Syracuse Orange Thread

Universe

Borderline NIT team if you ask me. I think there are better teams in the Big East.

Don't think they'll finish ahead of

Nova

WVU

Cincy

Georgetown

UCONN

Marquette

Does anyone else think Boeheim (sp?) is on the decline as a coach/recruiter? I don't see him reeling in the same big time talent he was before.

Does anyone else think Boeheim (sp?) is on the decline as a coach/recruiter? I don't see him reeling in the same big time talent he was before.

I don't really know how you can say that. If you are reffering to years after the National championship, we've had a lot of talented players who were underrated heading into to the school. Before Carmelo Anthony, we really didn't have "big" talented names and Carmelo wasn't even predicted to be that good either.

If players had to play all four years, our roster would be:

PG - Jonny Flynn

SG - Paul Harris

SF - Eric Devendorf

PF - Donte Green

C - Arinze Onuaku

It's tough to recruit year after year, especailly getting players to play in Upper New York during the winter so I think he's doing a good job for what he can get and what has happened with his team.

Edited by Universe

But see, Boeheim goes after players that generally have shaky track records... and not too many actually do stay all four years. Same with guys from Memphis/Kentucky.

It's really all about talent though. Now, the chances of your star college player staying more than two years is gotta be less than 25 percent.

It's really all about talent though. Now, the chances of your star college player staying more than two years is gotta be less than 25 percent.

No, I agree, but the attitude problems bother me too... Flynn was a great player who made the right choice, but I REALLY wasn't a fan of Harris or Devendorf. They gave the team sort of a dirty reputation (Devendorf puching his girlfriend) and then always arguing with Jimmy B. I liked this team more back when Melo, GMac, and Warrick were playing. And apparently, Dion Waiters has some big attitude problems too... he will get right up in his teammate's face when he does something wrong. Not a good way to bring an image for a team.

I was always a fan of Harris and Devendorf was a great player for you guys. It just seems to me that Syracuse hasn't been winning like it should with all the talent on their roster year in and year out.

Harris was the 12th overall player on Rivals coming out of HS, Devendorf was 46 overall and Onuaku was a 3 star. So I think there's been plenty of talent there to win in the Big East. When you continuously get classes with 4 and 5 star guys there's no reason you shouldn't be able to compete at a high level.

Also, Melo was the top rated SF in his class nd some thought should head straight into the league so I have no idea how you can say people didn't think he was going to be that good.

Also, Melo was the top rated SF in his class nd some thought should head straight into the league so I have no idea how you can say people didn't think he was going to be that good.

People thought he would lead a team of nothing to the National Championship and upset the favourites? If you predicted he was going to be THAT good then props.

People thought he would lead a team of nothing to the National Championship and upset the favourites? If you predicted he was going to be THAT good then props.

Let's be honest, that team wasn't all nothings because McNamara was a 4 star recruit coming out of HS. That team had some good players on it but I agree when the season started I don't think they were the favorites but once it came tournament time it was clear that was the time to beat IMO.

Let's be honest, that team wasn't all nothings because McNamara was a 4 star recruit coming out of HS. That team had some good players on it but I agree when the season started I don't think they were the favorites but once it came tournament time it was clear that was the time to beat IMO.

All I remember was a lot of negativity towards the team all year long.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/

Syracuse recruiting target Tobias Harris, a 6-8 senior forward from Dix Hills, N.Y., has been blowing up this summer. I've heard that from several Big East assistant coaches in the past week or so. Then I saw this blog item from Adam Zagoria, who writes the terrific Zag's Blog and also reports for SNY.

Syracuse fans will love this item on Harris. His AAU coach compares him to Carmelo Anthony and Harris likes the comparison.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/

Former Syracuse University basketball star guard Gerry McNamara will join the Orange coaching staff as a graduate assistant, head coach Jim Boeheim said Wednesday.

McNamara, who has been in town this summer conducting camps at Onondaga Community College, will be taking graduate courses at SU this fall and will make regular appearances on radio station TK-99, home of the Gomez & Dave Morning Show.

If former Duke basketball star Greg Paulus joins the SU basketball staff as a student manager after finishing the football season, the Orange will have two new members to mentor the team.

syracuse.com

Orange recruiting target Fabricio De Melo (aka "Fab Melo") has reportedly narrowed down his list to four schools - Louisville, Syracuse, Florida and Miami. Fab Melo, a 7-foot, 267-pound center from Brazil, took an unofficial visit to the SU campus in May.

Melo, a top-five prospect in the Class of 2010, transferred from his school in Brazil to Sagemont High School in Florida, and had to sit out last season due to state rules regarding international transfers.

Fab Melo told Gatorsports.com's Kevin Brockway he wants to make a decision next week, before he goes home to visit family in Brazil. Brockway adds a source close to Melo believes his decision will come down to Syracuse and Louisville, and "the consensus among AAU coaches and recruiting analysts is that Melo is heavily leaning toward Syracuse."

Fabricio De Melo, a 7-foot, 267-pound center from Sagemont High School in Florida, has decided to play for Syracuse University, his high school coach confirmed on Tuesday.

The Brazilian native, who goes by Fab Melo and is listed as the No. 5 overall prospect in the class of 2010 on Scout.com, has been recruited by several top D-I schools. He narrowed down his list to Syracuse, Louisville, Florida and Miami before making his final decision this week.

http://www.syracuse.com/today/index.ssf/2009/08/top_basketball_recruit_fab_mel.html

Just a few hours before he boarded a plane and flew home to visit his family in Brazil on Tuesday, top basketball recruit Fabricio De Melo announced his decision to play for Syracuse University.

'Fab Melo,' a 7-foot center, chose SU over several top Division I programs, including Louisville, Florida State and UConn. "I'm very excited about the opportunity that's been given to me by Coach Boeheim," Melo said. He said he looks forward to "feeling what it feels like to stand out in front of all those people in the Carrier Dome and experience what it's like to play there."

http://www.syracuse.com/today/index.ssf/2009/08/fab_melo_talks_about_his_decis.html

:wub:

Edited by Universe

• 2 weeks later...

'Cuse coming closer with Brandon Knight, the number one overall prospect for 2010. Getting exciting!

Miami UK battle again.

I hear Miami leads for him. There were rumors of a commitment a while back so he might be a silent I don't know.