows, rhymes, rhyme schemes and production choices killed it. Even though you can argue Nas' subject matter from It Was Written (which IMO was a similar but more mature version of Illmatic sprinkled in with a few new ideas), his actual MC skills were a LOT sharper and more consistent throught it than it was on Untitled.

Political wasn't the right word, I guess you could say it's more of a racial thing.

BTW have you read the book "Born To Use Mics"? If not, I'd check it out it's super dope. Basically looking at the world through Illmatic. I thought I got most of the themes and subliminal messages but I didn't even brush the surface. I say this as we both have an understanding that Nas is in fact the greatest MC of all time.

Political wasn't the right word, I guess you could say it's more of a racial thing.

Ehhh...except for 'Black Girl Lost,' I just don't really see it too much. I mean to an extent most songs Nas writes, from Illmatic on have a slightly to noticable racial tone, but that comes with the territory of coming from the projects and being a true poet who tries to convey the emotions of living in that environment through his music. I don't consider It Was Written to be a statement of anything in particular, just that bridge between Illmatic Nas and the Firm Nas.

BTW have you read the book "Born To Use Mics"? If not, I'd check it out it's super dope. Basically looking at the world through Illmatic. I thought I got most of the themes and subliminal messages but I didn't even brush the surface. I say this as we both have an understanding that Nas is in fact the greatest MC of all time.

Nah, but I'll check it out if I got the dough. I also want to read that book "How To Rap" that is highlighted on Nas' Wikipedia page under the musical style heading. Looks very interesting.

HipHopHead.

im really curious on something. u always talk about being lyrical an stuff but mf doom is in your top 3.

mf doom is a great artist but not lyrical.

same with wayne, hes not lyrical either.

Eh I'd tend to disagree. MF Doom has a very off-beat style and flow, and he's definately not everyone's cup of tea, but I do think he's a sound lyracist. Just very, very different.

we were actually talking about this at college the other day. who cares who you think is the best lyricist ever? because that is exactly it is who YOU think is the best. why are people even arguing in this thread? for instance, hhh is trying to get everyone to think like him and i got one thing to ask and this is why? why do you care who people think is the best? for me my top five would have to be:

eminem

t.i.

lupe fiasco

biggie

wayne

and that is just because that is the music style i like. so are people on the board going to be like WOAH wayne and t.i. in your top five? but i could ask the same thing who is nas? nas songs are all the same to me. anyone could do what he does, he raps about stuff that anyone from the hood can recall from childhood and then put a very repetitive beat to it.

nas songs are all the same to me. anyone could do what he does, he raps about stuff that anyone from the hood can recall from childhood and then put a very repetitive beat to it.

To quote him on 'Friends' off Distant Relatives, "My value high cuz I do more than rap about a gun."

What makes Nas special is that yes, a lot of his subject matter is regular [expletive] rappers rap about, but how he does it is very different. For example, listen to 'Rewind' where he tells the story backwards, or 'I Gave You Power' where he raps from the POV of a gun.

But I agree, this topic is all personal preference.

we were actually talking about this at college the other day. who cares who you think is the best lyricist ever? because that is exactly it is who YOU think is the best. why are people even arguing in this thread? for instance, hhh is trying to get everyone to think like him and i got one thing to ask and this is why? why do you care who people think is the best? for me my top five would have to be:

eminem

t.i.

lupe fiasco

biggie

wayne

and that is just because that is the music style i like. so are people on the board going to be like WOAH wayne and t.i. in your top five? but i could ask the same thing who is nas? nas songs are all the same to me. anyone could do what he does, he raps about stuff that anyone from the hood can recall from childhood and then put a very repetitive beat to it.

Please don't put ever put Biggie and Wayne in the same grouping ever again... :(

Please don't put ever put Biggie and Wayne in the same grouping ever again... :(

its post like these man. those are the people i like to listen too. why does it matter that biggie and wayne are in the same group? they are both great at what they do and that is entertain.

SMH...

Wayne does his thing. He's put out a ton of material that millions of people listen to every day. Just because you don't think he's that good doesn't mean he sucks.

its post like these man. those are the people i like to listen too. why does it matter that biggie and wayne are in the same group? they are both great at what they do and that is entertain.

You can't expect someone from NY to give Wayne the same type of love they give Biggie, or anyone else from up north for that matter. The contrast in styles is crazy.

SMH...

Wayne does his thing. He's put out a ton of material that millions of people listen to every day. Just because you don't think he's that good doesn't mean he sucks.

Meh, it's just if you listen to a Biggie track, then listen to a Wayne track, infact just do it, lol, you will see what I am talking about.

• 2 weeks later...

HipHopHead.

im really curious on something. u always talk about being lyrical an stuff but mf doom is in your top 3.

same with wayne, hes not lyrical either.

"Do you fools listen to music or do you just skim through it?"

I'm guessing you don't listen to DOOM at any depth...

And why is Lil Wayne brought up in every hip-hop conversation?